Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

370's ? whats needed for less smoke?delivery valves?

Old 08-25-2003, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
370's ? whats needed for less smoke?delivery valves?

topic pretty much says it, I m going to 370's and want to do it right the first time.....

best plate?
4000 gov spring kit?
delivery valves?

opinions please.....
Old 08-25-2003, 05:12 PM

Re:370's ? whats needed for less smoke?delivery valves?

if you get all of that your going to have some pretty good HP : I got most of that ex for the DV's which are going to be here in a month or so. I have a #10 plate and if you have a 215hp pump you might want to add a hx-40 or other turbo of your choice to that list.
DM01
Old 08-25-2003, 05:20 PM

yea, a turbo is in the works.....probably be a hybred not sure what though....the turbo guy I sorta know and I think he may want to try something new.

I m just alittle worried about the smoke? Yes I have a 215 pump 98 5 speed....

is there any install washers needed for the injectors?

exhuast ill be redone at the same time as the turbo since I m pretty sure the down pipe is gonna be different.....thinking of trying to squeeze a 5 inch in there then spit to two 3 " pipes (I m thinking cheaper and possiblly eliminate drone all together.......)

Old 08-25-2003, 05:25 PM

[quote author=1320 link=board=7;threadid=18831;start=0#msg176585 date=1061850008]
yea, a turbo is in the works.....probably be a hybred not sure what though....the turbo guy I sorta know and I think he may want to try something new.

I m just alittle worried about the smoke? Yes I have a 215 pump 98 5 speed....

is there any install washers needed for the injectors?

exhuast ill be redone at the same time as the turbo since I m pretty sure the down pipe is gonna be different.....thinking of trying to squeeze a 5 inch in there then spit to two 3 " pipes (I m thinking cheaper and possiblly eliminate drone all together.......)

[/quote]
when you buy the new injectors get the install kit its only 25 bucks or so and it comes with all the stuff you need.
DM01
P/S I have the PDR 370's and like them better than a different set of 37o's I had
Old 08-26-2003, 10:02 AM

Sounds like you're already on the right track. With the big injectors you'll want more air flow. The delivery valves in your 215hp pump will be big enough, I'm still running the stockers in my 180hp pump (smaller than what you have).
Bigger DVs will just dump in more fuel, hence more smoke (& heat to deal with).

I chose the 3K GSK because I didn't want to HAVE to change the valve springs. Also just don't feel really comfy about exceeding the factory red line on the tach. Maybe that's silly, but there's a really heavy reciprocating assembly in there that hasn't been built with race-grade hardware, polished, shot-peened, or dynamically balanced. The 3K really makes a big difference in throttle response. A word of caution- the instructions you get are a little sketchy. Either talk to someone who has installed them a couple of times, or call your vendor (TST or Piers) for assistance. Tedious but pretty easy to go in through the top of the pump (where fuel plate sits). A strong magnetic retiever is a must.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:11 AM

BTW, the plate cut you choose is going to depend on many factors- Going to tow anything? How Heavy? Just what air intake are you planning? The final configuration/ability of your turbo setup. I assume you're going for near full-tilt hotrodding (otherwise you'd go with smaller injectors), but just how much acceleration do you want? How much smoke can you stand? Do you have an automatic or standard? With what modifications?

You get the idea.

In my automatic truck, the #6 works well as a good all-around compromise. I hope to go to twins before too long. Then I have a set of laser-cut delivery valves to put in. I'll probably also go to a #4 plate. ;D
Old 08-26-2003, 10:23 AM

Ok, I feel like I'm rambling a bit here, but...

If you stay with the HX35 (turbine side, anyway) consider a 14cm2 quick spool wastegated housing. Won't loose much response, but will benefit from less restriction (hence lower EGTs). Also consider the Banks Power Elbow. Best transition from turbo to downpipe (true 4" DP) that I have seen. Otherwise go to a tricked-out HX40.

I'd just go with the 4" exhaust and not worry about it. It should be good up to about 500hp. As for drone, just use a good performance muffler.

If you just love the way duals look, use a nice long wye and don't make sharp bends right after it.

Hope that helps a bit.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:13 PM

The neat thing about the #10 plate..its very tuneable. Just moving the plate back 10-20k from stock will make a difference in the EGT's.
The 370's are in my future. Not sure which way I will go with the turbo yet. There is a 14cm housing on my turbo now. I may even go with the 16cm housing when the 370's go in.
I have a 3k GSK on order from Rod. This is the first step then the 10 plate, then the injectors..May need to slip the housing in after the plate to keep things cool.
Doing this in stages so that I can get one BOMB tuned before I add another one. Its a pain to tune multi BOMB's @ the same time to get it working correctly.

Rick
Old 08-26-2003, 08:17 PM

I'm runnin a #4 plate.
As of now I still have stock 215 injectors.
I'm going to 370's soon, but I'm going to do a little turbo work first.
Check out my sig. and you'll see a little more about mine.
I work my truck every day hauling equip. and cattle ect.
You can control the temps alot with your right foot.
Don't get me wrong I can heat it up if I want to.
But my #4 is full forward.
The statement earlier about the gov. springs is true.
You can do it if you are a pretty good mech.
Just have a couple of good magnets and a good caliper to measure with.
I chose to go through the side of the pump.
Thats the way I've always done them and I have done several.

Good Luck and have FUN !

: Eddie : 8)