Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

4th/OD Switch??

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by paulb
Do you have the relay removed and jumped? And yes you can hook up a switch to force it into overdrive early.

Once mine is locked up with the lockup switch, it doesn't come out no matter what. Even when coming to a stop...

Paul
Yes, relay came up missing.

Tim is thinking it's something screwy with the TPS, and a 98 12v I'm working with him on some other tweaks to my tranny, so one way or another, we'll get it straightened out!

I'm sure it's something simple that my limited Auto knowledge is amplifying

Chris
Old 03-01-2007, 09:20 AM

Mine does the same thing, it downshifts into third gear while locked up. I'm pretty sure it's the way the VB is setup because I had Dave build me one that locks in all forward gears. But if I come to a stop with the switch on it doesn't unlock, that's for sure
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...Once mine is locked up with the lockup switch, it doesn't come out no matter what. Even coming to a stop... Paul
Same here... and won't downshift either!

RJ
Old 03-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by signature600
Yes, relay came up missing.

Tim is thinking it's something screwy with the TPS, and a 98 12v I'm working with him on some other tweaks to my tranny, so one way or another, we'll get it straightened out!

I'm sure it's something simple that my limited Auto knowledge is amplifying

Chris
Awww.... I see the problem now! You're missing 12 valves!

I know old joke...

Hooking up a pressure gauge should tell you pretty quick on whats going on. When you throw your lockup switch, the governor pressure should go all the way up, and it should stay up as long as it's locked up. If the pressure is up, and your torque converter comes unlocked, then it's probably a problem in the valve body. If the pressure drops and it comes unlocked, while the switch is still on, then it most likely is a electrical problem, such as a governor pressure solenoid, or governor pressure transducer.

Paul
Old 03-01-2007, 12:40 PM

Awww.... I see the problem now! You're missing 12 valves!

I know old joke...

Hooking up a pressure gauge should tell you pretty quick on whats going on. When you throw your lockup switch, the governor pressure should go all the way up, and it should stay up as long as it's locked up. If the pressure is up, and your torque converter comes unlocked, then it's probably a problem in the valve body. If the pressure drops and it comes unlocked, while the switch is still on, then it most likely is a electrical problem, such as a governor pressure solenoid, or governor pressure transducer.

Paul
I'll take tranny issues over junk VP's, no RPM, and junk valvetrain anyday!

Actually, I need to drive it tonight and narrow down the problems for Tim...it might be a PCM problem!

Thanks for the tip, though!!
Chris
Old 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Do you have the relay removed and jumped? And yes you can hook up a switch to force it into overdrive early.

Once mine is locked up with the lockup switch, it doesn't come out no matter what. Even when coming to a stop...

Paul

Same set-up as Paul in my truck. Once locked it stays locked until I close the tc clutch switch and the OD switch.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:43 AM

Well, we've figured out I got lucky again. I guess some PCM's will downshift even locked up, while under 1800RPM. I got one. I never noticed it not unlocking after 1800RPM because of the 35's. At 1800+ I'm over 80mph, and I rarely run that fast

So I'll just be wiring a switch for forcing 4th gear, and use it when dynoing...that's really the only time I care about lugging 4th gear

Chris
Old 09-13-2009, 12:36 PM

so how do you wirre up the od switch?
Old 09-13-2009, 01:53 PM

See this page .... on TST's website!

RJ
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM

I need the diagram to jump the overdrive...
Old 09-13-2009, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by ckt_santiago
Well, my truck is currently running without a PCM. So, I have BOTH my lock-up and OD on toggles... I love it cause I can shift outa OD when I'm going 50 behind ol' granny, build a lil boost and about the time I'm pulling out around i flick in OD and my truck just launches like a monster (Rather than slowly coming alive as the turbo first lags then slowly builds some boost). It's pretty simple though; just two wires that you have to splice into and take to ground individually.

As far as the downshift your DTT VB probably has the passages drilled out so it can lock up in 2nd and will downshift if you mash it... I like the way the trans-go kit makes my tranny semi manual as it will hold any gear unless I slam on the brakes or pull it down with the selector
What wire(s) do you need to splice to run a OD switch?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:50 PM

thats for converter switch i need to put overdrive on a switch, my trans temp light is on and it won't shift
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 AM

Is there any benefit to wiring up this switch on a non upgraded tranny? I did mine yesterday and nothing seems different on or off
Old 09-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Several years ago I installed a 3-position switch in my '98 to manually control both the OD & lockup solenoids... made driving the truck much nicer (just switched both circuits to ground IIRC).
Old 10-04-2009, 09:39 PM

So is there a diagram on the od switch mod? I have the tc mod and I love it.

Quick Reply: 4th/OD Switch??