3" levelingblocks and lower control arms - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

3" levelingblocks and lower control arms

Old 12-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #1  

3" levelingblocks and lower control arms

I want to raise front end of my 1995 Ram 4x4, and use 3" spacer blocks on top of springs. I've been told I need to use adjustable lower control arms to center axle. Is this true? It doesn't seem to be enough to move axle back. What have others done?
rootercycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:28 AM   #2  

It will move it back and over as well. I know on my 01 I drove over 200k without adjustable or longer arms or an adjustable track bar and it showed no ill effects on handling or tire wear.
When I did finally get around to replacing the arms and trac bar after that long I felt no discernible difference in handing or again in tire wear.
I did not run large oversize tires just the 285/75/16 and had no issues. However at some point in size you might very well run into the issue of needing longer ones so that your tires will fit.
BarryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #3  

I have used 2 inch spacers on several 2nd gens without doing anything to the lower arms.
They worked fine for a couple hundred thousand miles on at least two Dodge 2500s.

At some point having more tire clearance at the rear of the wheel well might be a reason to install those lower arms. That would depend on the tire size and rim width and backspace you choose.
oliver foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:27 PM   #4  

I plan on running the stock steel 16" rims with 255/85/16. The tires will be tall, but narrower than what most guys run these days
Old 12-03-2017, 05:15 PM   #5  

Get some Thuren soft ride coils and longer shocks which you'll need anyway.
His 2" 3rd gen coils yield 2.75" on a 2nd gen.
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pr...nce-coils.html
Danderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 04:59 AM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danderson View Post
Get some Thuren soft ride coils and longer shocks which you'll need anyway.
His 2" 3rd gen coils yield 2.75" on a 2nd gen.
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/pr...nce-coils.html
bit spendy for just coils. I can't imagine the ride and performance are noticeably different from stock coils under a spacer.