Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Breaking in my FRESHLY rebuilt motor!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Breaking in my FRESHLY rebuilt motor!!!

OK, for those of you who have been following all of my posts about breakdowns and upgrades and then more breakdowns.... etc..... I am finally gonna be starting her up for the first time since my spun rod bearing over a month ago and complete over haul , tommorow ;D ;D.
My question is: How should I drive it when I first get in her? Heres the plan (as of right now) : Drive the first 50 miles as normall driving (NO WOT :'(). Drain the oil. replace oil and filter. Then drive the next 500 miles like I used to ;D... Ok so maybe Ill still be a little tentative : for a while. Drain the oil again and for the next couple of oil changes run DELO. After 2 or 3 oil changes (of Delo) go back to running my usual sythetic. How does all that sound for those of you who have broken in a Cummins before? I know with tractors we try to run em pretty hard ( after the first oil change) and try to pull em pretty good so everything seats right. Should it be the same with my girl?
One more question: I was planning on dynoing my truck this weekend (Saturday) at the DFW dyno challenge and I was wondering if it would be a good idea or not ??? Maybe that would give everything a chance to seat???
Scott
Old 10-24-2003, 12:11 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Breaking in my FRESHLY rebuilt motor!!!

I WOULD NOT DYNO IT YET!!!!!!!

Drive it "wisely" for 100 miles, change oil and filter. Dive "wisely" for another 500 miles change oil and filter again, yes continue to drive "wisely" for another 2000 miles and change again. On this oil change I would get a test done on the oil for peace of mind and if everything checks out ok.

[move] ;D"DRIVE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT!" ;D[/move]

I would not dyno a fresh rebuild. My .02
Old 10-24-2003, 09:39 AM

I dunno about diesels as much as sleds and stuff but with our Full mod pro open motocross bikes when we rebuild em every 3 races or so there is no break in just take it out and ride is as hard as possible like always. Your cylinders are already broken in right? Is it a brand new crank or just a rod bearing? I would definately want to put a flawless tank of fuel through it and drain the oil and make sure everything is good then drive it like normal.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:42 AM

I dont know if it makes any difference but I should be on my third oil change by the time the dyno event arrives.
60 miles from class and back. oil change
about 350 miles to the dyno event+ a few cruisin miles. Maybe oil change if I decide to dyno.
Im not sure if that really makes any difference on the effects of dynoing???
Also, I know gassers are different, but the race motor builder here local dynos all his fresh engines RIGHT after he builds them and he has been for a long time with no problems.
Any body else have any opinions on dynoing or not?
Thanks
Scott
Old 10-24-2003, 09:45 AM
JKE

what Jamie said. BUT the race motors get done often and yes many builders use the dyno for break in....I am refering to gassers.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:48 AM

Your cylinders are already broken in right? Is it a brand new crank or just a rod bearing?
Thanks for the reply Jamie (I had just sent my last message when yours popped up). When I raced motocross we also rebuilt about every 6-7 race days and immediately rode em hard so they seat right.
My cylinders are broken in already, besides the honing. I have all new bottom end bearings (rods and mains) and my crank is not brand new, it was taken out of a Dodge test motor (I aquired it from Mark Kendrick). I also have new pistons and rings (Total seal 2nd compression rings).
Thanks for the fuel suggestion also.
Scott
Old 10-24-2003, 11:01 AM
Banned

You are going to get everyones opinion here....But the guys who manufacture exp$$$$ eng. diesel and porsches use a dyno.Now don't stop reading.......you can sort of do the same.What they do is start up ,,a few normal checks (If you had it pugged in so it was warm all the better) get warmed up
1 Go to 20% on the Dyno- (READ LIGHT ROADTEST)
2shut dwn look things over
3 Go 30% and so on up thrue the scale an other words your just seating the rings ,,,,thats the only thing that really is going to be changing in your eng.
THe big deal is no long term idling very very hard on bump sticks.
On a dyno it's all over with in a few hours cause you can watch the blow by scale (crank case preasure).
So the whole thery is to keep uping the load (to seat the rings).
Take a week to do it seince most of us do not have the luxery of a dyno in our backyard.
And Congratulations Welcome To The Rebuild Club
T.M.O.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:23 AM

1 Go to 20% on the Dyno- (READ LIGHT ROADTEST)
2shut dwn look things over
3 Go 30% and so on up thrue the scale an other words your just seating the rings ,,,,thats the only thing that really is going to be changing in your eng.
I see the #1 and 2 and that sounds good. How about if I get 3 dyno runs? Can I go pretty hard on it on the third run since I will already have about 500 miles on the motor before it even touches the dyno?
On a dyno it's all over with in a few hours cause you can watch the blow by scale (crank case preasure).
I really dont expect to have much blowby with my new Total seal 2nd compression rings . However the blowby is one thing that I will be watching very closely.
Thanks again guys and keep em' cummin....s : :P.
Scott
Old 10-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Banned

.....Are you saying you want to go for max Hp.with a fresh eng. NO NO NO NO NO NO ON NO NO
Unless of course you have lots of $$$ and time to fix a sieized cyl.
t.m.o.and i'll say no more
exit stage left evven
Old 10-24-2003, 04:28 PM

I'm going to be in the same boat here one day I hope. Breaking a motor in I am the believer in the break it in the way you are going to use it.

I plan on Running mine at 1500 - 2000 RPMs for a 1/2 hour to break the cam and lifter in, then put another 150 miles on Change the oil , then another 1000 miles of low boost mellow driving, change the oil again, and then drive it the way I always have(OK maybe not it will probibly scare me right at first because I've been w/o HP for so long :'( ) The only thing I'll change is for the first couple of thousand miles I won't run it at a constent speed(no cruise control). I will probibly wait 5000 miles before I Dyno....

I also plan on running my Bypass filter even with the Dyno oil for the first 10K miles before going back to my AmsOil.

IMO breaking the turbo's in properly is the most important...

Man all this talk is making me antisy at getting mine back together. ;D
Old 10-25-2003, 01:15 AM

Well dont worry about me dynoing everybody. I cant get my fuel system to prime :'( :'(. After I got everything back together it started up and ran pretty good (for about 3 minutes, which happens to be how long a CTD will run on the fuel in the filter canister). So needless to say Im kinda almost sorta in a way back to square one.
While trying to prime all I get is foam instead of fuel, out of the bleeder bolt and the injectors, so the first thing that came to mind was the fuel lines that I replaced while I had the motor out. So I ran a vacume test. Fuel flowed like no tommorow when I by passed the lift pump. So then I was led to believe that my lift pump had for some reason failed. Well I pulled that little [explicative deleted] out which by the way is a [explicative deleted], and all I could come up with is maybe the trash in the fuel heater and the lift pump was causing it to act up ??? So I cleaned both the heater and the lift pump out and ran a set of tests on both which proved that apperently both were in working order. Well then I spent and hour and a half tryin to get that [exp. deleted] back in and finally got it back in at the point of complete mental breakdown . I figured I better quit while I was ahead so tommorow Ill hook all the fuel lines back on and see if, for some crazy reason, it will run. If not...... :'(.
Scott
Old 10-25-2003, 07:59 AM
MDW

I built my motor and hooked it to my 5th wheel the same day, went to San Antonio Raceway from Houston and raced it the very next day.
I just had the head off for other reasons and it looks good to me.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:37 PM
Banned

you rebuilt your eng in one day????
Old 10-27-2003, 02:19 PM
JKE

so, how is it coming??
Old 10-27-2003, 02:35 PM

How would you treat a new truck????

Rick

Quick Reply: Breaking in my FRESHLY rebuilt motor!!!