Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   Window Tint (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/window-tint-85430/)

wana12v 12-29-2005 08:50 AM

I have 5% all the way around including a big bar on my winshield and the rest of the winshield is 15%. You cant see in the truck at all and I like it. so far besides backing up at night visibility is no problem. I was worried I would get introuble for having the entire winshield, but all my friends cummins have it as well and the police just dont seem to care on trucks.

P.J 12-29-2005 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Herrin821
I was looking on ebay and there are pre-cut kits....Anyone done this themselves? I hate paying for something I can screw up on my own [duhhh] How difficult is it?

I've tinted windows on a few cars& trucks from the rolls of tint. Having them pre-cut would have taken a lot of the non-sense out of it.

We had my wifes last car done professionally, very nice workmanship & materials. If you want a GOOD job, pay someone who does it everyday. I have thought a few times about ordering the die cut ones off of EBay. The main thing that concerns me is that if the film is junk from the get go, you are going to have problems, not just with the install (kinks/creases), but with the final product and longevity.
The guy who does it for a living uses the best film he (and you) can afford, the cheap stuff will have you comming back with compaints and telling your friends how much he stinks.

Gotlift01 12-29-2005 09:42 AM

I have 4% on my truck all the way around. The back windows are so dark you can't see in them with a stinking flash light [whistle] . I also have the visor strip on across my windshield that is a real eye saver!!

Yeah it's kind of a mother backing up when there is no light out, but that's why you roll down the windows!! ;)

Cops around here will bug you occasionally, but every truck or car I have ever owned has been this way and I've never caught any flack for it. I'm sure I will someday but until then [guitar] [guitar] I don't care!!

~Nick

Gotlift01 12-29-2005 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by P.J
I've tinted windows on a few cars& trucks from the rolls of tint. Having them pre-cut would have taken a lot of the non-sense out of it.

We had my wifes last car done professionally, very nice workmanship & materials. If you want a GOOD job, pay someone who does it everyday. I have thought a few times about ordering the die cut ones off of EBay. The main thing that concerns me is that if the film is junk from the get go, you are going to have problems, not just with the install (kinks/creases), but with the final product and longevity.
The guy who does it for a living uses the best film he (and you) can afford, the cheap stuff will have you comming back with compaints and telling your friends how much he stinks.

Yeah most of that tint that you buy is a real cheap quality and doesn't have the UV protectant in it to prevent it from turning purple over time. You can always tell the cheap do it yourself jobs because they all look purple or have a MILLION bubbles in it [laugh]

IMO I would just pay somebody who does it everyday that way if they screw up it's up to them to fix it. That is one thing I am extremely picky about is my tint, I want it to look perfect!!

~Nick

Herrin811 12-29-2005 12:53 PM

Back in the day my wife and I lived in KY...Where no front plate is required and window tint is allowed.....Now that we're back home in IL, she still has no front plate and her windows are black...Both things are illegal in IL, but she's never been stopped or picked out because of it....

I still dont think I'll go limo black, but I'm for sure going to have the front matched....

MARKY MARK 12-29-2005 02:32 PM

Herrin821,
I got some pre-cut tint off Ebay for my side windows but haven't had a chance to put it on yet. I'd also like to know how easy or hard it is to put on.

Mark

JD730 12-29-2005 08:42 PM

The PO had tint professionally installed on the front windows and rear glass.
NJ inspection gave me a hard time about because it wasn't factory and they couldn't pass it.

Herrin811 01-03-2006 04:42 PM

Got the tint done today

$60 for the two fronts at a local stereo shop [guitar]

Looks sick from the outside [whistle] :D

Looking out from the inside, the color doesnt quite match the factory back glass....Has a green shade as opposed to the brownish/gray of factory tint...I may have them do the backs if I dont get used to it...

Weather here sucks, so I'll get pics on a nice day

AggiePhil 01-03-2006 05:50 PM

I just got a new (to me) truck and one of the first things I'm gonna have to do is get the windows tinted. Now I gotta try to find some tint shop who I can talk into doing illegally dark tint on my windows. [laugh]

greenworks 01-03-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
Our little local pd is getting light meters, great. Fat suckers....

I had factory matched tint on my side windows and got stopped and the police who asked me nice and told me why they do not like it, it has to do with not being able to see in the car for saftety reasons. I respect police officers and they have families and kids just like I do, and when I thought about it it made sense so I went home and ripped it off. Don't blame the police for making you take it off blame the sick freaks who shoot cops through the dark tinted windows without them even knowing what hit them [verymad] .

Jason

P.J 01-03-2006 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by greenworks
I had factory matched tint on my side windows and got stopped and the police who asked me nice and told me why they do not like it, it has to do with not being able to see in the car for saftety reasons. I respect police officers and they have families and kids just like I do, and when I thought about it it made sense so I went home and ripped it off. Don't blame the police for making you take it off blame the sick freaks who shoot cops through the dark tined windows without them even knowing what hit them [verymad] .

Jason

Yeah, besides it's too hard for them to racially profile through those dark windows........ [whistle]

Seriously though, they need to go home every night just like the civilians, if a State deems 35% to be the max, thats the law.