Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Banks Twin Ram Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks Twin Ram Air Intake

Is anyone using the Twin Ram Air Intake by Banks on there 12 valves. If so how much of a difference is there between the stock one. Have a bad intake gasket but was thinkin about gettin the twin ram air intake and taken off the stock one.
Old 05-27-2003, 04:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Banks Twin Ram Air Intake

Junk
Old 05-27-2003, 04:35 PM

[quote author=Don M link=board=7;threadid=15191;start=0#142658 date=1054071097]<br>Junk<br>[/quote]<br><br> <br><br>great response...
Old 05-27-2003, 07:18 PM

I agree with Don, Junk is putting it nicely. <br><br>Think about it a minute, what limits the intake air? Intercooler, turbo charger, and air filter. If it was any good, Nathan would be and so would a lot of HP guys with twins. Save your money for some EDM injectors.<br><br>Steve
Old 05-27-2003, 07:22 PM
DTR Advertiser

Old 05-27-2003, 07:24 PM

For some reason many people on this form DO NOT like Banks. Take extreem caution with these quick, qute responses. I do not know what good a Banks intake is. I am forking up a small fraction of the cost of one to get a 49 states intake. I will post any change that I find once I lose my California one.<br>Tim
Old 05-27-2003, 10:06 PM

Farmout..no offense man, I don't have any problem with Banks or any other vendors, what I do have, is a problem with vendors like Banks who make claims of &quot;stuff&quot; that doesn't work. Banks, in particular, have made claims that their stuff doesn't void the manufactures warranties and everyone knows that ain't true. Banks does make some quality products, like their exhaust brake and exhaust systems. As far as their high ram, twin ram, turbos etc. is just marketing &quot;cool&quot; looking non-performance hype. <br><br>Steve
Old 05-27-2003, 10:08 PM
Administrator

[quote author=HeberRam link=board=7;threadid=15191;start=0#142826 date=1054091196]<br>Farmout..no offense man, I don't have any problem with Banks or any other vendors, what I do have, is a problem with vendors like Banks who make claims of &quot;stuff&quot; that doesn't work. Banks, in particular, have made claims that their stuff doesn't void the manufactures warranties and everyone knows that ain't true. Banks does make some quality products, like their exhaust brake and exhaust systems. As far as their high ram, twin ram, turbos etc. is just marketing &quot;cool&quot; looking non-performance hype. <br><br>Steve <br>[/quote]<br><br>And a bit pricey compared to other products that achieve the same results.<br><br><br>phox
Old 05-27-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts

You mean Twin Scam Banks claims a good hp/torque gain with it alone but on the dyno it did a big fat 0.0 hp/ftlb. Thats why people give them a hard time. Money is better spent elsewhere.
Old 05-27-2003, 11:43 PM

Heard the latest from a guy in town last night........

banks now has an engine brake for our trucks as well as a exhaust brake :

This was coming from a guy who has a 01 or 02 2500 who said &quot;I'm just gonna put a chip in mine sooner or later and be done with it&quot;....I'm tired of preaching
Old 05-28-2003, 06:55 AM

Thanks for the info people. Think I'll do away with it. Anyone have a HX35 workin that they are wanting to get rid of.<br><br>
Old 05-29-2003, 12:09 PM

The Banks twin doesn't do a thing but it does look good. If someone would give me one I would put it on Eat'M'Up just to dress up the underhood looks. Thats is the big problem at the appearance under our hoods there isn't much to look at, just a little old 6 cylinder ;D
Old 05-29-2003, 01:26 PM

Lil Red,<br>When I read threads like this, I get agitated. There is so much misinformation being thrown around that Banks begins to get a reputation that in my opinion is undeserved. First, allow me to respond to the basic question that you asked, specifically, what is the value of the Twin-Ram manifold? In order to answer this question, you must remember the basic principles of diesel engine operation. To make more power, you need to deliver more fuel, but simply adding fuel increases exhaust gas temperatures and creates the potential for engine damage. Therefore, in order to safely make power, airflow through the engine must be enhanced. Simply increasing airflow alone does have some benefits (specifically lowering EGT), but in most cases, does not in and of itself increase power. If you have any familiarity with our products, you know that we offer multiple levels of power enhancement. Each level includes some amount of airflow improvement along with a fuel calibration to match the improved airflow. So the answer to your question depends on the result that you are trying to achieve. If you are looking for more power, the Twin-Ram alone will not deliver the goods, you must have some fuel delivery enhancement along with the Twin-Ram to see the benefit. If you are looking to lower your EGT’s or increase engine life, the Twin-Ram will definitely help, and it certainly dresses up the engine. One nice side benefit of the Twin-Ram is the improved airflow distribution to the six cylinders. Since you are needing to make some changes anyway, this might be a good time to upgrade (the necessary gaskets are included with the Twin-Ram).<br><br>HeberRam,<br>You are correct in noting that there are other points of restriction, but any improvement is beneficial. Airflow restriction is a cumulative effect, not an issue of an isolated choke point. It is true however, that other restriction points can be improved upon. The only way currently available to improve the airflow distribution to the inline six cylinder configuration is with a Twin-Ram. The injectors that you are suggesting are a way to put more fuel in the engine, certainly a way to make more power along with more EGT. You also comment on our stance regarding warranty. First of all, I would be surprised if the 12-valve truck in question was still under factory warranty, but let me address your concern anyway. If you read your Owners Manual, you will find that there is no provision for Dodge to void a warranty simply based on the presence of an aftermarket product. They do have the right to deny warranty coverage if an aftermarket product CAUSES a failure (that makes logical sense) which is why it is important to do upgrades that do not cause damage. Our products are engineered to work on your Cummins engine without causing damage, and in fact, the improvements in airflow tend to extend the life of your engine. I challenge anyone to offer a reason that a Twin-Ram would cause any warranty concern.<br><br>Nascar Mark,<br>It is no surprise to me that the addition of a Twin-Ram showed no additional horsepower on a dyno for the reasons already stated above. We do not advertise horsepower gains for the Twin-Ram used alone, only when used in conjunction with a proper fuel calibration.<br><br>Got Smoke,<br>I don’t know where the rumor came from that Banks has an engine brake for the Cummins engine… no such animal. We do have exhaust brakes for all 94-02 Dodge Cummins, and will soon release one for the ’03 Cummins.<br><br>I am not trying to convince anyone that they need a Twin-Ram or any of our components, I just get tired of the misinformation and want to set the record straight.<br><br>Peter Treydte<br>Director of Technical Communications<br>Banks Power<br>
Old 05-29-2003, 01:44 PM
DPG

Peter, I personally do not use Banks products, however, I want you to know that I am impressed with the quality and tone of your response. It was intellegent and well thought out. And not a flame to be found anywhere. My opinion of the company has gone up!<br><br>DeWain
Old 05-29-2003, 02:20 PM

Peter,

I hate it when Banks representatives say things like what you stated:

If you read your Owners Manual, you will find that there is no provision for Dodge to void a warranty simply based on the presence of an aftermarket product. They do have the right to deny warranty coverage if an aftermarket product CAUSES a failure (that makes logical sense) which is why it is important to do upgrades that do not cause damage. Our products are engineered to work on your Cummins engine without causing damage, and in fact, the improvements in airflow tend to extend the life of your engine.
I have personally spoken with several customers of Banks that tried to take up this issue with DC and had their warranty voided! They also showed me the help (or lack of) that Banks faxed or emailed them. I feel that Banks misleads people into a false sense of security about their products verses warranty.

On another note Banks claims 145 Hp and 288 TQ gains with the powerpack TLC system. Well last summer I watched a Banks customer dyno and he mad 288 HP and something like 550 TQ, this was on a 2001 Dodge Ram. For about the same money spent my truck, also a 2001 Dodge CTD it made 764 HP and 1570 TQ on the same dyno, same day. I know of NO Banks customers whose truck made the power gains Banks shows for these products.

I do feel like several products that Banks produces are of very high quality, (ie.) exhaust sytems, and exhaust brakes. But when it comes to warranty and power Banks is very misleading.

Doug

Quick Reply: Banks Twin Ram Air Intake