Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

I just need the basics to start with please..

Old 09-10-2007, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just need the basics to start with please..

I have looked at the Stickys posted and I see a lot of the "How to's"
What I'd like to know is:

What do I need to do first?

Do I install a fuel pressure gauge first? Do I install a programmer first? Do I add a custom intake filter? Do I need a larger exhaust?

My truck is bone stock with 218K. From what records I have it seems to be well maintained. My fuel mileage was 22mpg on highway. It runs, no leaks, so I want no errors............sounds like a basball recap eh???

I also own a Corvette and an Impala SS so I'm used to other forums and when I joined this I did a lot of reading but the more I read, the less I understand.

Is there someone out there that can post 5 positive things I can do to enhance reliability, improve driveability or both without breaking my bank.

I find this forum fascinating that there's not the snobbish attitude I've read on some car forums. I'm hoping to tap into that down to earth brotherhood here and try to get up to speed with the basics. So....is that person out there that can post those 5 things. I realize everyone's top 5 thinsg may be different but at least I can look them over and see what the most common ones are and go from there.

Thanks.........Rob
Old 09-10-2007, 05:17 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Gauges; Fuel pressure, EGT, Tranny temp (if auto), and a boost gauge.
2) Open air filter kit; BHAF or AFE or what ever brand you personally like. (stay away from K&N, tho)
3) Performance exhaust;
4) Mild performance box; Edge Ez or my favorite Quadzilla's new XZT+ box. (also stay away from Banks. Too much money, not enough power)
5) Upgraded towing tranny; Georends, DTT, HTS,
Old 09-10-2007, 06:39 PM

1-Air intake (i like afe personally) again stay away from k&n
2- exhaust 4" should do unless your gonna be over 600 horse in the near future
3- guages FP, egt, boost, trans (or get a box that comes with guages)
4-Performance box/module/programer (depending on what your gonna do with it and how far you want to take this addiction we all seem to have)
Heard good things about quadzilla but havent had a chance to try one yet. if you are thinking of runnin just one get one with fuel timing. Also get either a boost elbow for your turbo or a j-hook depending on which turbo you have.
5- Tranny upgrades cuz with over 200k on the ticker it might be hating you after puttin the power to it. Goerend is a good choice. awesome fast service and unmatched product in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:40 PM

fuel and timing! sorry
Old 09-10-2007, 08:08 PM

Thanks......this shows me some similar things I need.........
Old 09-10-2007, 10:10 PM

I'll tell you what I did in the order I did them
1. Fuel pressure and boost guage. $30
2. 6AN big line kit. $120
3. Stage 2 injectors tips & boost fooler. $260
4. 4inch strait pipe exhaust & Pyro. $380
5. Diablo Power Puck. $225
I also put a Luks Pro Gold clutch in 2months after I bought it.
But now I'm going to upgrade to stage 5s, 120hp box, HX-40turbo & a ceramic 13'' clutch.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:33 AM

For your sake I hope thats a 5 speed because clutches are a lot cheaper then race trannies

1) Silencer ring. Remove tube off the front of the turbo, look inside and find the snap ring, gently pry it out. The result will be more spooling sound. No power, but its free

2) Fuel system. The lift pump helps lubricate the IP so you don't want to be short. Plan on a pusher pump or a line kit.

3) Gauges. Pyro is necessary, fuel pressure, boost, maybe tranny temp are good to have.

4) Box/ programmer. Timing will help with mileage and the fuel maps allow you to use more fuel.

5) Straight pipe. The less restriction the better, and of course more of that sweet cummins tune

The stock air box will support 500 hp, so just get an afe drop in or something. I dyno'd 492 with the stock box and a k&n drop in, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend that filter.