Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

98 4x4 looking for performance steering components

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 11:04 AM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
98 4x4 looking for performance steering components

Ok im getting kinda irked i cant find what im looking for an i know it exists

Bushing equipt adjustable stock length control arms I believe it was the bottoms were adjustable and the tops were fixed.

Anyways what i have is a 98 12 QC SB 4x4

Before i bought it, it got
new ball joints
New wheel bearings
All new tie rod/ drag link and ends The HD setup with the solid tie rod and seperate drag link
New stock replacement track bar
stock replacement Steering stabilizer

Now the issue is the suspension is soft... truck rolls in and out of corners and the steering is spongy even when going straight, very responsive quick ratio, but has a soft wonder (which i suspect is in the steering box) But you let go of the steering wheel it goes straight down the road so its not a pull issue. It is acting like the Trackbar is the issue almost but ive looked it over and though it might not be 100% it does not appear to be the root of the problem. Also for the roll in the suspension im wondering if the shocks when T up in 5000 miles or they are too light. ive never had a dodge roll like this one does and it has a second leaf on the rear overloads from when it used to haul a camper so its not all adding up.

Im laying out my strategy to get this thing dialed in for another 140k miles and a few steering components are in order as i am in teh process fo chaisng this down.

PCS steering box
Borgeson steering shaft (the stocker wobbles bad also)
New bushings in the control arms or purchase a set of adjustable control arms with bushings
DSS
F&R Sway bar bushings ect
Bilistien 5100 series shocks all 4 corners

I wanted to keep it on a budget but i am thinking if i just attack this head on and get it dealt with i'll be happier
Old 08-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Have you checked the swaybar end links? They could be smoked and they certainly can contribute to noticable body roll......I was surprised how much better the truck handled with fresh end links. The DSS is worth-while mod - will tighten up the steering considerably - put one on before you spring for another box. You certainly can't go wrong with the 5100's, either - all 3 of these mods/fixes will have a major impact on handling......also, check that steering stablizer! Also, what kind of tires are on the front? Has the alignment been checked? I added 2* of caster to my 3500 and was surprised at how much straighter the truck tracks......also has a much more positive return-to-center feel.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM

Fortunately when i bought the truck the PO had put new cooper 285/75 R16's on. I think they are SXT's or some type of All/mud terrain. I would preffer some BFG 285/75 R16 E rated tires but for now thes will work.

Im sure the 5100's will help considerably

Alignment and balljoints were my first thought and took it in the alignment shop said im sitting right at 6* caster and everything else is square

thanks for the tips
What about PCS do they offer any improvements internally with the bearings or gears over a standard rebuilt PS box?
Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ddestruel

Alignment and balljoints were my first thought and took it in the alignment shop said im sitting right at 6* caster and everything else is square

thanks for the tips
What about PCS do they offer any improvements internally with the bearings or gears over a standard rebuilt PS box?
I think someone is blowing smoke up your skirt.....6* is a LOT of caster. To the best of my knowledge, you can't get more than about 4* with the stock control arms. I run mine at 3.2-3.5* and I've haven't had a hint of DW since. Then again, the only factory part left in my front end is the axle.

Tom at PSC does a few tricks to the steering boxes to get them to last. IIRC, he's beefed up the bearings and improved the flow among other things. I did my box at the same time I did my steering and track bar, and I'm really happy with it. I would recommend getting the pump too, I didn't and now I'm playing catch up.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:58 PM

Originally posted by Cowhand
I think someone is blowing smoke up your skirt.....6* is a LOT of caster. To the best of my knowledge, you can't get more than about 4* with the stock control arms. I run mine at 3.2-3.5* and I've haven't had a hint of DW since. Then again, the only factory part left in my front end is the axle.

Tom at PSC does a few tricks to the steering boxes to get them to last. IIRC, he's beefed up the bearings and improved the flow among other things. I did my box at the same time I did my steering and track bar, and I'm really happy with it. I would recommend getting the pump too, I didn't and now I'm playing catch up.
You could be correct i'll have to look back on my print out. i'll verify what the truck is sitting at for sure.

I'll be right there with you, ive got to replace the driverside inner axle shaft no comment she's winging around in there. I'll be doing it when i redo the carrier/pinion bearings and seals in the front very soon. just did calipers and rotors on friday afternoon that ended my onesided pull issue.

Getting the pump too? shouldnt his box work with the stock pump? Ive hear that upgrading to the higher pressure pump without a cooler and increased demand..... like ram steering or whatnot has resulted in over boosting the system and increased temps in the ps pump. I'll call him and pick his brain

thanks
Dusty

Ok i'll add to it, climbed under the truck had a friend rotate wheel, the steering shaft is definately junk wobbling all over and the steering box also has a large amount of play, and slight seep around the seal, i think i see the problem NOW. And im not going to try and repair a leaking steering box with 144k miles LOL.

PSC-
Steering box $300
Steering gear brace $166
Borgeson shaft $222

Ordered all three gonna get this thing dialed and then im going to start driving and enjoying this truck not trying to keep it out of the burrow pit.

Pricing the shocks tonight through a friend who is a dealer too.

Expensive Day i tell you but the end result will be worth it, tired of bandaiding things. Still going to do the sway bar bushings and parts just not right now $$$ just got tight.

CTD Nut & Cow hand thanks for the tips i wouldnt have ordered the box as you are right about doing one before the other but at 144k miles and with that much play and the leaky seal its too much to mess with now. Good to know about the control arms pointless to mess with them because odds are they arent eh problem thanks for STEERING me away from focusing on the wrong items
Old 08-15-2005, 09:47 PM

You betcha Dusty

Talk to Tom, see what he recommends. I'm gonna do the pump here soon because I think the stock pump might be a little overwhelmed by the PSC box. No plans for hydro assist though. I'm sure Tom has a pump for either application.

When you're ready to upgrade your control arms, DT Products has some REALLY beefy stock replacements for around $325.

I was gonna put them on my truck but David talked me into test bedding his radius arms.....I'll post more on those soon. The revised design made my jaw drop when I saw 'em (and I'm not easily impressed), just gotta get 'em bead blasted and powder coated.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Banned

I love my DT track bar. The heim is shot already but don thuren makes a replacement bushing that solves the heim problems. He also makes a great track bar but you have to have it welded on with my lift and I have VERY limited access to a welder. The DT track bar is straight bolt on. That's probably the best thing I've done to my steering yet. A complete crossover steering system would also help because it replaces the stock tie rod ends with heim's and is a much simpler design. Ask Cowhand for more info on that. A dss steering brace will also help a lot.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know if all 2nd gens have the same amount of adjustability on the control arms but I have seen for myself that 6* of caster is possible......I have 5*.

Dusty,

If you decide to spring for the PCS box, add a DSS at the same time.......it will eliminate any premature wear/play at the pitman shaft.....better to add the DSS to a fresh box than one that is worn out.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:20 AM

PSC had a variation (probably is the DSS) of the sterring shaft stabilizer so i ordered it with the box

I sprang for all three that i listed. Ihave the same philosophy, why bandaid things, get-her done

I have 5.8* castor according to the printout from my alignment
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 PM

I am in the same boat, getting tired of driving around this truck feeling like it just doesnt want to stay on the road, so I get ahold of Don and he is setting me up with the Trac Bar, X-Over steering, Shock Towers, and some Fox Shocks all around, I just need to pick up a DSS and then start looking at the Steering box and such, I am just tired of the Wimpy OEM junk that Dodge put up there, they went beefy in alot of places on these trucks, but the front end is definately lacking huge! Anyways, good luck, and be sure to post your results and if enough of us do mabye we might just see a whole lot less Dodge truck driving around with junk front ends.

-Jared
Old 08-16-2005, 12:55 PM

5.8* That's a lot of caster. As long as the tires wear oaky and it steers fine, go with it.

Let us know how your goodies turn out....