Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Am I tuning it right? For my HX35?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I tuning it right? For my HX35?

Before I spring for my Pacbrake thought I'd bettered check that my tuning is balanced for my stock turbo. IIRC, SDX blessed this union, but it's been a while and I want to make sure...

Plan is SDX 5x 12 injectors, #10 fuel plate, tuned p-pump, advance timing

1--how far should I advance the timing?
2--should I move the plate forward?
3--I want to install the injectors this weekend, the next step be advance timing before tuning the pump? Not the other way around, right?
4--also, I imagine I need to tune the pump with a freshly changed fuel filter? Or not?

Thanks
Old 07-17-2016, 01:31 PM

Whoopee !!!

So I went ahead and installed the injectors, 10K plate and moved the plate/AFC forward. Didn't mess with the star wheel yet but not smoking.
Also have not adjusted the timing yet, I assume it is at stock...

WOW, I'm thrilled. Not a race truck but the kind of power you'd expect. I never really got boost before except when I was gunning it up a hill, and then only 21# briefly.
In regards to my stock turbo--
If I don't' exceed the 33# boost or 1300 egts, is that a good measure that my turbo can safely tolerate this set up? Or is there unseen forces at work?

thanks, I really want to know before I install my pac brake. A new turbo wasn't in my budget…

btw, 3 of my injectors are leaking, so much for my wrenching. At least I know how to get it apart and together more quickly. Think I might need new washers…but I will do a search to trouble shoot this.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
I'm not all that comfortable giving timing advice, but for what it is worth, I have decided that when I do it, I will likely run 15-1/2 degrees.

To get a detailed answer, you might want to talk to the Mfg. of your Injectors, the pop pressure they set them at makes a difference in what you run for timing.

I don't think you have to worry about needing a turbo unless you get goofy with the Hp.

I scared a buddy silly with his well tuned 96 3500 5 speed with nothing more than a 3K GSK, Injectors and what I assume was a Jessup tune ( truck came from Columbus Indiana and ran like a scared rabbit. )

Anyway, for towing you won't need to get stupid.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:40 PM

Per patdaly's advice, I got hold of the previous owner of Southern Diesel Xtreme, now at X-Fuel Motorsports. He was super helpful and gave me detailed info. He was positive about my current setup and said this is the setup he would recommend, that the 5x12's are about 90HP and will work with my stock turbo if I just watch my egts and tune my fuel pump accordingly.

My plan is to fix the injectors, then see what it does towing. If its good I'll go for the pac brake.

Unless there is something that I'm missing here?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by barngal6
Per patdaly's advice, I got hold of the previous owner of Southern Diesel Xtreme, now at X-Fuel Motorsports. He was super helpful and gave me detailed info. He was positive about my current setup and said this is the setup he would recommend, that the 5x12's are about 90HP and will work with my stock turbo if I just watch my egts and tune my fuel pump accordingly.

My plan is to fix the injectors, then see what it does towing. If its good I'll go for the pac brake.

Unless there is something that I'm missing here?
Did you happen to ask him what timing he would run?

Really these things are so detuned from the factory that it doesn't take much to really wake them up.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Recommended timing

No, I forgot to ask that. I may call him back, and I'm also going to see what my potentially new mechanic has to say, it will be interesting to hear his take on this stuff. I will call back the X Treme Diesel and post what they say
Old 07-24-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
If your on stock head bolts I wouldn't go over 16 degrees. Cylinder pressures go up as timing goes "up".

A boost elbow if you don't have one yet is a must have, stock waste gate will open before 20psi. Even then you are capable of too much fuel for the stock HX35.

I would recommend a he351cw off a 3rd gen, can get a good used one for a couple hundred and it doesn't take a whole bunch to bolt it up. Open up the waste gate port and it will perform well for your setup.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:34 AM

Thanks for the responses. I'm doing a search on that turbo gorms. Wasn't planning on going too high with the timing, figured 15.5-16*

Can't remember exactly why the turbo PAC was recommended over the inline...I'll go back and see... The good thing is I haven't bought the PAC yet so I can test my setup. Will the timing lower my egts at all?
Old 08-03-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 86 Likes on 70 Posts
Once you set timing to where the truck runs/starts best, set your fuel to produce about 35 psi (HX35) at 1200F EGT.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by ofelas
Once you set timing to where the truck runs/starts best, set your fuel to produce about 35 psi (HX35) at 1200F EGT.
Thanks, that's super helpful. I am waiting for the timing, then do the final plAte AFC tuning.

I was totally wrong about the smoking, I have had to move the 10 plate back to at least stock position and tighten the star wheel all the way (to expedite things) to stop the smoking. Plus I'm pretty sure I have a boost leak but haven't tracked it down.

So when it's time I guess I'll find the boost leak, and hopefully I can tune the pump to goals you specified.