Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

22.5's or 19.5's

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 04:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by G-NOTE
The ride is nice w/ 19.5's and you can balance the tires too, Plus I can get the tires for $112 a piece ( KUHMO ), brand new!!!

So you can see where I torn between two worlds, all the look or all the function...
Sounds like you are answering your own question here, I like the sounds of $112 a piece!
Old 08-09-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea, but heres a picture of my last truck...

http://www.tradewood.net/Picture%20019e.jpg

So I have alot to live up to with this DODGE since all my friends are FORD guys, besides this is not my daily driver so why not go all out!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 06:31 PM

You don't have to be over 50 to think that 22.5's are gay. I think HID said it best.
Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
YOu can get tires that are way stronger than the truck needs with 19.5 tires. 22.5's are sort of like buying a garbage truck to take the trash out to the curb. If you get 22.5's be sure to get the spinners for them also. Adds to the scenerio.
Originally posted by blackdiesel02
The calcualtor said that 3:55's will become 2:91's if you change from 16'' tires to 19.5.
Ya'll need to keep doing research. 19.5's are availible in diameters from just under 32" to just over 35". So, ratios will vary. The 225/70R19.5 is about the same diameter as a 235/85R16, so no adjustment is needed.

Let me guess you think I should take the simulators off and spray paint the wheels, lugs, and center hubs w/ a rattle can of black while they're still on the truck, through a set of whips and some truck nuts on it. While It sits parked in front of my very own double wide!!!
Before I purchased my first set of 19.5's, I ran around with just the steel wheels. They are black and look real good. I have added the original centers on my second set of 19.5's. It helps break up all of the black some. I opted not to get the truck nuts. I do not live in a double wide, but what does that matter?

Since my is a tow dolly, I will need to take that into consideration. I know someone who has them on his ford and runs hot shots w/ it loaded down w/ cars, pipes, lumber... All of which on 22.5's, and he has never had a problem with his wheels.

Not to mention he got 94k out of his MICHELIN tires!!!
If he only got 94,000 miles out of them, then he either can't drive very well, or he has some problems.

From what I am reading here, maybe you should just get some of those gold spokes or the spinners that HID mentioned. They would work well for the look you seem to like.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:37 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Mkubacak, how do you figure 94K is not outstanding?

On Edit: Almost sounds like you took offense to his post about the black spray paint, I see you have that look happening?
Old 08-09-2005, 06:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got 4:10's , the guy before me hauled 5th wheel travel trailers...

As for the wheels, he's a close friend I don't think he'll let them go for that cheap to someone else, but I will probibly list them here for him...

Here's his truck... http://www.chromewheel.com/PIX/95dodge.htm
sweet. are they 19.5's or 22.5's? do the tires come with em? if i would buy them i wouldnt want them tires. PM me a price for the adaptors and the wheels.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:54 AM

They are black and look real good
Yee Haw, they look real good PAW pass me some chew!

Don't knock someone else opinion just because you don't agree, and by the way I 've done all my reserch I just have'nt decided.

I thouht I would post so you guys would help me decide, not to bash or critisize other peoples prefrences.

And by the way don't tell me about customs I have built custom bikes, boats, cars and trucks, just never a DCTD, just becuase you put some 19.5's on your rig that does'nt make you CHIP FOOSE or BOYD COTTINGTON!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, opinions will tell you that a 22.5 or 24.5 looks gay on a CTD. A 19.5-20" wheel is the largest that looks good.

However, FACTS will tell you that it's a bad idea. The HUGE weight of the large commercial wheels and tires is FAR beyond what your Dodge is rated to handle. The weight capacity of the commercial tires is FAR beyond what your Dodge's frame and structure are designed to handle.

The nice part of running the ugly oversized tires and wheels is that you get to enjoy a harsh ride and poor handling as you ruin your truck's bearings, ball joints, and suspension.

What's not to like?
Old 08-10-2005, 09:53 AM

Yee Haw, they look real good PAW pass me some chew!

Don't knock someone else opinion just because you don't agree, and by the way I 've done all my reserch I just have'nt decided.

I thouht I would post so you guys would help me decide, not to bash or critisize other peoples prefrences.

And by the way don't tell me about customs I have built custom bikes, boats, cars and trucks, just never a DCTD, just becuase you put some 19.5's on your rig that does'nt make you CHIP FOOSE or BOYD COTTINGTON!!!
I never said anything about customs.

Pardon me for saying so, but I do not need to get on a forum and ask a bunch of guys what will or will not look good. I do it my way and if no one likes it, I do not care. You can do your truck your way, but if you do not like criticism, keep your ideas to your self. My self esteem is fine how is yours? I post on this board to ask questions of a technical nature and to seek others experience with products they have used. I will give assistance if I think I can. Other than that, I do not need to ask others if they like the new widget I want to add to my vehicle.

I never said anything about the modifications I have made to my vehicle giving me the right to call myself anything or anyone that I am not. Read the post again and see if you can comprehend the English language.

Hohn,

I agree that 19.5's are overkill for the stock Dodge components. Each wheel and tire combo weighs 140 lbs. I put my first set of 19.5's on at 55,000 miles when the factory Goodyears wore out. I have had two alignments since then and no component failures as of today. I have 159,000 miles now on the original track bar, ball joints, etc. The ride is not as smooth as stock, but I do not expect it to ride like an IFS pickup or even a car. As always, individual experiences and opinions may vary.

P.J.,

For a set of 19.5's or 22.5's I would say in my limited experience and from what have read and heard, that 94,000 miles is poor. My first set of 19.5's I had General LMT 400 in 225/70R19.5 size. I had 89,000 miles with about 25% of the tread left when one of the tires developed a large bubble on the sidewall on the inside of one of the inside rear tires. I am real hard on tires and I thought that was poor mileage for a set of these tires. I am hoping to ge well over 125,000 miles out of this set.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:59 AM

I've considered the 19.5s myself. But the 22.5 and 24.5 are simply out of the question for the reasons I outlined above.
Old 08-10-2005, 10:00 AM

Oh, for a pic of sweet 19.5s, see TDR member EricBu12's rig!
Old 08-10-2005, 10:24 AM

Boy I stirred up the hornets nest w/ all the old REDNECKS...

My self esteem is great, I just like the debate of these forums...

But just like My original Signature said:

Arguing on the net is like the special olympics, even if you win your still a r%t*rd!!!
Old 08-10-2005, 11:22 AM

Originally posted by HOHN
Oh, for a pic of sweet 19.5s, see TDR member EricBu12's rig!
If I had a 3/4 ton and I wanted 19.5's, those are the ones I would get.

You forgot to mention the pictures are on the other forum.

Boy I stirred up the hornets nest w/ all the old REDNECKS...

My self esteem is great, I just like the debate of these forums...

But just like My original Signature said:

Arguing on the net is like the special olympics, even if you win your still a retard!!!
First, I am not old nor am I a redneck.

Second, I believe it has been brought up before, do not use that term. Many people with friends or relatives that have conditions/diseases find that term very offensive.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:41 PM

Sorry if I offended anyone. I am old.... I am not a redneck.... I am not retarded, but my nephew is. I have some close friends that live in single wide trailers, you may consider them "trailer trash" but I consider them friends. Matter of fact, I guess you might consider my daughter trailer trash. I also lived in Deer Park for a couple of years and am fully aware of the Houston area feelings for Alabama Rednecks. If I remember right there were quite a few trailers in Texas also, we don't get them all. I sure do wish that you would stop sending Armadillo's up here, though.

19.5 wheels are a good and logical upgrade for a stronger tire and you can size them to near stock specs, at least the same as I run with the 16 wheels. The last set of Michelin XPS gave me 135,000 miles on the 16 inch wheels.

My opinion.... I am allowed to have one on any board. 22.5 tires and wheels are too big and heavy for a one ton or 3/4 ton vehicle. They look out of place with the smaller wheel openings. The running gear is not designed for that much unsprung weight. Traction is also a problem when you use a tire that is over strength for the weight on it. The radial does not get to flex as designed. You get a lot of bad wear characteristics with too light a load that causes a small footprint.

With one lease I went the other way and picked up great mileage and wear characteristics by going to 19.5 on the heavy truck and trailer. Narrower tire, better mileage on fuel, and just as good mileage on the rubber.

As to spray paint, I was thinking more of "if it don't go, chrome it" My comment of the garbage truck had no thought of the trash truck, just the overkill.

You asked for opinions, I gave mine. Really I don't care what you run. We have members from all walks of life on this board, we all get along just fine so long as we stay away from Donkeys and Elephants. There was no thought in my mind to demean you, I would appreciate the same from you.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:26 AM

No problem, I appoligize for bashing we're all the same....

We all like DODGE's so no point in arguing, plus you guys brought up some valid points. I just did'nt want to hear them...

Hope there's no hard feelings!!!
Old 08-11-2005, 02:06 PM