Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....

Old 02-12-2004, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haulin are you putting this system on for $$$ savings on oil changes or to filter the oil better?? If it is for better filtering I would like you to do an oil analysis before (with what you have in the truck now) and a while down the road with the oil bypass system. I don't hear of too many (if any) 5.9 ISB's eating cranks because of dirty oil.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:02 PM

My Ex-brother in-law had one of these systems on his dodge charger, and that was 25-30 years ago, he never had a problem with the engine. The first time I saw him go in the house and come out with a roll of tp, I thought he was crazy, he just laughed and showed me the car.
Haulin, when you get it installed, if you're in the area, swing by the shop, I'd like to see it and get some pictures, and for everyone else's info, paper makers have a certain standard for each grade of paper made, they don't just grind up a tree, cook it down to mush, and skeet it out. Making paper is like cooking a nice dinner, there are recipes, and the stink from a papermill is not the paper, but the chemicals put into it while being "cooked"
Old 02-12-2004, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Spike45
I have been watching this thread for the past several days and have been reluctant to weigh in on this topic since I see a lot of postings related to what someone knows because somebody is selling the product. The "fact" listed above is groundless. I work as a field service engineer for a filter company. HD truck applications that use bypass filtration do not use toilet paper. They think more of their engines than that. Typical bypass filtration is accomplished usually by some type of spin of filter such as a stacked disk type, some use pleated paper, some use a combination filter that contains both a full flow and a stacked disk bypass in one spin on housing. Bypass filtration systems such as the old Luberfiner or the present harvard systems use a cartirdge containing, highly compressed shredded newsprint and saw dust. The blunt edge of low tech. But pretty effective at filtering. These would not be suitable for a Dodge application as they are quite large, as a rule. Toilet paper or paper towel filters have the distinction of "channeling" where oil creates a continuous path through the paper and goes largely unfiltered. I have heard those claims about being able to filter down to 1 micron (that's 39 millionths of an inch, 1 millionth of a meter). My handkerchieft can do the same. Just don't ask me how many of those particles it can stop. Use of these large oil volume bypass systems does have one advantage. The larger volume spreads the contaminant load among more quarts of oil. Changing the filter and adding another fresh gallon of oil will do more than the filter will do. Oil additives do the work at keeping the oil clean. They contain detergents and dispersants which hold blowby gas contamination in solution. Bypass filtration of any kind that brags about how small the particles they can remove is just that bragging.....and about an aspect of lube oil filtration that is of little consequence. The ability to absorb and hold the organic sludge in lube oil is what prolongs the life of an engine, not the dust or particle retention claims.
I wonder if you realize what you printed in your post?

HD truck applications that use bypass filtration do not use toilet paper. They think more of their engines than that. (instead they use shredded news print and sawdust)

I read a lengthy article on the government installations using the paper towel filters to filter solvent as an EPA solution. In this article they stated that new solvent was not needed saving money and EPA concerns. This was a large installation using I think 48 paper towel rolls in seperate cannisters, changed annually.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by spots
Haulin are you putting this system on for $$$ savings on oil changes or to filter the oil better?? If it is for better filtering I would like you to do an oil analysis before (with what you have in the truck now) and a while down the road with the oil bypass system. I don't hear of too many (if any) 5.9 ISB's eating cranks because of dirty oil.
Paul the reason is for cleaner oil. On the old trucks the bypass filter would add double the length of time between changes. My oil gets black at around 6000 miles. When running strong it is more than an inconvenience to change the oil in this amount of time. It can't be done unless you want to pay a truck stop a hundred or so to do it.

I will be posting the results as I find out how this system works, either pro or con.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:58 PM

how long does it take for this system to completely filter all the oil?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:58 PM

Haulin.....im going to be locking up my toliet paper when you come to visit....
Old 02-13-2004, 08:54 AM

Originally posted by DF5152
how long does it take for this system to completely filter all the oil?
That's going to very on oil pressure... Amsoil says there system will filter all the oil in 10 minutes going 45 mph. I just checked that out to make sure, i was wrong before. I'm not even going to comment on the other post about additives and soot. I hope some of you can see for yourselves the errors within it. If hankerchiefs filtered to a micron, we'd all be stuffing them inside our filter cannisters...wait a minute we're stuffing shredded newsprint and sawdust... wait a minute isn't that was TP is?
Old 02-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Paul the reason is for cleaner oil. On the old trucks the bypass filter would add double the length of time between changes. My oil gets black at around 6000 miles. When running strong it is more than an inconvenience to change the oil in this amount of time. It can't be done unless you want to pay a truck stop a hundred or so to do it.

I will be posting the results as I find out how this system works, either pro or con.
Gotcha. Thanks. One thing you'll never not have TP at a truck stop.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:01 PM
DJ

Haulin, I think that with the way you drive you could easily go 10-12000 miles between changes without a bypass filter. If it works out you should be able to go 20,000 or more. I would recomend doing oil testing for the first couple changes to get an idea of how far you can push it and how well its working. You could also take your old rolls to the truck stop with you and exchange it for a new one while you're there. Could be no one would even notice Might even start a new fad, a real mans tp.
Old 02-13-2004, 09:42 PM

this topic sure does generate alot of "paper" so here is some more. bypass filter info
Old 02-13-2004, 11:22 PM

I seem to remember back in the late 60's that TP oil filters were a big thing. I put one on my Chevy truck and my plymouth something or other with a slant 6. That was some kind of filter. The oil was as clean as a whistle. I put a lot of miles on those vehicles without ever changing oil. It didn't seem to make a difference what TP you used. I used to need to unwind several turns of the roll in order to get it in the can. Then the greed of the TP companies came along and before long you could drop a roll in the can and not even scrape the sides. That was the end of that oil filter. I am delighted to hear that they are still arround. You could even diagnose engine problems by reading the surface of the filter. I seem to recall that chanelling was caused by water being present in the oil.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....