Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Clutch advise (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/clutch-advise-20878/)

59Dsul 12-02-2002 09:15 PM

Clutch advise

Having thoroughly fried what was left of my Centerforce clutch over the weekend [eyecrazy], i've got to seriously start looking for a new clutch. I was hoping to get some info from those running the Mitchell dual-disk or McLeod dual disk. I sled pull about 7-10 times per year and have decided not to go with a single disk again. How is the pedal feel from these two? Also, I've heard problems with high rpm shifting, is this true? See my signature for more info about mods.<br>thanks in advance, andy

ridofpwrstroke 12-05-2002 04:18 PM

Re:Clutch advise

this is kind of off the subject, but when you pull, do you leave it on 4 high or do you go to 4 low. Also, do you shift when your pulling. I was kind of getting the itch to do it up here. Just want to see how far the dodge can go. Any info would be great.

59Dsul 12-05-2002 06:15 PM

I run low range 3rd (mines a 5 speed). I've watched guys try to shift before, it's never turned out well for them.

ridofpwrstroke 12-05-2002 06:20 PM

can you get more speed running in 3rd low than 1st high? It will start out in 3rd low with all that weight? Thanks for the info.

59Dsul 12-05-2002 06:36 PM

I read somewhere that it's better on the t-case to run low range, can't remember where I found that. 3rd low has worked well for me so far, I'm usually tached out by the 75 foot mark. I would like to try 4th but I've been told it will really stress the driveline.

Rob Thomas 12-05-2002 06:53 PM

I have the Mitchell Pulling Clutch, it's one badarse clutch, I love this thing! I really don't need to say anymore about it for pulling, it's a pulling clutch.......

The pedal pressure is not much (if any) harder to push than stock, one would expect it to to harded, since it holds 2800#'s worth of torque, but it's not.

I pulled in Jesup GA a couple weeks ago, in 4th low (6-speed), did 291', the only guys that beat me were the twin turboed 12valvers (all had the Mitchell clutch in they're trucks), 3 of 4 were trailered to the event. I drove there and back, 2400 miles. I pulled with other clutches, and never made it very far (cause of slipping of course) this clutch rules the sled-pulling roost!

I also drag race with this clutch, it's definatly not designed for racing, however I did muster my best E/T with it, and I can launch in 3rd, maybe even 4th with some more HP. With all the mass of the clutch, it sometimes has a mind of it's own when drag racing, one pass it's great, on the next it may not go into gear, but I live with it.

On the street it's fine, never missed a shift, and 3rd gear launches/burnouts are awesome. I tow trailers almost daily, in tight backing areas without issue, I have no complaints about this clutch. Hope this helped a little.

Later, Rob

Don M 12-05-2002 07:03 PM

If you are going to pull....get a pulling clutch. The Cummins is now capable of more power nowadays with less work to get there. Bolt on stuff is taking the trucks to 500plus HP. <br>Think of safety if your power is going up that direction. <br><br>Rob,<br><br>Get yourself a blanket and blow proof bellhousing when you can. Your clutch is fine for pulling, but exploded stuff is bad news for feet, legs, the crowd, etc.<br><br>Don~<br>

59Dsul 12-05-2002 07:04 PM

Thanks Rob for the info. Now I need to see if Mitchell is running a Christmas sale for them ;D

Rob Thomas 12-05-2002 07:09 PM

Don, <br><br>I'll have a blanket before next season, even though I think Dave's mishap was a fluke. Besides, he has a few more HP than I, my truck just twists drive-lines. ;)<br><br>Later, Rob

Promoter 12-05-2002 07:32 PM

Hey Rob--Do you have a steel flywheel or are ya running a machined out cast one?

Rob Thomas 12-05-2002 07:51 PM

[quote author=BULLWAGON link=board=7;threadid=7805;start=0#76280 date=1039138331]<br>Hey Rob--Do you have a steel flywheel or are ya running a machined out cast one?<br>[/quote]<br><br>Huh, that's a good question ( I never asked them, or paid any attention when I installed it.), I'd guess cast, but I will find out tomorrow, sorry.<br><br>Later, Rob

oldred97 12-05-2002 08:16 PM

Whatis your best e/t rob?<br>If you don't mind me askin. :)

Promoter 12-05-2002 08:25 PM

No problem...just curious.

Rob Thomas 12-05-2002 08:34 PM

[quote author=oldred97 link=board=7;threadid=7805;start=0#76313 date=1039141007]<br>Whatis your best e/t rob?<br>If you don't mind me askin. :)<br>[/quote]<br><br>15.40 @7960#'s and 30 knot headwind, it was just a few weeks ago, I'll have to wait until the snow melts to better it, it's faster I'm sure. (BTW, that was the first time at the track with this clutch), I know, excuses, excuses. ;D<br><br>Later, Rob

ridofpwrstroke 12-06-2002 11:34 AM

How much does the pulling clutch cost? Is it better than a SBC? I am upping the power slowly and the clutch is my next option. Thanks for the info, this is great info.