Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good post Charles, but it's hard to get some people to understand and/or believe what a good job the TP filter does.
Old 02-14-2004, 06:55 PM

Hey guy's, this a very interesting that I ran across this thread. I was at a filter supplier on Friday and was speaking with a fine gentleman who has been dealing in the filtering business for forty plus years (Just a wee bit of experience I would say) I was asking him whether he would have replacement elements for my oilguard bypass system. He took one look at the cartridge and laughed, he said where in the heck did you get that thing from?? he said that technology is from the 50's he couldn't believe that the companies selling these systems are making claims of 10 microns filtration with string wound filters, more like 150 maybe. He went on to tell me about the toilet paper farce. He said he has personally seen dozens and dozens of engines destroyed by this type of filtration system. He said alot of people get caught up in the sales pitch and really don't understand the filtration process. Fleetguard Filters ( Strataport) are one of the best filters on the market he claimed. (also what I use) he went on to sya that with alot of the new technology filters out there it is not necessary to add addittional bypass components. Yes, I agree that if you cut a fleetguard filter apart you will find that the substrate is paper but it is a completely different composition than butt wipe. After acouple of hours speaking with this kind man I have changed my thinking with regards to my existing oilguard system. Anyone interested in buying a slightly used system cheap even has an extra cartidge. To each his own but I I'm starting to be a little more cautious about what I will do with my investment.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:07 PM

Thank you For your kind reply remarc31. All the information I can find says that oil in a engine does not wear out. It mearly gets the additives used up by captureing the various bad elemnts of the combustion process. Full flow filters are a compromise in getting enough oil flow and removing the bad boys attached to the additive molecules. Therefore if you remove the dirt more efficiently and replace the scavanger molecules You have the best of all worlds. A clean engine is a good engine. And the really good part is you save a ton of money. It costs me arround $65.00 to change oil every 3,000 miles

1992 250 Banks, exaust brake, Rebuilt Auto Tranny at 150,000 tow 27 ft Holiday Rambler Fifth Wheel.
Old 02-15-2004, 12:59 AM
DJ

stonewalldiesel....you have a pm
Old 02-15-2004, 01:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Spike45
I would like to announce that we have now added a Venturi lube filter for the ISB and B5.9 engine. This will give you a Stratapore full flow element combined with a stacked disk bypass filter in one spin on shell. No extra plumbing required to install. LF9027
The commercial engine (non Dodge) uses a larger thread on the filter housing. The space is the limitation on the Dodge due to the Air Condtioning compressor, I doubt that the unit you are talking about will fit on the Dodge. The filter could not be any longer than maybe one inch and that with bending the air lines for clearance. The adaptor with the threads screws into the housing and I would assume that the housing threads are the same but they have a special tool to screw it in and I was not able to remove it with anything that I could set up here. I looked at various filters at Cummins that fit the larger thread and for the most part they were essentially the same as the Dodge filter, so decided to change the plate and go with the Dodge filter. I could find no differences in the relief valve or the plate, or the relief spring. I spent the better part of two days considering and looking at the options on this main filter deal, but could not find a superior filter that would fit in the Dodge. I would not feel comfortable changing the main filter/oil system.
Old 02-15-2004, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Charles C. Stan
Thank you For your kind reply remarc31. All the information I can find says that oil in a engine does not wear out. It mearly gets the additives used up by captureing the various bad elemnts of the combustion process. Full flow filters are a compromise in getting enough oil flow and removing the bad boys attached to the additive molecules. Therefore if you remove the dirt more efficiently and replace the scavanger molecules You have the best of all worlds. A clean engine is a good engine. And the really good part is you save a ton of money. It costs me arround $65.00 to change oil every 3,000 miles

1992 250 Banks, exaust brake, Rebuilt Auto Tranny at 150,000 tow 27 ft Holiday Rambler Fifth Wheel.

Is that a typo or do you spend 65 bucks to change your oil??
I buy 4 jugs at Costco for 35 bucks and filters from Gino's. Not near 65 bucks an oil change and I have no special system on my truck.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:11 PM

I live in a rv and so most places I am parked don't allow oil changes on sight. So that is the going price at most of the lube joints for three gallons of oil and a filter Besides I am older than dirt and don't do much nuckle bustin
Old 02-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Charles C. Stan
I live in a rv and so most places I am parked don't allow oil changes on sight. So that is the going price at most of the lube joints for three gallons of oil and a filter Besides I am older than dirt and don't do much nuckle bustin
okay that makes sense. Ford dealer around here does any diesel for 39.99.
Old 02-16-2004, 09:47 PM

Now that it's settled that TP is good in a lot of places. does any one have a comment about where to easily return the oil to the crankcase from a by pass filter. What about right in to the vaqlve cover or into the oil fill spout. The input is easy as the turbo gets its oil from the top of the full flow filter either by Tee or I saw another opening right next to it which could be used. I hate the idea of getting underneath and punching a hole in the upper part of the pan. The oil flow I am told is about 1 to 2 quarts per minute. The return line from the turbo is an option but not easy to get at.

1992 ram 50 Banks and BD brake Rebuilt auto at 155,000 She's white and looks Cherry and I love her.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:50 PM
krh

goin waaay back on this one. Anything ever come of the tp filters? Has any new info come up in the last 5 years?
Old 11-21-2009, 01:19 PM

I'm sure the TP filters were great 20 years ago when spin on filter technology wasn't as good as today. Aside from advances in spin on filter technology oil companies have been spending millions on developing oil to handle the high levels of suit created in new egr diesel engines. CJ4 oil may look dirty but by design it captures all the crap egr engines are throwing in. If you want an extended drain interval use synthetic CJ4 5w40. I wouldn't go through the headache of adding bypass filter systems. Just my .02

Quick Reply: Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....