Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

600 hp,single turbo, stock vp, big injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
600 hp,single turbo, stock vp, big injectors??

my buddy isrunning a big amazon turbo with stock vp and huge sticks. Question is will this setup ever realistically make 600 HP and be anywhere near a daily driver? He is running a 66 I believe and a external wastegate which seems Hellas overkill but to each his own. he is claiming 600 HP but its laggy smoky and finally spoils up around 2000and then defuels at 3,000 so it seems to mms like no.setup I would ever run but I'm skeptics of believing that 600 story he is running stock valve springs t oo
Old 03-28-2011, 05:29 PM

Sounds like BS to me. Also sounds completely worthless.

Oh, and if you are talking about a blowoff valve, they are WORTHLESS on a diesel since the diesel doesn't have a butterfly on the intake. They put them on gassers so that you don't overboost when you let off the throttle.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:54 PM

No it is a non wg turbo and he put a external wg on it to rout the exhaust around the turbo back into the exhaust pipe. But still not needed on such a large turbo. 600 just sounyds far fetched to me
Old 03-28-2011, 06:19 PM

most people need a so pump mach 6-7's and or, nox and twins to be able to hit that also have seen it, they can be okay at DD. there are a few trucks on here.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2000 was a stock VP, walbro pump, edge pro comp, intake, intake manifold,5" turbo back exhaust, 62-71-13 HTT and DDP 150 HP injectors that's it for the engine mods and dynoed 521HP.

Ran great, quick spool, didn't get too hot. I think with a bigger turbo for more air if you bumped up to some of the bigger injectors getting 600 is not that far fetched. Bet you are getting to the limits of the VP though.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:02 AM

Scott, were you running stock valve springs and how much boost were you pumping? I keep telling him to go twins and go to 4k but he won't listen. he is determined to get 600 from a single. Oh he has stock head gasket also. I have the tool to cut the rings in the block, i keep telling him ill help him o ring it but he is also determined to blow the stock gasket and risk overheating the motor... to each his own
Old 03-29-2011, 11:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by banks twinram
Scott, were you running stock valve springs and how much boost were you pumping? I keep telling him to go twins and go to 4k but he won't listen. he is determined to get 600 from a single. Oh he has stock head gasket also. I have the tool to cut the rings in the block, i keep telling him ill help him o ring it but he is also determined to blow the stock gasket and risk overheating the motor... to each his own
I had stock valve springs, 130k on the engine. That turbo peaked at about 40-45 psi with comp on 4x4(in CO at 5400ft), no upgraded studs or gasket.

I made quite a few hard runs at the track, 3rd gear 4wd launches and never had any issues with the head gasket or extreme heat in the turbo. I think I probably had the perfect injectors for the turbo. I bet he could hit 600 with a bigger turbo and bigger sticks, but without studs would probably be venturing too close to the limits of the stock setup.

After building a 600HP motor, getting it O-ringed and/or studs would be top of my list, to protect all that investment.

Edit: If I had money it would be twins for sure. Sure you could get 600 on a single but seems like it's nowhere near as versatile as twins to get there.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 AM

Im building my truck now and shooting for 700hp. It'll have a 66/74/14, 300 hp injectors, adrenaline, raptor 150, hellmann fuel sump, 110lb springs, 12mm studs, o-rings, atleast a 181/210 cam... maybe a 188, spearco intercooler, stainless diesel manifold, tunnelram intake plate, pusher intake manifold, and a BHAF... no injectables.

The turbo is a "Billet Bullet" that Jamie from CPP sells... hes has the exact turbo on his truck right now and he loves it, said it spools great and he even tows 10k lbs with it, and used the truck to plow snow all winter. Its the billet wheel that makes the turbo spool so well. His truck made 623 rwhp before he even put this turbo on... so its deffinitely possible to have a single turbo 600 hp reliable daily driver with a VP.

Oh and btw he just recently posted a pic of a read-out from the gauges after a short run from a dead stop... EGTs didn't even get to 1300* and boost was 55psi I believe.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM

Hmmm, interesting story. does he have or you have the dyno sheet I'm assuming your talking about J-lent the guy that got banned.

Last edited by DIESELWRKS; 03-30-2011 at 11:12 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM

Hmmm some people try to claim that they can more accurately measure HP by running it on the track and using time/weight etc to get a HP number than on a chassis dyno I'm not so sure about that either. But most synod I have seen don't even take a reading of rpms of the motor and from various gear ratios and such I don't see how it is possible to get accurate readings anyways! My first cummins I had dyed with stock injectors turbo 160 p pump with plate.removed and the dyno sheet said 319hp and 839 tq I was impressed with that I mean for stock everything accept bumped timing the highest HP I saw from a vp was 350 940 stock 9 cm turbo big sticks that was kind of impressive I did see a 700 HP common rail twins with big sticks dual vp3 and that was sick
Old 03-30-2011, 01:21 PM

what.. price shock. just saw the price of that billit bullet etc. 2250$.. spending that on a single turbo, why wouldn't you just do twins. and be cooler.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:51 PM

He could of got a killer deal on it! I got a stage 3 bb garrett for 700 regular 1900 brand new. No monkey business or sticky finger discount just at the right place at the right time (:
Old 03-30-2011, 04:37 PM

Well, the biggest reason is because more often then not a set of twins can be a bit more difficult to get tuned in right... and besides I couldn't care less about being cool... if I did I'd do triples... its the new fad with turbos.

As for Jamie getting banned... don't know or care about that. I just recently started posting on here again... I do know that his truck is a proven runner that sled pulls, plows snow, hauls loads, and is daily driven. I didn't mean to bring up a sore subject...

As for the dyno sheet... why would I have it?

banks, are you saying the highest hp you've seen from a vp44 powered truck is 350??
Old 03-30-2011, 05:20 PM

Well tuning twins are not that bad, and I was meaning cool as in egt's . and I know jamie has alot more in his truck M-5's cam, adrenaline at one time not sure if he is running it now. and was the super b special like my turbo and now has the other one. so yes it can be done I guess to get to 600hp. but I really hear more people saying it. than showing proof of said HP numbers. but I would like to see the dyno graph on this.
having a single turbo and the rpm/curve with this turbo. not many people drive daily with the rpm's in the 3k range or higher. so this to me is a hard sell for this to be good on daily driving. I just think if someone is going to state that so and so did so and so I think a dyno sheet would be good for everyone on here to see. after all that is what the thread is about, I did read on his web site that this billit turbo spools much like the one he replaced. super b special. well I have that and even with the cam and added timing etc. mine spools slow compared to other turbos I have had. 1800-2200 rpm's so I have a hard time thinking that the big single turbo of that size. spools good. nothing against the turbo. but would like to see his dyno sheet on both the old and newer turbo. I would bet his high HP 600 numbers are almost double the rpm's than most daily drivers drive at.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by DIESELWRKS
Well tuning twins are not that bad, and I was meaning cool as in egt's . and I know jamie has alot more in his truck M-5's cam, adrenaline at one time not sure if he is running it now. and was the super b special like my turbo and now has the other one. so yes it can be done I guess to get to 600hp. but I really hear more people saying it. than showing proof of said HP numbers. but I would like to see the dyno graph on this.
having a single turbo and the rpm/curve with this turbo. I just think if someone is going to state that so and so did so and so I think a dyno sheet would be good for everyone on here to see. after all that is what the thread is about, I did read on his web site that this billit turbo spools much like the one he replaced. super b special. well I have that and even with the cam and added timing etc. mine spools slow compared to other turbos I have had. 1800-2200 rpm's so I have a hard time thinking that the big single turbo of that size. spools good. nothing against the turbo.
You must have issues if your turbo isn't spooling by 1800. I had the super b on my 12v, and it was a great turbo. Especially since you have a cam as well. I know when I put the 181/210 cam in my 24v, it brought the bullet I was running in 300 rpm earlier, 1700 rpm. That was with the 73mm turbine, not the 71 that the super B has.

Quick Reply: 600 hp,single turbo, stock vp, big injectors??