Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Yamaha Grizzly (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/yamaha-grizzly-98918/)

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 04:35 PM

Yamaha Grizzly

Hows it going everyone.

I'm in the neighborhood for a quad and have pretty much narrowed my decision down to a Yamaha 4x4 660 Grizzly. I was just wondering if anyone currently owns one or has any experience with them? What's your opinion on them.

I can get a 2004 right now from my local dealer for a pretty nice price. It's a camo color, has 2k miles on it, everything on it is in great shape and they want $4800 for it. Or if I want to spend a little more money I can get a brand new 06, limited edition w/ a winch included for $6700.

Your thoughts and opinions are more then welcome.

,Nate

apc 04-08-2006 04:38 PM

I would go with the new one. It sounds like Your mind is made up but have You looked at Polaris. I have a 97 Sportsman 500 and nothing stops it. Only time ive stuck it was high centering it. Towed out the buddies I ride with more than once in places the Polaris just eats up.

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 04:45 PM

No i've never realy dug up any info on Polaris's quads. A buddy of mine said he used to own an 02 or an 03. Said it didn't do well w/ water. Mentioned something about the cases not being sealed completly. Whether its fact or not I don't know. The features of the Grizzly realy strike my intrests. I'll be using it alot in the winter months so the 4x4 is a huge plus. That 660 automatic also sounds nice. I just need to decided between used or new. All a matter of how much I want to shell out, I understand you get what you pay for.

getblown5.9 04-08-2006 04:51 PM

i will tell you that you will LOVE the 660 grizzly. we have 2 of them and the neighbor has one. those autos are sweet for trail riding and the fully independent suspension is easy on your body. all ive added to mine is a winch and 27" mudlites and ive only used the winch maybe a dozen times, and thats because im young and dumb and purposely go into the deepest mudholes. just last weekend i had the bike in a hole at the offroad park that multiple jeeps got stuck in and it went thru it with no problem. ill even post a video of it here. as you can see im a big boy (320lbs) and that bike will do 0-55mph with those big tires in a hurry, and it never has a problem getting the tires spinning. ive also used this bike to tow my truck when i blew the clutch out...i pulled my 7600lbs truck around the yard with ease.

http://video.thedieselgarage.com/rec...3BA68F0312.htm

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 05:14 PM

Cool video, you went through that like a knife cutting hot butter.

I guess Yamaha has some kind of a promotion going on for a while, purchase a new quad get a winch tossed in. Hows the power w/ the bigger tires? Can you fell the drag between the mudders and the stock ones?

I work whole sale for a tire company, they sell a brand of ATV tires called Swamp Witches, they look super aggressive, and to top it all off I could walk out the door w/ a set of them for dirt cheap. :)

Thanks for the replies fellas, I appreciate it.

Tiny 04-08-2006 07:27 PM

I have the 01 Grizz 600, and my brother has the 04 Grizz 660. He can outrun me by about 3 mph, but we both go places Polaris get buried. The Polaris is a heavy machine, and does not like hills so much. We have both had our Grizz's in the mud and water, and use the winch to pull the front end up and let the case drain, and no problems. Easily one of the best quads on the market. We both plow snow, pull trailers, run up and down the road, moving trailers, etc. I looked at Suzuki, Kawi's, the Honda Rubicon, and got the Grizz. The new IRS takes some getting used to, but it is a nicer ride. Only had mine buried once, and I was a fool, or it would not have happened. With a winch they are a very versatile machine. We love ours, and I am sure you would too. Good luck with your choice.

BTW we both run 27" tires, I run Mud Lites and he runs Mud Maxes. Still plenty of oomph both in the 600 and the 660. I am going to rejet mine this summer, as we all know stock sux.

getblown5.9 04-08-2006 07:38 PM

with stock tires i could hit 62mph, with the 27's i can only hit 55ish. again i am a big boy and with all my weight on it, it will still haul the mail. and i must say it will rock crawl with the best of them with the independent rear

philobeddo 04-08-2006 08:02 PM

My brother has had 2 grizzly's.I have had a polaris 500 and it was ok but the grizzly is a far better machine.If you can get a good deal on a 04 that hasn't been abused you can't go wrong,these machines are very tough and dependable.I have a RHINO 660 04, it is a stout machine.Just have to hope someone didn't abuse it, if you have the money a new one would be better.A new one has a warranty and you will be the first one to own it so you know it will be taken care of.I'm not knocking Polaris but I owned one and had it in for warranty work before i had 50 hrs on it,as far as atv's you can't beat yamaha, honda.

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 08:03 PM

Awesome. Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

If I get one it will deffinetley have a winch with it. I know i'll get it stuck some how or another.

Im headed back to the dealer this Tuesday to work out some details. Hopefully i'll come home with a new toy.

Question for you all who have a quad. Do you usualy tow yours w/ a small trailer or throw it in the back of your bed? I have a short bed and don't know if it will fit it there. It also dosen't help that I have a 4" lift. My only choice may be to pull a trailer.

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by philobeddo
My brother has had 2 grizzly's.I have had a polaris 500 and it was ok but the grizzly is a far better machine.If you can get a good deal on a 04 that hasn't been abused you can't go wrong,these machines are very tough and dependable.I have a RHINO 660 04, it is a stout machine.Just have to hope someone didn't abuse it, if you have the money a new one would be better.A new one has a warranty and you will be the first one to own it so you know it will be taken care of.I'm not knocking Polaris but I owned one and had it in for warranty work before i had 50 hrs on it,as far as atv's you can't beat yamaha, honda.

Yea I have my aim on a new one. When me and the guy at the dealer were scoping out the 04 I asked him the condition of the engine. He said it was fresh and had a new top end put on it, I asked him why, and he said cause it was used by a farmer who didn't keep up with the maintaince and let the oil run low, scorring the pistons. [eyecrazy]

jthorpe 04-08-2006 08:19 PM

We have one on our search and rescue team and it is great. We beat the heck out of it, and it just keeps going and going. We don't drive them super fast as we transport dogs and equipment to and from deep wooded areas, but they are great. We also have some small trailers that we pull with it, such as generator trailers etc. Our 660 has never missed a beat, and looks really cool with all the reflective markings we put on it :)

Nate-03 D 04-08-2006 08:59 PM

Yea im realy looking for something that can take a beating. From what i've gathered the Grizzly is the next best thing since sliced bread.

btw, Nice looking dog Jack. I have two German Shepards, my male is a dark brown and the female is pure white. Those are the most loyalist dogs i've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Before I forget. Would you happen to have a picture of your Grizzly with all the reflective gear on it?

mooseman 04-08-2006 09:10 PM

You cant go wrong with the grizzly. I bought my 05 in June 04 and have never had any problems with it. The only thing I didn't like about it was the reverse limiter but after some searching I found out how to wire it into the diff lock override button.
The only other machine Ive rode that Ive really liked is my wifes 06 450 Kodiak. It has all the same features as the grizz. just a little smaller.

Mooseman

jthorpe 04-08-2006 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
Yea im realy looking for something that can take a beating. From what i've gathered the Grizzly is the next best thing since sliced bread.

btw, Nice looking dog Jack. I have two German Shepards, my male is a dark brown and the female is pure white. Those are the most loyalist dogs i've ever had the pleasure of owning.

Before I forget. Would you happen to have a picture of your Grizzly with all the reflective gear on it?

Thanks for the compliments on the dog. I will see if I can find a pic of it. If not, then I will go take one the next time I'm down at the station.

blackdiesel 04-08-2006 09:26 PM

we've only had one yamaha and one polaris on the farm, and it was a long time ago . they weren't that great to say it nicely. IMO the honda is the timex of of all 4 wheelers. We have 7 on the place now and we beat the wee out of them on a daly basis and they keep going & going with little to no up keep ;)