Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Auxillary Tank (filter?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Auxillary Tank (filter?)

I'm considering an in-bed auxillary fuel tank. I seem to notice other's that have a pump as well as a filter. Question: Isn't the filter (under the hood) sufficient? Not sure what the purpose is for the filter on the pump assembly.
Only reason I ask is I'd like to configure my aux. tank for gravity feed...wouldn't have/need a filter in that configuration, right?
Old 10-12-2009, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My truck has a 70 gallon aux tank in the bed. I was told it had a filter prior to the electric pump that handles the transfer when needed. I found out it only had a 30 micron sock filter on the end of the pick up tube.

I added a Racor Marine Centrifigal Water Seperator with 10 micron filter (200 Seris Racor) (SM2000 Filter) to the system. It currently is on the pressure side of the pump. I have not seen any debris in the Racor Bowl yet. When I had it on my 85 6.2 Suburban, I would find sand and grit in the bowl all the time. Never had alot of water, but some was seen in the winter from the fuel return. Hot fuel, cold tank.

I'm either going to rerun the fuel lines on the Racor so its on the suction side of the pump or install another small clear filter on that side. I really don't want debris passing thru the electric pump.

Picture of the Racor posted in my Gallery.

Dave
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have mine set up.....aux tank gravity fed to > main tank > baldwin spin-on > holley blue > factory LP > factory filter. The setup pretty much ensures very clean fuel and retains the factory water sep and is cheaper to change filters. I would recomend installing a small pump from the aux to the main tank as it can be very slow to feed.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by high bid
I would recomend installing a small pump from the aux to the main tank as it can be very slow to feed.
My set up: Tank > Raptor 150 > stock filter ...and so on. I'm figuring the gavity feed will be slow enough that I shouldn't need a pump from aux to main. I read somewhere (might have been on a sticky or somewhere else) that the main filler tube into the tank has some sort of "anti-overflow" configuration design so having the aux set up to gavity feed won't end up overflowing.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My setup: Aux. tank>Main Tank>Raptor 150>Stock Filter

I don't run any filtration between the 2 tanks.

The tank is gravity fed, but I tied in to the aux. port on top of the tank, not the filler tube. If left on, it won't overflow sitting still, but when driving it will come out the top. I believe it's splashing out the rollover valve because it's overfull, but I don't know for sure. I installed a 12V valve inline so I could control it. Wired the valve so it will only open with the key on and also put in a toggle switch, so I can manually open and close it.

I do have pics of my setup, but I'm just heading back to work, and don't have time to put them up. Let me know if you want to see the pics and I'll post them this afternoon when I get off work.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I run a inline strainer to protect the pump then let the engine filter do its thing
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 PM

Here's an old thread with pics of my setup. Probably not the best setup, but it works for me.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...y-t242035.html
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by OldDodgeOwner
Here's an old thread with pics of my setup. Probably not the best setup, but it works for me.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...y-t242035.html
OldDodge'r: I like your set up, and with the Raptor plus no other filters, that's nearly exactly what I have in mind. Was unaware of the aux plug on the tank (where's it at exactly?). Also, if the aux plug on the tank was intended for this use, I wonder why it leaks? Thanks regardless and I'll save this post! -D
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM

I don't know if the aux. fitting is actually intended to be used that way. Looking at the top of the fuel tank module, there's a 3/8" fitting on the far left with a rubber cap. That's the one I tapped in to.
Old 10-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if you gravity feed through a 2 micron filter to the main tank and try to fill the aux only you will never have to change the truck filter.