Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Fuel Pressure guage buzz

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure guage buzz

Hey All -

I have an isspro FP guage that has always worked fine. Changed fuel lines this weekend to Rod's ss kit, and removed the grease gun hose that the FP guage line was connected to. Now its just the copper hardline from the vp-44 to the guage.

It now has this annoying buzz that sounds just like an exhaust leak. It increases as the rpm's increase, so I figure its the fuel line pulsating. The guage reads normal, no jumping or bouncing. Any idea how to stop this buzz?

BTW, the lines work great. WOT never gets below 10 psi now.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:46 PM

Re:Fuel Pressure guage buzz

I also have the Isspro fuel gauge with the ss braided line (from Rod at Wildcat). The first install was just the ss line between the vp44 and the isspro gauge. After the installation a new noise started (a buzz). The first thing I did was put rubber / vinyl around the ss line inside the cab to keep it from touching anything. This did not stop the noise. Finally I put a short rubber hose between the vp44 and the ss line and the noise went away. I believe that the ss line was transmitting an actual vibration from the engine to the inside of the cab behind the dash and not a fuel pulsation in the line that caused the noise.

Good luck
Old 09-17-2003, 03:50 PM

DD

I will give that a try..Thanks for responding...
Old 09-17-2003, 03:55 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I also use the SS braided line from Rod @ Wildcat Diesel Performance

I added a needle valve which I believe Rod adds with all his mechanical FP kits now.

See my install here on my '99 fuel filter housing measuring post filter pressures.

Close the valve all the way off, then have somone watch the gauge. Start the truck, and just crack the valve open far enough to get good readings. Then shut the truck off to ensure the pressure bleeds off quickly. It might take a couple of trys to get it just right.
No buzz in 2 years, and solid 15 psi @ idle. ;D
Old 09-18-2003, 09:30 AM

Not trying to hi-jack this thread, this question is somewhat related.

I assume all the posters in this thread are running FP gauges w/o an isolator, running the fuel line straight into the cab? I saw IssPro mentioned a couple times, but can this be done reliably with any gauge... specifically DiPricol?

I am beyond frustrated waiting for DP to figure out their isolator problem and it seems the direct plumbing is the more reliable configuration anyway. IssPro would be my second choice of gauge, but since I've already got two DPs on the pillar, I would like the third to match if possible.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2003, 12:16 PM

Location: Drive till ya hit a Polar Bear, then go back 50 miles

The DiProcol's can indeed be connected direct, but you will want to install a needle valve as per Ed's instructions above.

Rod
Old 09-19-2003, 10:57 PM

;D Just wanted to thank Rod for his help with getting my gauges setup. I called and he set me up with all the lines and a needle valve so I can get my gauges installed. Thanks to all for the usefull info.