Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/)
-   -   Advice Purchasing Second Gen (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/advice-purchasing-second-gen-316147/)

EdmontonCanada 01-13-2014 10:40 AM

Advice Purchasing Second Gen

I'm looking to purchase a second generation dodge diesel (I have a 3rd gen).

I'd like to get advice on which year(s) are preferable and why (from engine, fuel pump, body).

I'm looking for good fuel economy, I'll only be towing up to 7000-8000 lbs. I'll do some modest upgrades (new tranny if auto, clutch if manual?, turbo, mild injectors, intake, exhaust).

lovinCTD59 01-14-2014 03:14 AM

I have had some good miles in my 2001.5 3500.. I really like towing with the 6Speed/NV5600. With the HO motor it seems to have more power abover the 2400rpm mark than with a SO engine in stock form. Any 24v will need attention to the fuel lift pump setup, doing away with the carter engine mounted or intank pump going with a aftermarket pump along with a fuel pressure gauge will keep the vp44 injection pump happy.. If you do find a NV5600, make sure to use the reccomended fluid and change the fluid on a regular schedule,and overfill the trans by 1 quart..

01.5 was the first year of rear disc brakes, which is a plus to me. You can check out my signature, with the mods I have done I have no issues pulling, once the turbo lights at about 1900rpms it pulls hard..

I have been looking for another low mile 24v or 12v, but can't find anything in my area in my price range:(

Only thing I regret was not fixing my rocker panel and cab corner rust when it first started.. I have a good amount of body work to do in the spring.

EdmontonCanada 01-14-2014 01:01 PM

Thanks for the great info!

One of the things I'm wondering about is the transmissions. What are the advantages/disadvantages of the various automatics?

And if I do get a manual, can I assume I'll only have to upgrade the clutch for a modest power increase?

dubc2323 01-14-2014 07:38 PM

try for a manual if you can I don't like the way my auto 47re shifts so I will be putting work into my tranny soon.

lovinCTD59 01-14-2014 07:52 PM

The 47re can be built to take some serious abuse.. I guess most automatics can, it just takes a solid 3000 to 6000 dollars spent at ATS, Goerend, etc.. most look at the 6 speed as a 'big truck' transmission, meaning its a slower shifting trans vs the nv4500 but can take more HP and Torque in stock form. A lot of guys running much more power than me with only a Southbend or Valair clutch..

gorms 01-14-2014 09:21 PM

I'd get two, one auto and one manual. :D

Seriously I went from auto to 5 spd and it's much better suited for me, but there are times I really miss the auto and I'm looking to get another, maybe a 2wd....just don't tell my wife. [tapdshut]

As for different autos, only difference from early 2nd gen (94-95) and later ones are hydraulic governer vs electric governer in RE models. RH model's only dependancy on a computer is for overdrive an converter lockup, bit simpler.

Same arguement goes for 12v vs 24v motors, 12v (you may already know all this) has a mechanical inj. pump that only needs fuel and oil to run, VP44 in 24v is electronically controlled, and 9/10 times will not last as long as a "p" pump from what I've seen. They are easy to turn up with a programmer though, have nice things like 3cyl high idle. Either will supply enough fuel to get your truck (or trans) in trouble with some work though.

DIESELWRKS 01-15-2014 05:11 AM

hope this helps.

I can say I'm happy with my 02. I will post some of the fixes that i have done to make it run/feel right to me and what I use it for. also list some things that i can think of to look out for or be aware of.

do a search on 53 block. some early year 24v's had this casted block. Some have had problems with blocks cracking.

KDP. 12/24 V had a pin in front enging cover would work its way loose drop down in front gears and crunch. located behind front cover on engine. I believe this did affect up to 01.5. There is a KDP pin kit you can buy to fix but its a job to get to and fix.

VP-44 . endless stories good and bad. I have had great luck with mine I replaced it at 89k miles as a insurance and i now have 191 on truck. I did put a fass150 HPRP on at that time. so better fuel pump is a great investment no matter what you go with.

not all 2nd gens will have a dana 80 in the rear. I cannot remmeber what years will have them.

as stated earlier the later years of 24 v' 01.5 came with disc brakes on all 4.

I had many issues with my steering linkage from the stock oem . to going to the HD version 98-99 . and now I have put the 3rd gen steering system on much bigger. been on now for 15k and no problems.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=303422

Steering upgrades have had great success with my DT-Pro fab adjustable trac bar, Borgenson Steering box and shaft. and DSS Steering Shaft Stabilizer. all of these have around 60-75k on them.

as you may already know the front of these years well most, have a crankcase breather tube in front that dumps straight into a plastic cup.
so this system would put yuk blow by and oil out all over the front engine to the back of engine underneath. all over the radiator, intercooler etc.
combine that with a seal on the Vacumm pump that goes out also. you can have oil mess. So if you find a truck and see this mess everywhere. make the seller powerwash and clean the truck. this way you can see if the oil is from this and not something bigger.

Most people extend the hose on the crankcase back further to dump behind thet cab so it limits the area that can get oiled.

Also for the 24v that do have disc brakes. if you put on non oem wheels that are 17" (stock) 16"/ maybe 15" on certain models.
you can put the same size rotors/calipers/brakes that a early 3rd gen has. (03-?)
This is a bomb you can google to find out more.

my NV5600 hasn't had any problems to date. I change the fluid out 1 yearly no matter what. I have had success with using REDLINE MTL that according to them is compatible with the NV5600. but that Oil and others is a debate to whom you ask.

I used a SB Clutch 2 diff single disc's in past a ofe and a aggressive one (??) anyway as i introduced more fuel and goodies. they slipped. they really slipped when i got the smarty. So i put in a SB3600 Double disk. at the time they (PETER @ SB) said this one. but they now offer a SB3250 which has better manners and i guess less noise.

Hope this helps I know it was alot of reading. my dates on years may be off someone can chime in and correct. but I'm atleast correct 3 out of 2 tries. [duhhh]

cLAYH 01-15-2014 11:15 PM

I had an '01.5 dually, its my dads truck now(see sig). The steering on the 2nd gens sucked. I got the DSS kit from a place in Olds and it made it WAY batter. Lets it use a stock 3rd gen trac bar. Dad recently got the front end aligned and the mechanic actually complimented him on it and stated it was the tightest front end on a 2nd gen Dodge he had ever seen. That kit was installed almost 10 years ago and over 150,000kms.

The early 2ng gens had mechanical injection pumps and are said to be the most reliable of any year Dodge diesel. The later 2nd gens(98.5+) got an electronic injection pump that is said to be the least reliable. However most failures(in my opinion) came from failed lift pumps starving the injection pump. Or factory lift pumps not being able to keep up with a modded truck. My 2001 had a booster pump installed with a new factory pump(not tank mounted) installed shortly after I got it, then the Edge JA went on and I've never had a problem with pumps or injector pump.

The later 2nd gens had more creature comforts than the early ones. Also got the "sucide" doors on the club cabs for easier entry into the back seat.

I had an auto in mine and with it stock the Edge on #4 could make it slip. I changed out the torque convertor and valve body and added a double deep finned pan and after that it held no problem, even with mild injectors. Reguarly towed 13K no problem, even did 18K once but took it easy on the inclines and dropped the power down.

cLAYH 01-15-2014 11:18 PM

Oh I changed out the mirrors pretty quick, WAY to small for towing. Dodge really screwed up there. Also the factory hitch was WAY under rated for the truck. My 2001 3500 dually had the EXACT same hitch on it as my sister's 1500.

hallio217 01-18-2014 08:19 PM

My VP44 just went out today, and I can still say I think it is a great truck! It was my fault that the injector pump went out (I was hauling concrete up a grade without enough fuel pressure). The tranny, body, engine, axle, cab, audio, bed etc. are all great, its just the injector pump that is questionable, but IMO that doesnt make it a bad truck :)

supr 01-19-2014 08:32 AM

Definetly get the NV5600, especially if you tow. I believe th the 1.5/02 had the Dana 80. I would not mod too much for power, as there is some debate over wether this will shoten the life of the VP44. The LP needs a fix, and the big line kit and the Airtex pump are inexpensive options. There are many LP/filter options that you can read about. I put an 80 micron simple screen filter from Summit before the LP. If you tow grades, an exhaust brake. Also airbags help with heavy fivers. The stock airfilter is well designed & more than adequete. The front end/steering need help too, especially the trac bar.
The stock 3.55 gears willgive you 20+ mpg, if it is running right.

Danderson 01-19-2014 09:48 AM

Definitely get the manual and a 2001.5+ so you can stop it.
If you find an earlier one with a manual and rear drums figure on a Pacbrake.
Stopping that load will be much easier.

torquefan 01-19-2014 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS (Post 3220933)
...not all 2nd gens will have a dana 80 in the rear. I cannot remember what years will have them...

From 94 to 02, all duallies were equipped with the Dana 80, also all manual transmission-equipped 2500s. I highly recommend getting the 80, as I have seen too many trashed 70s. As soon as the carrier bearings have enough wear to lose preload, the races like to spin and wear out the housing.

My personal favourite years are the 96 and 97. Manual trans trucks were equipped with the 215 HP P-pump, which I think had the best driveability of all of them. They still had the old dash, which I have found to be far more durable than the newer ones. As much as I think having a quad cab would be very handy, I find the old club cab seems much quieter and more solid going down the road. Also, I am not a fan of rear disc brakes on these trucks and am very happy with my drums.
Just my :2cents:, best of luck in whatever you choose.

DIESELWRKS 01-20-2014 05:29 AM

Thanks Torquefan,
I knew someone here with more info would know. Funny cause i was thinking that there was also some Dana 70's that had manual's too. But that just shows my 2 cents are not always shiny.

eng208 01-20-2014 08:09 AM

I just posted my 12 Valve 97 that has had just about everything you would want for a reliable unit. Goerend tranny, gauges, very clean truck. It's here on the classifieds. I am in South Ga though and not interested in going to Canada.Lol Too cold!