Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Boost Gauge and Turbo questions

Old 03-19-2010, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost Gauge and Turbo questions

I need to check boost but don't have a boost gauge...yet.

A few questions.

Where do I connect it? Is there a fitting for one, or do i have to drill and tap one? I looked but didn't see a plug or a connection for hook up.

I'm suspecting the boost isn't what it should be based on the way it's been running. I checked all the tubing connections and they are tight. The fins turn on the turbo but if I remember right when it was new I could give it a spin with my fingers and it would spin for a short time, now it doesn't spin that easy. The shaft doesn't have any play up or down or forward and back.

The truck just doesn't have the get up and go it once had especially nocticable in 4th gear. It used to wind up fast and get going.

Right now I have a crack in the exhaust manifold, one is on it's way to me now and I'll be changing it as soon as it gets here.

105,000 miles, well maintained and not beat on too badly.

Thank you.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:15 AM
Chapter President

Do you allow the turbo to cool down before shutting it off? Your turbo may be "coked up". This happens when the oil in the turbo gets baked when you shut the truck off with the turbo still hot. Just a thought. I have my gauge hooked up in the intake manifold right behind the fuel filter canister on the side of the block. Yes you will need to drill a hole somewhere for your gauge. If you always run with the Smarty on 9, you are gonna want to get some gauges ASAP.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:37 AM

Yes, I usually allow the tubo to cool if I run it hard or I'm towing.

How can I drill and tap a hole in the intake without getting shavings in the intake. I'm not taking it off.

Does it have to be in the intake? Could it be in the elbow closest to the intake?
Old 03-19-2010, 12:52 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Instead of drilling and tapping, just buy a "Boost" bolt. Basicly, you remove one of the intake manifold top bolts behind the airhorn and install the "boost" bolt. Then attach the airtubing for the gauge. Easy as pie!!!
Old 03-19-2010, 12:53 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Oh, when was the last time you replaced your fuel filter? A dirty fuel filter will slow the flow of fuel into the motor, which in turn will not allow the turbo to spool as much, which will limit your voost and power.
Old 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM

Boost bolt sounds like just what I need. Where do I get one? Geno's?

Fuel filter...after loosing an injection pump due to a bad lift pump I installed a fuel pressure gauge and keep an eye on it. It's good.

I'm not sure what the problem is. I was thinking turbo trouble. But today I was out running around and it seems to be working but without a boost gauge I don't know what boost I'm getting. When I get on it I get a nice blast of black smoke but it clears out fast...so that should mean the turbo is spinning up good.

As I said above, I have a crack I my exhaust manifold. I never had one before so I really don't know how that effects things. Could that be the problem, or part of it? The crack in in the center toward the engine about 2" long.

My son in law is picking up his new to him '97 Ford PS tomorrow...after I drive it I'm hoping mine feels good again when I drive it.
Old 03-22-2010, 08:20 PM

Call your local turbo builder and let him go through yours while you have it off when you replace the exhaust manifold. Should be able to fix you up good as new for less than $200 if the shaft is still good.