Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

22.5 rims and lift

Old 12-26-2005, 08:53 AM
The Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the main reason for the larger tires is to reduce your engine's rpm? I would go with a lower ratio gears for your diffs or go with an overdrive system. My reason, how can you tow a gooseneck with a truck that tall. I pull a fifth wheel, any more lift on my truck, I would have to do a lift on my trailer. Yes do able, but it wouldn't like corners at any speed. What are you planning on putting on the trailer? Have you looked at an overdrive gear system? There is a few out there for our trucks
Old 12-26-2005, 11:49 AM

Smile I have 22.5's

I have 22.5's on two trucks , ones a single rear wheel and the other a duelly ... The only way I would recomend thats set up is if the truck is a toy to you ... For every day use I could not justify that ... You can have the single wheel alcoa's cut to a 22 as I did with the one truck ...that was so I could run a more all year tire ...I put toyos 325 /22 on the one 700 bucks a tire ...
On the duelly I have tractor tire's ...its like 12ply I got stuck in the grass while it was raining ... had to put the thing 4 wheel drive to even move .
Both trucks had so much rolling mass I had to up grade to art brake's and calipers
They look great , but I would never do that again...

Just my 2cents

Greg
Old 12-26-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Greguw
I have 22.5's on two trucks , ones a single rear wheel and the other a duelly ... The only way I would recomend thats set up is if the truck is a toy to you ... For every day use I could not justify that ... You can have the single wheel alcoa's cut to a 22 as I did with the one truck ...that was so I could run a more all year tire ...I put toyos 325 /22 on the one 700 bucks a tire ...
On the duelly I have tractor tire's ...its like 12ply I got stuck in the grass while it was raining ... had to put the thing 4 wheel drive to even move .
Both trucks had so much rolling mass I had to up grade to art brake's and calipers

Just my 2cents

Greg
Ive gotta get some pics of the single wheel please!!!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Greguw

Just my 2cents

Greg

I've got to agree with Greg on this one, I'm running 19.5" Alcoa's on my 3500 and they add 450lbs. to the wieght of the truck. The increased wieght of the wheel/tire and adapter plate add a tremendous amount of strain on the front suspension (steering especially)and brakes. The 19.5's look great! They fill the wheel well nicely and cut my cruising RPM by 400. They also make the truck ride like crap and something to do with the rear track width and the ridged sidewall of the tires make for some interesting driving on some interstates where the road surface has either been worn or sunken from heavy truck usage. They rear end of the truck will tend to squirm around following the contours of the road, imagine towing a bumper pull trailer when this happens! During fifth wheel hauling it's not as appearent.
If your going to do it I would suggest stopping at 19.5's, at least they are livable and as others have already said the 22.5's look cartoonish on a light truck.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

P.S. I believe my wheel/tire set up set me back $4300 when all was said and done.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nauitque21
22.5s are sweet!!! you can't deny that. you know that when you are driving next to a tractor trailer that you wish that your truck could be like that. are they practical?.... maybe not but what is the need for any modifications, you just want to make things better and more appealing to you. i know that other than giving you a longer life tire and a better tire that really they don't do a whole lot.

i feel that if i can make it look good and still be functional that it's a good idea. it wont look like everyone elses CTD. maybe it's shallow but i just like them. they just seem worth the hastle to me. if i have to replace ball joints every once in a while big deal. i can do that.

i think your opinion is valid, they aren't for everyone and for most they aren't worth the hastle. i don't want to drive a big rig for a living but i feel like this is the next best thing and it's still fun.
I love your way of thinkin about it

If no one likes it, then its cool. I hate to say, but i DONT like the idea of 22.5's they are just way to large and kinda goofy lookin, And i think the cons outweigh the pros by far for that matter. Unless u do tons of highway travel, then i dont see the need for them. Do i wish my truck looked like a big rig? nope, same reason i dont have stacks either, If i want a big rig, ill drive one, simple. But my main concern would be the wear on the driveline, the axle ration ull wind up with, and the strain ull put on the motor just to get those big wheels going.

i got discouraged from them, Someone not to long ago put a chevy gasser on here with 22.5 inch rims, a mexican special i think, it looked horrendous... it wasnt even a 4wd.. but hey to each his own

Im sure u can make them look nice. I dont like anything above a 16 inch rim for any truck, but thats just me...

Tx
Old 12-26-2005, 10:29 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 1trick4u
Where can I get the adaptors and wheels????I just got a set of brand new 22.5 tires CHEAP.TIA

I think just the adapters are in the range of like $1,200. Rims are probably about the same, $400 + a piece.

Not cheap.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 PM

Smile Re: 22.5's

I am the guy thats converting to the dodge side ...LOL .. the 2wd dodge I just bought and did some work on ...it's now a great truck .
I am a retired wrech ...I have built and worked on just about every type of machine and truck and car ...
The trucks that have the 22.5's are ford ...so you might not want a pic...LOL ... I will say I was going to do a ketlman airride on the one ... til I discovered how big of a piece of crap my fords were ...I will say they have a very strong frame ... the bodys are rot buckets ... the 7.3 was not to bad of a motor compaired to the 6.0 ...LOL
But if your going with the larger wheels you also may end up with a condition of revese bounce... your tires , wheels and adapters will weight close to or more that 2000lbs ... you can fix that with limmit straps ... your frame may take a beating .
Like I said they look cool ... but are not very practical for every day use .

Greg
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 AM

who's put 22.5 on their 2500 4x4? any pic's?
Old 02-09-2019, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by nauitque21
22.5s are sweet!!! you can't deny that. you know that when you are driving next to a tractor trailer that you wish that your truck could be like that. are they practical?.... maybe not but what is the need for any modifications, you just want to make things better and more appealing to you. i know that other than giving you a longer life tire and a better tire that really they don't do a whole lot.

i feel that if i can make it look good and still be functional that it's a good idea. it wont look like everyone elses CTD. maybe it's shallow but i just like them. they just seem worth the hastle to me. if i have to replace ball joints every once in a while big deal. i can do that.

i think your opinion is valid, they aren't for everyone and for most they aren't worth the hastle. i don't want to drive a big rig for a living but i feel like this is the next best thing and it's still fun.
I have a 2011 dodge ram 3500 dually I was thinking about these wheels and if they would look nice? I have a 5" lift with a level kit on top of that on the front.. Will this tires fit I'm currently running 17s on 37s
Old 05-17-2019, 12:23 AM

I’ve got 24.5 inch Alcoa’s. I’ve been wanting to throw them on the back of my single cab 99 dually for a long time as a cartoon joke rat truck. It has no bed for now as I took the flatbed off.

You guys that have put the 22’s on need to post some photos.