Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:41 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use a Frantz TP oil cleaner. It works very well. If it is certified for use in an air plane by the FAA, then it must be good.
There is a lot of info on this subject over in Bob's the Oil Guy.
Ralph Wood has been using TP filters for near a billion years, with no problems.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Same here. My dad has been using these on his vehicles for decades. He taught me everything i know about engines. And after seeing these filters work, i swear by them too. When the get fulled out dirty, you can see that they dont collapse and fall into the oil. they stay **** rigid and form a really descent seal. Get one and put it on your truck and have some peace of mind.
Old 06-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The TP systems are just as good as they have always been. The people with "40 years' experience in the filtering business" still don't look past what they're used to and comfortable with, just as they always have done, and remain ignorant about everything else.

Admittedly though, these systems aren't for everyone. Those who remain convinced that any bypass filter system is snake oil, as well as those who think there's only one use for TP will still be perfectly well suited with a Fleetguard Stratapore full-flow filter.

I just installed a GCF paper towel bypass filter on my 2000 and plan on putting a Frantz TP filter in my cooling system.

Mike
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 AM

Filter toilet paper fuss

I skipped all that and went with a Filter Mag. It captures all metal in the oil that gets past the stock filter. All regular oil filters have to let 4 microns and smaller particles through or the filter would clog too soon. The rare earth set of powerful magnets in the Filter Mags has such strong fields they reach across even 4+" metal filter housings and hold the metal to the wall of the spin-on filter till you take it off and remove it. It's cool to leave the curved Filter mag on the filter after removal and cut off the top to see just how much metal they take out of the engine each time.
Have two 5.9 2001 Dodges, one that is fully MicrolonAmerica treated that I use hard and one that is not and the non-treated truck's filter sure has a lot more metal collected on the inside of the filter. Guess Microlon really works.

2001 4x4 canopy, 315 x 75 x 16" tires, Ranch Hand brush and animal grill guard with Warn TII 9,500 winch,, built auto trans with Recon converter, Edge Easy with stock air box but carbon fiber intake neck and Aero muffler and 4" exhaust. Have 115 Gal. full fuel tank with tool box in bed. Get 22 to 24 MPG @ 65 MPH when running my HHO system with 12 plate drycell. Without 20 to 22 MPG.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:19 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
It's probably worth pointing out that magnets will only pull ferrous metal, and won't have any effect on non-ferrous metal or other particulates. You might get some non-ferrous stuff sticking to the iron particles which would get pulled out with them though.

Mike
Old 06-23-2010, 07:49 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I made my own bypass system using Baldwin filters and housings. Overall, fairly easy. I have magnets stuck to both filters to capture any metal flowing thru. The setup has worked really well and the oil stays clean. IMO, any added filtration setup that "still" allows oil psi to remain within spec is going to provide superior filtration over a stock setup....same with the fuel supply and filtration.