Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 09:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....

I have been checking with companies of verious bypass filter manufacturers, and after many emails, questions and checking I have decided to go with Motorguard which uses Scott Toilet paper for filters. My setup will use four rolls and will filter to a fraction of a micron. The setup is double oversize and will not require changing the oil, but only the makeup oil with the filter changes. Be a couple of weeks before I get it installed, will post how it turns out.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:10 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Not that I actually know anything about what you're doing, but isn't toilet paper designed to fall apart when wet? I heard of filters like this before but thought it was like a snipe hunt, cause I never actually seen one. What keeps the TP from falling apart while it's filtering your oil?
Oh, wait a minute, you're just messing with us, right?

Chris
Old 02-09-2004, 10:38 PM

The filter canisters taper to the bottom squeezing the roll of paper which is already wound tight, that is the reason for Scott 1000 sheet. They also make paper towel filters that have a lot more volume but do not filter as fine.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After flushing my toilet.

and watching what some cold sloshing water does to toilet paper.I'd hate to see what 70psi of 200deg oil does to a roll off toilet paper.You've got a lot invested,put a filter on that was designed for oil,please.Merv
Old 02-09-2004, 10:46 PM

Re: After flushing my toilet.

Originally posted by Huff nPuff
and watching what some cold sloshing water does to toilet paper.I'd hate to see what 70psi of 200deg oil does to a roll off toilet paper.You've got a lot invested,put a filter on that was designed for oil,please.Merv
Good advice...Id be pretty reluctant to use on of these on a new, big buck engine.....I could maybe see it on a gasser....but on a medium duty diesel that sees hard use.....I just dunno....doesnt seem like the best idea.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:24 PM

guys what do you think your spin on filters are made of? I thought my dad was kidding when he told me his old pickup had a cannister you stuck a toilet paper roll into and that was the oil filter. He went and showed me (this was when I was about 8) and I'll never forget it.

The denser the wind of the paper the better, as long as your element does not seperate and alow unfiltered oil to pass through unfiltered...but that why the cannisters fit so tight.

Paper element oil filters have been around since the dawn of engines... cut one of your fleetguards up same thing with different packaging. I say go for it, just watch your oil pressure... 4 rolls is WAY OVERKILL on a diesel of this size.

1 maybe 2 would be plenty.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Banned

i ran a stilko toilet paper filter for 20 years and the toilet paper does not fall apart in oil at pressures near 90 p.s.i. near as i remember it filtered to 1/100 of a micron. i think they bypass a lot of oil, and you might want to inquire about this. i ran that motor like a winston cup special and never lost a bearing. i got tired of messing with the oil soaked toilet paper and took it off, it's still out in the shed.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM

Originally posted by bigern24

Paper element oil filters have been around since the dawn of engines... cut one of your fleetguards up same thing with different packaging. I say go for it, just watch your oil pressure... 4 rolls is WAY OVERKILL on a diesel of this size.

1 maybe 2 would be plenty.
Industrial applications for the 5.9 use two. They are lower hp and stationary engines. Going by the oil the engine should have for the use I am giving it, not by the small Dodge pan, the engine should either use the larger paper towel filter or three of the Motor Guard filters. As a bypass filter, any channeling or unfiltered oil just falls back to the stock system which is still in place.

I had the option of using one large filter or three small ones that filter much better. With the small filters, any chance of channeling or plugging up is not a worry because if one plugs or channels, there are three more to handle the filtering. It will also lengthen the time before filter changes.

You are right, four is overkill, great I love it. Every 10,000 miles or more, a filter change will cost less than $10 complete with the gallon of oil to bring the oil level back up and replenish the additives. This was another reason for the four, one gallon of oil at change. I wanted enough makeup oil at the change.

Incidentally I expected the negative replies, but also wanted the comments that are educated. Actually I thought that there would be more pro and con. I think this will work out well, if not there are manufactured filters that fit the same housings.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:54 PM

(ignorant adj. 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned. 2. lacking special knowledge or information: ignorant of physics. 3. uninformed; unaware. 4. showing lack of knowledge or training. ignorantly, adv. ignorantness, n. - Syn. IGNORANT, ILLITERATE, UNEDUCATED mean lacking in knowledge or training. IGNORANT may mean knowing little or nothing, or it may mean uninformed about a particular subject.)

The word from Websters above explains why we see so many remarks from some one that is in that situation and causes some of the readers to respond with the smilies like these:
rolleyes: .

I know nothing about rockets, so therefore I'm ignorant where they are concerned and would get laughs and rolleyes if I would discuss rockets with the scientist that build them. Same as a person that knows nothing about tp filters; they just don't know. I saw my first tp filter in 1964 and was skeptical about it's ability to filter oil and not disintegrate. It does filter oil and does not disintegrate. I used the Frantz Filters for many years. They did exactly what they were designed for and that was to filter the oil.

I now use a Harvard bypass filter that does exactly the same thing but is much larger. I had one on my 1993 DD with about 170,000 miles on the oil when I had the valves adjusted the last time and the valves were as clean as the day the engine was put together. I have a Harvard by-pass filter on my 2002 and would not want to be without it.

I've seen the Frantz Filters mounted on the front of trucks that was filtering motor oil, transmission oil and the radiator water. In some cases this was for demostration purposes, but in some cases it was for easy access.

For a test you can do at home with a sheet of TT. Hold a sheet between both your hands and pull slightly and let someone pour a small line of oil from on side to the other and then slowly start pulling a little harder until the sheet pulls apart. Look and see where the sheet tears. It won't be where the oil is. It will be on one side or the other of the oil. Then take a few sheets and put in a small container and pour oil over them until they are satuated and then start handling them. It will feel as if the paper becomes stronger instead of weaker.

Huff nPuff wrote:

Reply:
Take the roll of TP out of the canister, let it cool down to where you won't get burned and since it's compressed, take it slowly and you can actually unroll the paper.

Dr. Evil wrote:
Good advice...Id be pretty reluctant to use on of these on a new, big buck engine.....I could maybe see it on a gasser....but on a medium duty diesel that sees hard use.....I just dunno....doesnt seem like the best idea.

Reply:
If you would check into it, you will find that many of the 18 wheelers (and other large trucks) are using the same filtering process as we've been discussing here. Also a multitude of off rode equipment such as bulldozer, large dump trucks, graders and such are using this type of set up.

I could go on and on but I believe you get the drift.

Have fun.

Old 02-10-2004, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by remarc31
(ignorant adj. 1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned. 2. lacking special knowledge or information: ignorant of physics. 3. uninformed; unaware. 4. showing lack of knowledge or training. ignorantly, adv. ignorantness, n. - Syn. IGNORANT, ILLITERATE, UNEDUCATED mean lacking in knowledge or training. IGNORANT may mean knowing little or nothing, or it may mean uninformed about a particular subject.)

The word from Websters above explains why we see so many remarks from some one that is in that situation and causes some of the readers to respond with the smilies like these:
rolleyes: .

Dr. Evil wrote:

Need I remind you that these engines are NOT the same engines that are used in 18 wheelers....

Reply:
If you would check into it, you will find that many of the 18 wheelers (and other large trucks) are using the same filtering process as we've been discussing here. Also a multitude of off rode equipment such as bulldozer, large dump trucks, graders and such are using this type of set up.

I could go on and on but I believe you get the drift.

Have fun.

Yeah I get the drift alright......

At least I'm not so ignorant that I realize that there is a BIG difference between a 5.9 Cummins and the engine in an 18 wheeler

As for the rest of your post....well, Im not going to bother to comment....Glad you came along because I just didnt know how stupid I really am....

Haulin....please let us know how you like your new filter setup and how well it works...thanks...
Old 02-10-2004, 08:10 PM

from Dr. Evil:
Glad you came along because I just didnt know how stupid I really am....

stupid adj., er, est, n. -adj. 1. lacking ordinary quickness and keenness of mind; dull. 2. characterized by or proceeding from mental dullness; foolish; senseless: a stupid question. 3. tediously dull, esp. due to lack of meaning or sense; inane; pointless.

Dr. Evil, reading your post over the last few months, I don't believe you fall in the category of being stupid. I enjoy your posts and centainly did not intend to offend anyone. It was just my 2 cents worth. Sorry.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:21 PM
Banned

I'm curious as to how this will work. From what I'm gathering, you basically take a roll of charmin (this is just a hypothetical guess), put it in a jar, and run the oil through it. After, say 10K miles, you unscrew the jar, put in a fresh roll of charmin, and away you go. Is that the gist of it?
Old 02-10-2004, 08:27 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You got it. Basically your stock filter catches the big trash, and a small amount of oil is diverted into the tp filter. By the time the oil seeps through the tp and drains back to the oil pan, pretty much anything that's not oil is gone.

Quick Reply: Bypass filter decision, toilet paper....