Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Clutch replacement.. stock or south bend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch replacement.. stock or south bend?

It's time for a clutch..... After installing the new quadzilla adrenaline, putting it on 9, letting the clutch out and then stomping it.. All four rear wheels spinning, truck goes sideways. :-D Afterwards, I have been running it on setting 2, and was noticing some slipping towing 8,000lbs when i hit 22 lbs of boost.
I was looking at the south bend 3250. ( $1450 for clutch and hudraulics).. Husband looking at stock replacement for $200 for clutch. Of course $$ is a factor, we are not independently wealthy and the bathroom does need remodeling. I want to be able to turn up the quad to 9 and not worry about it, or hook to 15,000 and not think twice. Husband says don't haul that much weight... Someone help me out with some good arguing points here!. lol
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hands down......SOUTH BEND! Do it once and do it right. The stock clutch will band aid until it goes again then you are under the truck for another replacement.

If you want to use the power you have, upgrading the clutch would be a 1 time fix. I fully support Peter at South Bend Clutch and he has treated me and thousands of others with top notch support and quality product.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:08 PM

It all depends on what you can afford.

Like Jason said, a stock clutch is basically throwing $200 down the toilet. And chances are, when you get it installed, it's gonna slip.

They don't like torque.

A South Bend Clutch is doing it right the first time.

But you guys have to set limits for yourselves. Bathroom first, truck second.

Turn the programming down for a little while.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 2,380 Likes on 1,573 Posts
If you tow heavy and want to use ALL the new power, a stock clutch might slip from the day you put it in.
I have been towing 10,000 with my '01 on the setting 4 out of 5 on my Edge Juice Attitude for years.
I put a South Bend in soon after the power upgrades.
I have been towing 80,000 miles on it since I put it in, and it works as it should.
Towing a live load like Horses, with a truck that is stuck on the side of the road with a smoked clutch doesn't sound like fun.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM

I vote for South Bend. I really like my OFE. Its a little grabby when backing up with a heavy load. So a dual disk might be a better choice for you since you haul horses. The dual disk will give you more ability to 'slip' the clutch while backing up.. I would stay away from any chain store clutch kits (o'reilly, Napa). If you are going with a stock clutch id back off on the Quadzilla and put it back to stock for a decent clutch life. Also be sure to have your flywheel turned if using the factory flywheel..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My stock clutch also slipped with my fifthwheel behind it {13k} on inclines or when I put my foot in it. I have an Edge programer and set it on #2 for towing. I had a South Bend G-56 installed and the problem was solved. Funny thing though my old clutch had over a 100k on it and it didn't look as bad as I thought it would be just couldn't handle the HP or weight.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Simplest way to look at it, are you putting it in yourself?

Stock MIGHT crutch you for a year or so. Once you have the power, ain't no way you won't use it.

If you are paying a shop to put it in, you have to factor the cost to put the DD in when the stocker gives up the ghost. I haven't paid for a clutch replacement in many years, but even back then, I remember the labor as a big ouchie on the total cost.

I went SB DD and am just waiting on my stocker to die to put it in..........
Old 05-01-2013, 12:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by horselady
It's time for a clutch..... After installing the new quadzilla adrenaline, putting it on 9, letting the clutch out and then stomping it.. All four rear wheels spinning, truck goes sideways. :-D Afterwards, I have been running it on setting 2, and was noticing some slipping towing 8,000lbs when i hit 22 lbs of boost.
I was looking at the south bend 3250. ( $1450 for clutch and hudraulics).. Husband looking at stock replacement for $200 for clutch. Of course $$ is a factor, we are not independently wealthy and the bathroom does need remodeling. I want to be able to turn up the quad to 9 and not worry about it, or hook to 15,000 and not think twice. Husband says don't haul that much weight... Someone help me out with some good arguing points here!. lol
stock clutches are for stock power , that says it all
Old 05-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
You can purchase that clutch with out the hydraulics as well and save some money Most people don't need the upgraded hydraulics on that year (unlike those with the G56) trans unless yours is bad/ leaking fluid.

You can always add that later if you want.

Gimme a call here at the DTR Performance Shop and you can get member pricing on that thing as well
Old 05-01-2013, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)

Gimme a call here at the DTR Performance Shop and you can get member pricing on that thing as well
WORD!

Lary took exceptionally good care of me on my 3250.........
Old 05-02-2013, 08:32 AM

Received 2,380 Likes on 1,573 Posts
I got my S.B. from lary too.
I am using factory hydros with my South Bend OFE
Old 05-24-2013, 07:39 AM

for smooth engagement and power holding the $950 HD 13-125 OK clutch is best... the dual discs and ceramic lined clutches will hold more power but will be kinda jerky backing that trailer up.... I tink this one is rated at 550 hp and 900 ft lbs. It is South Bends best organic lined clutch. This part number is not advertised on most dealer websites so you may have to call direct or be sure your dealer sends you right one as near the same part number is offered but its a 13-125 CK that is ceramic disc. That price includes a new flywheel with the good pilot bearing. If you call South Bend directly and talk to Manseil he is the diesel guy and pretty much runs the show there. He has seen everything break and got guys set up with what they need without overclutching. The number there direct is 574-256-5064. They are about 10 minutes from my house and I've got clutches from them for 25 years.
Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM

I want to be able to turn up the quad to 9 and not worry about it, or hook to 15,000 and not think twice.
No way the stock clutch will do that. Get the South Bend, it's cheaper in the long run. By the time hubby wrestles the trans out and back in he will agree...

PS - If you're going to pull 15K you better make **** sure the trailer brakes are in tip top shape.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:26 PM

Your HP levels are below mine if you are topping out at 22psi. You are overfueling, and your turbo can easily support your fueling if you turn it up with a boost elbow. Otherwise, you are smoking excessively and making less power, worse fuel efficiency.

Having said that, you can skate by with a stock clutch for holding power- it will only slip at low rpm max load- IE bogging the engine. The issue is not the holding power on the stock clutch, but the weak hub on the clutch disk. The friction lining is bonded to sheetmetal that is riveted onto the main hub and is weak. It will eventually wrinkle and the clutch will drag- unless you are gentle... So a stock disk is OUT OF THE QUESTION imo.

Another option is Valair. I got the organic lined HD disk with pretty much stock pressure plate clamp force, and it almost always holds- even baking dual big rig rubber on pavement. But it tows nice (not grabby) and has been durable so far. VERY cost competitive. $370 for the kit.

http://www.valairinc.com/performance/24nv5600.html

The reason this clutch holds that kind of power is that around '99 the input shaft was updated from 1.25" to 1.375" and the clutch diameter was increased from 12.25" to 13". Yours should have the bigger 13" clutch to begin with.

If you turn up the turbo, you may make more power than I am putting through this clutch though, and with 100hp injectors, 65hp chip, and 35psi, I am at the limit with it.