Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

600 hp,single turbo, stock vp, big injectors??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got ya on the egts haha... well not even 1300* with 240 horse sticks is fine in my book and thats with a stock cam and i believe the intercooler is too... but don't quote me.

With the billet wheel, 181 cam, and the tunnelram & pusher I'm hoping to see some decent spool up time. Would be better with some head work but thats later on down the road when it gets p-pumped.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1BAD4X4
I got ya on the egts haha... well not even 1300* with 240 horse sticks is fine in my book and thats with a stock cam and i believe the intercooler is too... but don't quote me.

With the billet wheel, 181 cam, and the tunnelram & pusher I'm hoping to see some decent spool up time. Would be better with some head work but thats later on down the road when it gets p-pumped.

my super b special is 10k miles old as well as the engine rebuild and cam. I did notice better spool with added timing with the smarty. I have pulled heavy 2 times. they were 10k and 15k both I'm at sea level to 1200 and both times I was able to keep it at 60mph and my temps were 1250-1300 with not much timing. but was super laggy towing heavy alot of black smoke on take off and shifting until I got spooling over 2k rpms so I know the 181 cam helped I just dont know to what? and I like the tunnelram set up. still a wonder when to pull the trigger on it. but I do think I will be heading to twins sell this turbo and do the twins.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by banks twinram
Hmmm some people try to claim that they can more accurately measure HP by running it on the track and using time/weight etc to get a HP number than on a chassis dyno I'm not so sure about that either. But most synod I have seen don't even take a reading of rpms of the motor and from various gear ratios and such I don't see how it is possible to get accurate readings anyways! My first cummins I had dyed with stock injectors turbo 160 p pump with plate.removed and the dyno sheet said 319hp and 839 tq I was impressed with that I mean for stock everything accept bumped timing the highest HP I saw from a vp was 350 940 stock 9 cm turbo big sticks that was kind of impressive I did see a 700 HP common rail twins with big sticks dual vp3 and that was sick
Dyno I used had a light sensor deal that monitored RPM.

highest HP from stock VP was 350?

If that's what you meant they are capable of much more than that.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:58 PM

No I was not saying that was the highest HP I have seen from a stock vp. I have only been to one dyno event and that's just the highest vp there at that event I should of.been more specific. Anyways. Yall don't get in fights over this I was just wondering..
Old 03-30-2011, 11:24 PM

No I was not saying that was the highest HP I have seen from a stock vp. I have only been to one dyno event and that's just the highest vp there at that event I should of.been more specific. Anyways. Yall don't get in fights over this I was just wondering..
Oh OK, .
Old 03-31-2011, 09:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmmm some people try to claim that they can more accurately measure HP by running it on the track and using time/weight etc to get a HP number than on a chassis dyno I'm not so sure about that either. But most synod I have seen don't even take a reading of rpms of the motor and from various gear ratios and such I don't see how it is possible to get accurate readings anyways! My first cummins I had dyed with stock injectors turbo 160 p pump with plate.removed and the dyno sheet said 319hp and 839 tq I was impressed with that I mean for stock everything accept bumped timing the highest HP I saw from a vp was 350 940 stock 9 cm turbo big sticks that was kind of impressive I did see a 700 HP common rail twins with big sticks dual vp3 and that was sick
A drag strip run measures average applied HP. It can't tell you jack crap about peak engine HP unless you operated the engine at peak HP rpm the whole time (which would require a CVT transmission).

The reason most dynos fail is because they can't account for interactions.

For example, a Mustang dyno (load-style) measures torque and calculates HP. But a Mustang dyno could never detect the difference in response you'd feel going to a flywheel with 100# more weight. IN fact, the Mustang would tell you have MORE power, when the actual acceleration will be slower.

A Dynojet (like a 248c) measures HP and calculates torque. It is generally more precise (in the proper meaning of repeatability), even if it's not super accurate. If the dyno drum is the some rotational load as what your truck experiences on the road, then it's very accurate. But often, the drum is far too light, and can't replicate the conditions you'd see on the road. This is why so many twin turbo guys get terrible results on a dynojet-- there's not enough load placed on the engine to get the big charger spooled.

It's also why you really need a mystery switch to accurately dyno an auto-trans truck on an intertial dyno. This prevents a downshift that can destroy your accuracy.

Always dyno a manual trans truck in the tallest gear for most accurate results when using an inertial dyno.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
You must have issues if your turbo isn't spooling by 1800. I had the super b on my 12v, and it was a great turbo. Especially since you have a cam as well. I know when I put the 181/210 cam in my 24v, it brought the bullet I was running in 300 rpm earlier, 1700 rpm. That was with the 73mm turbine, not the 71 that the super B has.
interesting Tate, I wonder I should probley check and see what my timing is set at. I may set it at this for lash. .010" .015" I think this should help some but dont know if there is a down side to this setting
Old 04-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Jamie dynoed 616 at sarvers dyno day today, cpp 7x12, batmo wheel billet 66, stock so, stock cam, stock intercooler, adrenaline 4k tune. Even though showing 80% load and 45 psi compared to 62, It did break 6 but that so pump has no more in it. His 623 loaded to 56 psi but wasn't the batmo. There were a few vp's over 550 there today.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Brian Lent
Jamie dynoed 616 at sarvers dyno day today, cpp 7x12, batmo wheel billet 66, stock so, stock cam, stock intercooler, adrenaline 4k tune. Even though showing 80% load and 45 psi compared to 62, It did break 6 but that so pump has no more in it. His 623 loaded to 56 psi but wasn't the batmo. There were a few vp's over 550 there today.
This means he's finally gonna p-pump it since the VP is on its last legs?
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Actually he said he has some type of vp someone built for him to try. I think he wants to keep the street, towing manners. It still stayed over 500 hp til 3850 rpm though. Hope the new pump runs good for him cause they seem hit or miss.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 PM

my buddy isrunning a big amazon turbo with stock vp and huge sticks. Question is will this setup ever realistically make 600 HP and be anywhere near a daily driver? He is running a 66 I believe and a external wastegate which seems Hellas overkill but to each his own. he is claiming 600 HP but its laggy smoky and finally spoils up around 2000and then defuels at 3,000 so it seems to mms like no.setup I would ever run but I'm skeptics of believing that 600 story he is running stock valve springs t oo
So why would anyone do this?
Just driving or even pulling identical trailers he would even get close enough to see my tailights and my truck is below the average in power and mods!!!!

Take a decent factory set-up and make a moody narrow power band is all wrong.
My truck hasn't been on a dyno, it may make 450 with 52 psi boost.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Jamie is talking about running a Monster pump or p-pumping it... and after seeing his numbers on CF... I'm a bit dissapointed... probably not as much as he is lol... but still, now I too have the tough choice on wether to go with a monster pump or p-pump....