Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Banks Bashing (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/banks-bashing-25974/)

rattle_rattle 04-16-2003 12:43 PM

Banks Bashing

First of all, let me say that I do not have any affiliation with Banks or Direct Injection Products.<br><br>There seems to be a lot of negative talk with regard to Banks. I feel that their &quot;power package&quot; deals are way over priced. However, I do have a Banks Monster Exhaust installed on my CTD. It's the only Banks item on my truck. There were several things I wanted in an exhaust when I started looking. I wanted stainless. I wanted 4&quot;. I wanted a 5&quot; polished tip. I wanted it to fit the truck like it was made by Mopar for the truck. There were several makers that fit the bill. Oddly, the Banks system was the least expensive. I got it through Direct Injection Products. It bolted up prefectly. No leaks or rattles. The DynaFlow muffler is straight through and the sound is a low growl. For what I wanted, it was the obvious choice. What I'm gettin' at is just because a company make some stuff that isn't the best bang for the buck, it doesn't mean that all their stuff it crap. I think some members hear the word &quot;Banks&quot; and automatically say &quot;stay away&quot;. Just my $.02.<br>

Lary Ellis (Top) 04-16-2003 01:07 PM

Re:Banks Bashing

You may have a valid point here and I agree it isn't fair.

I can tell you that we here at DTR do not promote any vendor bashing, and we prefer that people keep things on an informative but peaceful level.

People are going to make comments on their views about specific product brand names, that is unavoidable here in an open forum setting. Some will be good and some will be bad, this is often a good motivator for vendors to step up their customer service level if they need to.

But on the whole, bashing of any vendor or product line is undesirable and often unwarranted, you can have two guys buy the identical product from a vendor on the same day, one will be happy and one not.

That is the way life goes, we have all dealt with these issues at times. Price is important to many people, for some it is the number one point that makes a sale, others are looking for a specific style or function that suits them best.

Whatever the difference is, none of that has any bearing on the quality of a company or product. We want to have members share their experiences here, but if it has to show a great deal of negativity for a vendor, then that part of it is best left to private message.

This isn't censorship, but merely professional courtesy and also a way to keep everybody from ending up with a lawsuit they don't want.

GrandpasRam 04-16-2003 01:47 PM

Well put, Top. ;)

TxDieselKid 04-16-2003 03:32 PM

You know, I think everyone bashes them because of their prices, never mind the fact that they were amoung one of the first companies to make this stuff popular. Let's face it, without Banks, lots of people would never have found this culture. They've been doing it for a LONG time ago.

Shovelhead 04-16-2003 04:32 PM

Most of the negative comments I've read about Banks refered to two main gripes:
A: Their Prices
B: Their &quot;It Won't Void Your Warranty&quot; claims.

I really can't recall ever reading that their stuff didn't work. ;)

Ed

edit to add:
The LSR Dakota/Cummins they built is a Bad Mama-Jama. 8)

DPG 04-16-2003 04:33 PM

I also agree with Top. I have never owned any Banks products, but from what I've read and what I've personally heard from others, Banks equipment is pricey, but I've never heard anyone question the quality. Different strokes for different folks.<br><br>DeWain

StakeMan 04-16-2003 05:02 PM

Top,<br><br>Very well stated. Vendor bashing is not allowed here.<br><br>I have the Banks 4&quot; SS exhaust and had thier gauges.<br><br>

BigBlue 04-16-2003 05:13 PM

HAD their gauges? WHy'd you get rid of them? The one thing I wish I could get from them for cheap is a 4&quot; piece of pipe that is bent to go over the muffler and has a 5&quot; chrome or polished tip on it. I desperately need one of those.

Lary Ellis (Top) 04-16-2003 06:10 PM

[quote author=StakeMan link=board=7;threadid=13678;start=0#128815 date=1050530566]<br>Top,<br><br>Very well stated. Vendor bashing is not allowed here.<br><br>I have the Banks 4&quot; SS exhaust and had thier gauges.<br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br> Stakeman Bashing is however encouraged here ;D

Battering Ram 04-16-2003 06:20 PM

To that point I would like to add I had the entire Banks Powerpack on my 2001. Now all that remains is the High Ram and the stickers for a sleeper look [eyecrazy]

OverFueled 04-16-2003 06:33 PM

Battering Ram. You need to get rid of that High Ram. I could use it, I like the LOOKS :o Let me know OverFueled<br><br>PS Well said TOP.

KATOOM 04-17-2003 12:33 AM

I agree very much on the well put statement by Top, but I must add that I, as a consumer, am glad that we are able to tell our fellow truckers what we have, where we got it, how it works, and most of all how we like it! I'm sure that these informative post have saved many of us a lot of money and pointed us in particular directions. May they be the right or wrong directions is up to you. This is called freedom of speech and press. Very important if you ask me!!! The difference here is that we should exersize a high level of class when you are expressing your feelings about a product or vendor. The consumers should be allowed to know the truth about the product they are interested in and these sites are of the many places the will look. If the vendors dont like the comments being places about them then there must be good reason for it. As a business man myself I must also make the public happy as to not have such slander spread about my company or product. Because if I don't I will soon be out of business!!! Shouldn't this rule apply to all types of industries?

jt 04-17-2003 06:26 AM

I have never purchased anything from BANKS. The major complaint I have heard at the trade shows is that their customer service is very poor. I beleive they give you the product that they advertise. Maybe the days of keeping the customer happy is gone. Just my peace.<br><br>jt

Jack Thorpe 04-17-2003 07:17 AM

[quote author=jt link=board=7;threadid=13678;start=0#128971 date=1050578805]<br>Maybe the days of keeping the customer happy is gone. Just my peace.<br><br>jt<br>[/quote]<br><br>Just a quick comment here, but this is quite a strong statement from someone who's never purchased Banks products before. Obviously there is a market for it, since the guy is the biggest of them all in this industry. He must have done something right. You can't knock him for that.

pappyman 04-17-2003 08:05 AM

I have bought from Banks....mostly in the early days for motor-homes I found good quality parts but high prices....I started searching for other sources for these parts at better prices even to this day Banks is still the leader for Cummins performance upgrades promoted mostly by dealers to the uninformed public<br><br>As stated by others they have higher prices on most items (some prices are reasonable) and seem to overstate the horsepower gains of their products but I feel any time they state their product will not void the warranty is false<br><br>Everyone can spend their money any way they see fit to so if Banks has the product you're looking for by all means buy it and being an adult stand by you're decision regardless of any product bashing ;D