Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   cheap way to install blowoff valve?? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/cheap-way-install-blowoff-valve-148177/)

wadecool 04-25-2007 02:39 PM

cheap way to install blowoff valve??

I know there's a DIY way to put in a blowoff or popoff valve on my truck. I love the sound they make when you are shifting gears, but I don't want to spend very much. Seems like I remember someone saying you could get the parts at a plumbing supply house. Can anybody help me out with this? Any info will be appreciated.

Jturs 04-25-2007 03:02 PM

do CTD's even have blowoff vavles cause i have never seen it or heard of it?

Big Smoky 04-25-2007 03:29 PM

I think BD makes a kit, but it's very expencive and I don't think it's worth it at all. It just makes you loose all boost between shifts.

Turbodriven 04-25-2007 03:37 PM

It better be electronically actuated since their is no vacuum with a diesel. Hard to work one with out that. lol

Big Smoky 04-25-2007 03:39 PM

The BD is electric

Gotlift01 04-25-2007 03:49 PM

Yep the only one that I know of is the one from BD. And it's VERY expensive!!

~Nick

Mglass1045 04-25-2007 07:13 PM

If it's only going on a manual trans truck why not just get a large electric solenoid and have it triggered by the clutch switch?

inline6power 04-25-2007 07:27 PM

i got one in the classifieds that i am willin to sell at 1/2 price of original

600 Megawatts 04-25-2007 07:48 PM

Oh, well I'll butt in on this subject again....

Blow off valves are not required on an engine which doesnt have a throttle.

But if you just want to make noise, Ok

Kp

inline6power 04-25-2007 07:51 PM

so turbo bark means nothing to you then right? because it completely stops turbo bark, which can break a shaft or cause your bearings to go out faster. you dont need a throttle on a diesel buddy, the BD turbo gaurd goes off your APPS sensor and is electronictly controlled.

sleepr tsi 04-25-2007 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 600 Megawatts (Post 1479235)
Blow off valves are not required on an engine which doesnt have a throttle.

Kp

I was thinking the same thing, their job is to stop a pressure wave from bouncing back and trying to stop the turbo from spinning.

I thought maybe I was missing something...

inline6power 04-25-2007 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by sleepr tsi (Post 1479243)
I was thinking the same thing, their job is to stop a pressure wave from bouncing back and trying to stop the turbo from spinning.

I thought maybe I was missing something...

you both should look up what turbo bark means then lol

dieselrob 04-25-2007 08:20 PM

It will help turbo live a slightly better life im shure . On a gasser you a throttle plate which blocks the intake air off upon letting off the throttle, which is what a blow off vavle is acually for. On our trucks when you let off the throttle the air will still go threw the engine but there will be some back up. On stock to lightly moded trucks theres no need at all other than sound, on highly modded high boost situations there could be a need but not really either. There are very few people running them bd bov and everyone else is doin fine.

KITCHEN 04-25-2007 08:56 PM

OK. But now check this out..i get the bark/back pressure so bad it blows air into my injecters and shuts down the engine..the only way to restart it is to bleed the air out of the injecters...do you guys have any clues??? thanks..

sleepr tsi 04-25-2007 10:45 PM

^^That doesn't seem right...

Inline6..I'm new, I looked for it and couldn't find anything but people talking about it....So what is turbo bark?