Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

22.5 rims and lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22.5 rims and lift

i was looking on the chrome wheel web site at thier big wheel set up for duallys. i like the 22.5" rims with the 255/70/22.5 tires.
i was wondering is any one was running this setup and what size lift they needed.
thanks

-Bryan
Old 05-04-2005, 10:58 PM

there is a ford in town with that set up but don't know how much lift. If you e-mail chrome wheel tell them what you want and your truck they will tell you.the 8 to 10 lug plate is a $1000.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:27 PM

That tire comes out to an actual 36-37" tall. Thats a huge tire, and you would probably be looking at a 4"+ lift at minimum. Look around to see what guys running 36" tires are running for lift.

You might want to consider a 19.5" wheel. With the tire options, it would put you in a more realistic size for street use. Then again, I don't know what you are planning to do with the truck, so its hard for me to say. I'm just going by what I have read on here, and it seems the 19.5" wheels are more common and more widely suggested.

Jim
Old 05-06-2005, 12:59 PM

thanks for the info guys.
sorry for not expalining myself more. i'm planning on doing some hauling with it from a gooseneck (10,000# 10 or so times a year).

i've got 4:10 gears and i would really like the ratio that the 36" tires puts me @. i know guys on this site are running 35's w/ just a leveling kit. i would think that i would run 36's w/ new 1/2 longer CAs, a leveling kit and maybe a 1" body. that way i don't mess w/ my u-joint geometry and still have a factory ride.

that's just what i was thining but i wanted to hear from someone with real world experience to be sure.
plus i like the fact that i'll ba getting 200k out of those tires!!!! and they look sweet!
i had a hard time also finding pictures of this set up. if anyone has a link other than the Chromewheels web site i would really appreciate it.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:56 PM

i had 22.5 on my rig very $ plus you need a conversion for 8 to 10 lug. would be a lot cheeper to go with 19.5 they bolt right on (cheaper) and you can get tires that will last 200k. You won't see a big difference and i think it would look a lot better because you are only putting 36's on(tire to rim ratio)

TOM
Old 05-07-2005, 05:46 PM

from the two sites it seemed to me that there is only a couple hundred dollar difference in the two pacages (between 22.5s and 19.5s)
what do you guys think about lifts with the 22.5s and 36" tires? would i be able to do it with a leveling kit if 35s clear?
what are some prices from you guys that have done both of these mods???
Old 05-07-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Why are you considering 22.5s?

In addition to looking funny, they don't give you anything you can't get for less. If you want a 36" tire, try the Ricksons if that's what you want.

There's a REASON that 19.5s are only on F450s and bigger. There's no need for them on a light truck.

Tires are a wear item. In your haste for bulletproof tires, you will probably destroy the ride quality, and also make life much tougher for the front end (ball joints, etc) and all those parts that have to absorb the shock of the rigid tire carcasses.

Now add in the incredible increase in unsprung weight.

I honestly can't believe that anyone would consider for a SECOND the use of these wheels and these adapters to make them work.

BIG mistake, imo.

JLH
Old 05-07-2005, 09:29 PM

22.5s are sweet!!! you can't deny that. you know that when you are driving next to a tractor trailer that you wish that your truck could be like that. are they practical?.... maybe not but what is the need for any modifications, you just want to make things better and more appealing to you. i know that other than giving you a longer life tire and a better tire that really they don't do a whole lot.

i feel that if i can make it look good and still be functional that it's a good idea. it wont look like everyone elses CTD. maybe it's shallow but i just like them. they just seem worth the hastle to me. if i have to replace ball joints every once in a while big deal. i can do that.

i think your opinion is valid, they aren't for everyone and for most they aren't worth the hastle. i don't want to drive a big rig for a living but i feel like this is the next best thing and it's still fun.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HOHN
Why are you considering 22.5s?

In addition to looking funny, they don't give you anything you can't get for less. If you want a 36" tire, try the Ricksons if that's what you want.

There's a REASON that 19.5s are only on F450s and bigger. There's no need for them on a light truck.

Tires are a wear item. In your haste for bulletproof tires, you will probably destroy the ride quality, and also make life much tougher for the front end (ball joints, etc) and all those parts that have to absorb the shock of the rigid tire carcasses.

Now add in the incredible increase in unsprung weight.

I honestly can't believe that anyone would consider for a SECOND the use of these wheels and these adapters to make them work.

BIG mistake, imo.

JLH
You are correct sir. I have 19.5" wheels and tires and I feel that they are marginally acceptable for this truck. My steel wheels and tires together weigh 140 lbs each. I do not remember what the stock assembly weighs, but it is probably close to 60% of that. I can not imagine what a set of 22.5" wheels and tires weigh. Even if they are aluminum, you still have that large steel adapter. Will I get a ton more miles out of the 19.5" tires? Yes. I got nearly double with my first set of tires that I got out of the OEM Goodyears. Nauitque21 may think the 22.5's look good, but I disagree. They look cartoonish to me. But, each to his own.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:13 AM

Guys Believe it or not, there a guy in Calgary who put 22.5" wheels with 255 tires on an 03 4x4 dually WITHOUT A LIFT. He gets minimal rubbing in the front on full lock.

I wouldn't have believed it until I saw it with my own eyes. Took the truck for a ride and it was a lot smoother than I expected.

I'm not convinced it's a good idea but it looks pretty good

not sure If you can fit these wheels without a lift on a second gen though
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
22.5's are cool, it's a matter of what you like. It is like anythng else, you can't just get away with one mod. Larger diameter spinning mass = need for bigger brakes (up front at least I would think). Bigger the better, if you can fit em', roll with em!
Old 08-19-2005, 02:14 PM

2002 Ram 2500 4x4 & 35" wheels

I once installed 315/75R16 tires on my stock rims which together had a 35" diameter, 11" wide tread. These tires cleared fine without any suspension lift. I did trim the small piece of sheet metal from the front fender for extra clearance. Tires never touched fender when I jumped it, turning or straight. I once looked at my truck side by side to a 99 Ram 2500 4x4, same model & tires. The 2002 does have an extra inch of suspension lift.

If I went to a 37" wheel, a 2" lift should be all I need since 35" worked fine.

I have a 4.10 Dana 80 diff, calculating the area of a circle as the tire, a 37" wheel would have the same final drive ratio as a 265/75R16 tire with a 3.55 diff, or either setup would have the same number of driveshaft rotations, a 265 tire w/3.55 diff vs. a 37" tire w/4.10 diff. Looking to get the better economy plus lower tire wear.

Who are the 22.5" wheel makers now for 8 lug hubs?
Old 08-19-2005, 03:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOOK HERE!!!

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=74759

Guys we've had this conversation before, I just got my setup from a friend, Peterbuilt 22.5's and adaptors. So I'm in the market for tires now. I have a 2-1/2" daystar spacer in my truck (2WD), but if you want to clear these (255/70r22.5's) which are 36.5" tall on a 4x4 all you need are spring spacers me on the other hand If your 2WD you need a body lift or HD coils w/ arms and blocks...

Here's my thread on 22.5" tires if you want something a little smaller

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=75584
Old 08-19-2005, 06:20 PM

Talking To lift or not to lift

If my 02 Ram 2500 4x4 can handle 35" tires without a lift, even when jumping it, then a 37" should not need more than a 2" lift kit. Keep in mind the tread width, the 315/75R16 tire is a 35" tire and has a 11.5" tread width! These commercial tires will likely be alot less than that, which means it won't rub on the rear support arm like these 35" tires do because of the extra wide tire width. My fuel economy would also improve and tires won't wear out so fast like they always do.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:38 PM
Banned

Where can I get the adaptors and wheels????I just got a set of brand new 22.5 tires CHEAP.TIA

Quick Reply: 22.5 rims and lift