Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Best tuners for MPG and stack with Smarty (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/best-tuners-mpg-stack-smarty-323660/)

leathermaneod 11-30-2015 02:16 PM

Best tuners for MPG and stack with Smarty

Hi all,

My wife asked what I would like for Christmas and a new tuner to play with came to mind haha I'd be very grateful for any and all input on the subject. It is for the tuck in my sig and I would like to be able to stack with my Smarty S03, or use it alone. I have the mods to support it aside from a clutch but I'm lot too worried about that as a new one is planned for the near future and big power is not my main focus. Main purpose is economy and being able to adjust on the fly. I would also like to be able to adjust for tire size incase I get rid of the smarty. I read an article by Mopar1973man where he had got almost 24 mpg on the highway. That's where i would like to be, or higher. Will stacking tuners help with this? Or is there a tuner that's better than the smarty by itself for mpg? I also would like the on the fly adjustability that the Edge products have. I don't particularly want to tap the pump wire, although it would be easy enough as I already have a pigtail from the PO. I don't really want to be extra hard on the truck. I just want the best possible mpg. Does the better atomization that Edge claims to have really help? Can it actually change the injection pressure that much on a vp truck? Or is that more for CR engines?

Thanks in advance guys!

jrs_dodge_diesel 11-30-2015 10:10 PM

*Moved to 2nd Gen Performance and Accessories*

I'm pretty sure the VP44 injection pressure is fixed by the pintle spring and nozzles in the injectors. Most tuners and boxes modify the timing and injector duration by controlling the injector fuel solenoid (tapped wire setups), modifying sensor inputs, or new fuel maps/firmware, or a combination of these.

Only way to change spray patterns and atomization is to buy different injectors or change the nozzles in your existing set. Pop pressure is set by the injector spring.

The common rail engines have variable pressure injection, but not our engines.

I don't have much experience with tuners or boxes so I can't offer much insight there.

high bid 12-01-2015 05:23 AM

IMO...the smarty is a great tuner. Improving mpg with engine mods is a combination of things....i.e., programmers, bhaf intake, quality injectors and 4" or 5" exhaust. Not sure what type of injectors but not all are created equally.
Good air flow through the entire system!
And then there's the non-engine components: tire size, gear ratio, driving style, loaded/unloaded, etc
I changed engine mods to work towards the same goal and get 20-22mpg rolling 75mph on the hwy with the current signature. Hope this helps!

Danderson 12-01-2015 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by high bid (Post 3290897)
IMO...the smarty is a great tuner. Improving mpg with engine mods is a combination of things....i.e., programmers, bhaf intake, quality injectors and 4" or 5" exhaust. Not sure what type of injectors but not all are created equally.
Good air flow through the entire system!
And then there's the non-engine components: tire size, gear ratio, driving style, loaded/unloaded, etc
I changed engine mods to work towards the same goal and get 20-22mpg rolling 75mph on the hwy with the current signature. Hope this helps!

That's good mileage. I had the Mach 1.6's,Edge EZ ,same axle ratio and 285's and could only squeak out 19.8 @ 70 mph on a trip to Phoenix. I had a very efficient DTT trans too. That was a quick truck though.