Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

why do new Ford Exploders not have gas caps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 08:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
why do new Ford Exploders not have gas caps?

my dodge's AC went out, and we had to rent an Exploder to take to Florida for a week

you do NOT go to florida without AC

anyways, when you open the gas lid, it has a smooth surface, and the gas filler neck has a mating gasket, and there is no gas cap.

how does that work better for emissions?

i thought OBD2 monitored the vapor pressure in the tank, and the evap canister, and threw a code if the gas cap was loose, and venting vapor into the atmosphere?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:00 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That was a good question so I had to look for an article that I saw last year. I just assumed the capless system had gone away but from what you say it hasnt. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22688959/ I still dont have a problem with a gas cap but I dont design cars. Just one more thing to break.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 AM

Just wait the new Chargers are going to run the same system, the fuel door seem to provide a seal and also has a check valve in the neck.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
A little off topic, but, we rented a Toyota car several years ago. I stopped for gas and left the ac running. As soon as the gas cap got turned, the engine would shut itself off. I thought it was a fluke so I tried it several times.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 1-2-3
A little off topic, but, we rented a Toyota car several years ago. I stopped for gas and left the ac running. As soon as the gas cap got turned, the engine would shut itself off. I thought it was a fluke so I tried it several times.
i could see me doing that every time, use the cap to cut the car off

from the MSN link, what idiots do these idiots talk to?
"People just don't like the cap," he said. "Anyone who drives a vehicle hates that."

soccer moms? mall moms?
people who text, eat, and put on makeup while driving?

there's a little girl in my building, she put on all her eye makeup while waiting in line in traffic yesterday, there was a train, then a line into the parking lot.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
mazda has gone to the same system. it is the "new" thing. too many people were complaining cause of check engine lights and finding out it was the cap. they were too retarded to put the cap back on hence causing the light to begin with.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Well if a gas cap is annoying, so is steering. I'm going to start getting into my truck and smashing the gas until I get where I need to be.

Come on people! If you don't like gas caps.... walk everywhere!
Old 07-09-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The next thing they'll do is mandate all gas stations must be full service to make sure everyone gets their gas cap put on correctly (for those of us that still have them) without the driver actually having to touch it. Good for the environment and it creates jobs....a government's dream program.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
The next thing they'll do is mandate all gas stations must be full service to make sure everyone gets their gas cap put on correctly (for those of us that still have them) without the driver actually having to touch it. Good for the environment and it creates jobs....a government's dream program.
in Oregon state, the only place that you can fill your vehicle yourself is at a truck stop and you better be driving a truck. all service stations in Oregon are full service.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AggieJustin
I like your thinking..
Old 07-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
in Oregon state, the only place that you can fill your vehicle yourself is at a truck stop and you better be driving a truck. all service stations in Oregon are full service.
I thought I remember hearing about that. Haven't come across it in my travels, but I also haven't been to Oregon yet. I thought it was also that way somewhere in the Northeast, so I always look around before I hop out to pump gas in the rent car.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 PM

Has America gotten into that big of a rush that we have to do away with gas caps because they are too much of a pain? kinda pathetic. I have way more important things in life to be concerned with than complaining abt an extra 5 seconds I could be saving at the pump
Old 07-09-2010, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by cbrahs
I'm not from around there, so the first time I had to get gas in Portland was a very mutual case of misunderstanding! He didn't understand why I was telling him to step away from my vehicle, and I didn't understand why he continued inviting me to knock his head up against the back window.

He got it all 'splained before I got myself in over my head
Old 07-09-2010, 05:00 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by 04ctd
from the MSN link, what idiots do these idiots talk to?
"People just don't like the cap," he said. "Anyone who drives a vehicle hates that."
Yup, that cracked me up.
Wonder what the difference in price is to mfg a gas cap or mfg the gas tank seal system. Also wonder if it will cause more people to drive off with the nozzle still stuck in the tank.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bark
Yup, that cracked me up.
Wonder what the difference in price is to mfg a gas cap or mfg the gas tank seal system. Also wonder if it will cause more people to drive off with the nozzle still stuck in the tank.
Which brings me to the next thing people hate....can't we figure out a way to not have to put a nozzle into the tank to fill up with gas???

Quick Reply: why do new Ford Exploders not have gas caps?