Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Another VP44 question (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/another-vp44-question-92252/)

ChevyEater 02-13-2006 11:47 PM

Another VP44 question

My injection pump started going bad on my way back to school this weekend while going down the interstate. I have the mods done that are listed in my signature, and I was wondering if y'all thought it would be better to get another stock pump or to get one of the Hot Rod pumps from Industrial Injection (or any others if y'all know of any)? Also, I was wondering if y'all thought I could still get my injection pump covered under warranty because I only have 60,000 miles, but I do have my wire tapped. Thanks for any advice.

BigBlue 02-14-2006 12:00 AM

Good luck with the warranty. The dealers are wise to our tricks and what not. If your not going for all out power then definately go with a hot rod.

99 cummins 02-14-2006 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
If your not going for all out power then definately go with a hot rod.

HUH, I don't get it. Why would he want the hot rod VP if he doesn't care about power. Come on BB put your truck to bed and concentrate on what your doin here. Couldn't just let that one pass.

Ph4tty 02-14-2006 07:44 AM

Acoording to Don max hp won't increase w/ injectors box and HRVP, unless you have a HO. So maybe look at the SO VP44's from II unless you're thinking of ditching the comp :)

See post #2
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ad.php?t=92024

durity 03-22-2007 09:27 AM

I have a 2000 3500 with 60,000 miles on it and the Injection Pump has gone bad. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the cure for this not to happen. It is very expensive and disapointing.Seems to me 60,000 miles is very low for such a expensive (2,700 dollars) problem already. Thanks, Jimbo
durity@dmv.com

jriggs_18 03-22-2007 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by durity (Post 1420951)
I have a 2000 3500 with 60,000 miles on it and the Injection Pump has gone bad. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what is the cure for this not to happen. It is very expensive and disapointing.Seems to me 60,000 miles is very low for such a expensive (2,700 dollars) problem already. Thanks, Jimbo
durity@dmv.com

Well $2700 should replace you VP twice and leave some cash left over, now maybe the dealer wants 2700 for the job but it can be done for about $1046.87 from Midwest fuel injection plus shipping.

zulusafari 03-22-2007 12:12 PM

MWFI includes free shipping, including for the core. That $1045 or so is complete, if you can do the job yourself. Oh, and mine included a new Overflow Valve, just like the II kits. Either rebuilder has a good reputation. Blue Chip seems to be the only rebuilder I have heard of that warrants chipped pumps, as long as a stealth cover is used instead of tapping the wire.

BigBlue 03-22-2007 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by 99 cummins (Post 900883)
HUH, I don't get it. Why would he want the hot rod VP if he doesn't care about power. Come on BB put your truck to bed and concentrate on what your doin here. Couldn't just let that one pass.

Very simple, the HRVP's don't add any additional power over a SO pump once the wire is tapped. Or at least not enough to justify the cost. Now this is just my personal experience. Personally, I'm going with just an SO pump once this one goes out.

zulusafari 03-22-2007 12:48 PM

Don M posted a very good explanation in another thread about the threshold limit of the HRVP's when it came to power. Basically, the pump makes the same power as a stock pump with a chip added. If someone already has the chip, then it made better sense to keep the standard output pump and chip it, since the chip determines the fuel delivery. Also, when/if the chip is stacked or upgraded, then more power is achieved through the Standard Pump over a HRVP. At least that is how I remember it. I went with the MWFI pump, and am going to add some power from Quadzilla most likely, and possibly a Smarty. For the price of the Xzillaraider, I still have less money into my VP44 replacement than if I went with the HRVP, and will have roughly the same power and the ability to turn it up some more later.