Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Considerations to adding a Pacbrake?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considerations to adding a Pacbrake?

Will it increase maintenance on my truck, and what parts will it wear out?
I have a mildly upgraded clutch, otherwise stock transmission, stock turbo.
PS pump may be leaking...Pacbrake is a seriously expensive addition, so just wondering how else it will affect my truck
Thanks
Old 07-09-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
An exhaust brake will add no more maintenance to your truck. But it will make towing immensely safer and more enjoyable, especially while coming down long grades. If the trailer is large enough then it can literally shove the truck down hill faster and with more force than the service brakes can maintain.

Exhaust brakes are to be used all the time, not just for towing. So when you have one the service brakes are needed much less therefore they will last much longer. I have over 115k mile on my truck and I just replaced the front pads even though there was over 1/4" of pad material left. Not sure why I changed them either but I have this thing about letting the calipers expand too far out.

The rear brakes are essentially in the same condition as they were when the truck left the factory.

There's other positive reasons but in reality there is no reason better than the added safety it adds when towing.

All that said, a manual transmission will require nothing to work with an exhaust brake, but an automatic will require a lock up switch for the torque converter.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info. Adding the brake is a huge expense but seems well worth it.

Pros and cons of a turbo mount versus inline exhaust? I have a 4" exhaust, no plans to upgrade a turbo. Not sure how much more labor to go inline...but that seems like it would be cleaner install?
Old 07-09-2016, 03:06 PM

The exhaust brakes come with a new outlet flange for the turbo which allows mounting the exhaust brake. They're very easy to install and dont require any modifications other than a couple simple things any one can do. The hardest part is going to be running the wires through the firewall and into the cab, finding a place to mount the master ON/OFF switch.

If you can, get the shifter mounted switch because you'll find yourself turning it on and off quite often and reaching up for a dash switch verses one right there on the shifter.....

You definitely want a turbo mounted version because they work better and faster than the inline versions. Plus the inline versions are more prone to sticking due to the lower exhaust temperatures, and more prone to damage from road debris.

Since you have the stock turbo, your 4" exhaust will mount right up too.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:09 AM

Thanks a bunch, KATOOM, yea I definitely want the shifter mounted switch. The shop sounded kinda overwhelmed about doing it, so of course I'm apprehensive myself. I'll dig deeper.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 AM

If you need any help, just let me know.
Old 07-10-2016, 10:41 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
One consideration on a 12v truck, is make sure you have the 60lb valve springs, if you're going with the standard turbo mount brake. I don't recall any of the early engines having more than 40lb springs. All the 24v stuff had 60lb stock.
If you have the lighter springs. The back pressure can float the exhaust valves and add a whole new level of grief.

Other than that, the hardest part of the installation on a 12v is setting the throttle and clutch micro switches, and wiring them up. Once again, a 24v is easier, but that equates to apples and oranges.

I did an extensive amount of cold weather testing with pacbrake on the 2nd gen trucks. They have a great product, and excellent customer service. Any questions or suggestions were dealt with quickly, and the results were phenomenal.

The prxb brake, which was the next step up from the original vacuum actuated unit, is another excellent product. The actuation allowing for full braking power almost down to idle.

As for functionality. I have an 01 with 303000 km on it. Its been loaded heavy since day 1. I am still on the original brakes and rotors, and given the work it has done, that can be attributed largely to the exhaust brake. I use it all the time. Period. The whoa factor it adds over the stock brakes is great for all around driving, and the hold back on hills saves tremendous amounts of wear and tear, once you get used to driving it.

Good luck
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 AM

My bad..... I apologize as I completely forgot we were discussing a 12 valve. So yes, you need the 60 lb springs. Another reason you wont want to attempt to do this yourself.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:06 AM
DPG

Hey barngal 6, I have a Pacbrake on my '99 24 valve stock turbo you can have for the cost of removal and shipping it to you. It's the vacuum actuated version and is probably 15 years old. I only have 156,000 miles on the truck and the unit hasn't had much use. If it will fit and you are interested let me know and I'll get a price from my mechanic. If you already have one, never mind.
Old 10-01-2016, 01:48 AM

Thanks, DPG, but I got the prxb put on. It required the 60# springs which was a big undertaking. Working well though, very happy with it. Switch on the shifter, I like that.
I'm kinda concerned that the truck has a hot smell, like brakes or clutch! that it didn't use to have. Runs great. i have already upgraded to a south bend clutch and the manufacturer said it should handle the pacbrake,,so not sure what is happening.
Not sure if taking it to a mechanic would be worthwhile at this point...
Old 10-18-2017, 11:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had an e-brake for 9 years and consider it the best $1k spent on the truck. When towing, it is essential. When not, it is very nice to have. I wisely decided to buy an in-line one, so when my turbo went and I upgraded it, I was able to keep the brake. I love it and highly recommend it.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oops, old thread, sorry. Should have looked at the date. Nobody drives second gens anymore, third page and we are back 1 year ago...