Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Chipping my truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chipping my truck

I have read all kinds of information about different chips & power modules but all I see or read about is using them with automatic transmissions. I have a six speed manual. Do I get the same advantage or any advantage at all with a chip? What about fuel mileage increase?
Old 08-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Muted User

Good Lord, YES !!!!! TONS of improvement!!!! What ever gave you the idea they only helped autos??? As for mileage its unchanged, ecxept for the first few months, when its worse because you cant keep your foot out of it since its so much FUN !!!!!!!

KP
Old 08-28-2005, 12:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will get/feel an improvement with a chip/box. It will not be as big as an auto or 5 speed because of the HO pump. HO pumps wont see much over 90 RWHP gain from any box. An SO pump could see 180 RWHP gains from some boxes. I have a TST PM3 on my HO and I dynoed just over 90 RWHP and just over 290 RWTQ. Is it worth it? Every penny IMO. As for fuel mileage, mine is worse now then when I bought it. New I'd average 21+/-. Now I'm 18+/-. This has to do with other things such as lift and 35" tires IMO.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Army_guy, I have an EZ and it really woke up my truck. I had some warrenty work and had to remove the Ez and when I was driving it home I thought what a Dog, so I quickly reinstalled the EZ There are lots of options out there to choose from. First thing you need are guages, pyro, fuel for sure and a boost. Bigger exhaust won't hurt and a better air intake or filter. I pull a 27ft fithr somewhere between 8500 and 9500lbs I usually get between 15 and 16 miles a gallon. The best mph so far unloaded is 20mph. I drive with my EZ on the low setting and am very pleased with the performance. But as I said, do some research there are ton's of options for you. Bigger injecters will work well too, say Mach 1.6's, they are in my future

Gary
Old 08-30-2005, 01:15 PM
Muted User

hey guys, i just switched my HO pump to the SO pump and it made a world of difference with just the switch. i was just wanting more and didn't know where to get it until it was mentioned to me to do the switch. just a thought for those of you all out there who have the HO motor and want to get more power out of it for either pulling or dynos. then i hooked my TST comp up with my edge EZ and all i can say is WHOAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! it made a crazy difference. thanks.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:40 PM

So whats the difference between the HO pump and the SO pump and why can you get more out of the SO pump? It would make more sense to me that you could get more out of the HO pump.

Aaron
Old 08-30-2005, 03:30 PM

army guy, I have a 5spd so it's not a direct comparison to your 6spd but I can say the edge comp kicks serious a$$ with a stick! I highly recommend it. Even without the wire tapped, it feels like a 8000 pound race car. You blow through the gears a lot faster. It will lay rubber with ease. When you get used to the power on the EZ setting and it's gets boring, you can tap the wire and it's on again

That's good to know abut HO vs SO. I got lucky when I got a SO because I had no idea how limited the HO's are. I could just as easily got an HO.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:55 PM
Muted User

I believe there is a lot of confusion as to the difference between an HO and SO pump. The HO has slightly smaller volume plungers but operates at a siginificantly higher pressure. The result is that in stock form the HO engine makes a few more ponies than the SO engine and the HO has SMALLER injectors. It is because of this that HO engines wake up better to an injector change than SO engines. When the time comes to go nuts with fuel, then the SO pump is a better option. 90% of the street driven bombed CTD's that are aound have fueling levels well within the HO pump.

If the injectors are stage 4 or smaller, and certainly if they are stock, then changing from an HO pump to an SO pump will cause you to LOOSE power. The truck in question has stage 6 injectorsso it picked up from the swap from the HO to SO pump. But I wouldnt want to mislead guys into thinking that with their small sticks, this would be a change they would want to do.

That being said, several companies offer what is commonly referred to as the Hot Rod VP44. This is a hybrid pump, which has the large volume plungers of the SO pump and the discharge pressure of the HO pump. Now that right there is nothing but GOOD

KP
Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not all six speeds are HO's. You can be like me and have a SO six speed, but I have the small input shaft though.