Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Where is Everyone Breakroom

Old 08-20-2015, 02:15 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 151 Likes on 117 Posts
I dislike high temps coupled with high humidity too. So, if you get wetter inside your clothes than outside and are alone, then - work naked.

You have our permission to take a very long nap. Plus another shower. Put on some nice soothing music. Have some ph00.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2 Saturdays, 2 funerals. Denny last week, Wayne this week. Boss's uncle finally passed Tuesday morning.
And by finally, I mean his body did what his mind has been prepared for.
He was having trouble eating, and by the time he said anything about it, they had to feed him with a tube, surgery was out of the question due to a heart issue. I knew it was near, when they told me he was going into a nursing home. Wayne was the type that if you wanted him dead, stick him in a home, with nothing to do, and not allowed (or able) to take care of himself. Even when he was healthy I doubt he would have lasted 6 months in a home. The day he went into the hospital because he was too weak to get out of bed himself, he was out on his 4-wheeler checking up on everyone and seeing how things were going that morning.

The swelling mostly diminished in my legg, the bruising has wrapped a full circle around my calf. The foot is still swelled and sore.

And yesterday I had a calf back up in the squeeze chute and smash my right thumb and tear a chunk of skin off. Well, peeled it up, I used a pair of the vet's surgical scissors to cut it off. Piece of paper towel for padding, wrapped in surgical tape, got back to branding/ steering calves.

Me and cattle haven't been getting along too well the last couple weeks.

Had a wild calf jump over a half sheet of plywood and squeeze chute to get away. Then jumped up on a gate. Literally. Onto the gate. Armpit high gate, he cleared it, but no, that wasn't good enough. Had to land his back feet on it and kick off to get more height. Really wish we had it on camera.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NE frmhnd

Me and cattle haven't been getting along too well the last couple weeks.

Had a wild calf jump over a half sheet of plywood and squeeze chute to get away. Then jumped up on a gate. Literally. Onto the gate. Armpit high gate, he cleared it, but no, that wasn't good enough. Had to land his back feet on it and kick off to get more height. Really wish we had it on camera.
Brings back the memories. My Grandfather owned a 1500 acre or so place in GA when I was a kid. We were working calves one day when the Preacher stopped by to "help". He was given the vaccine gun. A calf that had been flanked got a rear leg loose and in the process gave the Preacher a good kick in the shin. That resulted in me getting cut with the gun and a trip to the Doc to see if the serum would hurt me, a wild-eyed calf on the loose, and a Preacher hollering at the top of his lungs "OH MY GOODNESS". Granddad was holding onto the squeeze to keep from falling from laughing so hard.

We all agreed that his choice of exclamation just wasn't appropriate when working cattle....
Old 08-21-2015, 06:51 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Good morning everybody. Coffee and ph00 is ready, so come and get it.

Made extra breakfast this morning, so will share it with you. This is my normal first breakfast of the day. It is always fruit and today's offering is typical. It is comprised of chopped up; watermelon, papaya, mango, guava, pear, canteloupe, grapes, prickly pear, pineapple and whatever else is available at that time of the year. We often add custard apple, but they are not in season right now. Enjoy a healthy start to your day.

NE, sure sounds like your luck has run out lately. Better go and find your horseshoe and turn it the right side up.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:12 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Happy Friday all y'all. Those of you grumbling about the heat should pop up to sunny southern Alberta for a visit. 1 week ago today it was 100F. 4 days ago DW and were floating in the pool after dinner. Today it is 36F where I live and about 25 miles west of here in the foothills of the Rockies it is snowing!!! The wind has been howling and the rain has been pouring here since dinner time yesterday.

The daughter of our next door neighbor is getting married in an outdoor wedding in the fields just up the road from us next Saturday (8 days away), this kind of stuff best not happen that day.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
The daughter of our next door neighbor is getting married in an outdoor wedding in the fields just up the road from us next Saturday (8 days away), this kind of stuff best not happen that day.
LOL, Don't worry, there will probably be Tornadoes by then..............

If you don't like the weather, just wait an hour or two, it will change.

( BTW, I'm just kidding, hope it is a beautiful, sunny 70 degree day! )
Old 08-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Seems to me that the strange weather up north just keeps on getting stranger. Our weather is not quite as bad, but lately is also a bit weird. Most mornings are good, but by 3 or 4 p.m. the dark clouds roll in and the thunder and lightening starts. Today I was visiting friends in the next suburb and as we parted around 5 p.m. at their gate there were a few large, extremely cold drops of rain falling. By the time I drove about a mile down the road I had to have the wipers on fast and the road was already starting to flood. Unbelievable how fast the roads can get flooded down here in these hard tropical storms.

About an hour ago was sitting at this computer when I heard a strange crackling sound. Quickly figured out that it was coming from the ceiling fan over my head. The sound changed to a sort of pop and then the stink started!!! The entire room now stinks. My guess is that the motor cooked itself. No flames, but am sure that once I pull it down tomorrow that I will find evidence of fire. It did pop the breaker. Wonder why I feel that a trip to Home Depot is on the cards for tomorrow?

Bed time. May drop by tomorrow and see what mischief some of you have been getting into.
'Nite.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:39 AM

Stan, just remember, they compare today's weather with the average. If today it's 100 out, andthe average is 75, sounds bad. But if that average was made up of two, 100 degree days, two 50 degree days, and a 75 degree day, it doesn't sound so odd now, does it?
Average is only the boring middle between two extremes.
We are done with cattle til October. Hopefully no more ouches.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:07 AM

Good morning from Paradise. The rain has long gone and the morning is lovely. A few clouds, but still a great morning.

Coffee and ph00 is hot and ready to be drank, drinked, gulped, slurped, sipped or whatever you choose to do.

Not looking good for the Monday markets. Would not be surprised to see another black Monday, maybe even exceeding the 1987 Black Monday. Hope nobody here gets hurt too badly.

Trying to find the ambition to go and change the oil and filter on my truck. Maybe another or will help?
Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Happy Saturday all y'all.
Stan, you know very well that electric motors don't work once you let the smoke out!!
I do not enjoy working on ceiling fans. They aren't difficult, just heavy, awkward and annoying. Replacing them always turns into a 2 person job
For those interested in weather, Mother Nature has moved her nasty system elsewhere. It made it down to just about the freezing point last night but now the clouds and rain are gone and it is starting to warm up. Living at this elevation and right where the terrain changes from mountains to high priaries is always interesting.
Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:49 AM

Received 413 Likes on 316 Posts
3 dead from mud slides last Wednesday in Sitka, AK. 5-6" of rain in 24hrs. 2 of the 3 have been recovered, 1 is still missing. More heavy rains moving into the area. We have an aerial survey crew in the area waiting for a break in the weather. We mapped that area last year, so we can show a before and after image of the slide area.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Happy Saturday all y'all.
Stan, you know very well that electric motors don't work once you let the smoke out!!
I do not enjoy working on ceiling fans. They aren't difficult, just heavy, awkward and annoying. Replacing them always turns into a 2 person job
For those interested in weather, Mother Nature has moved her nasty system elsewhere. It made it down to just about the freezing point last night but now the clouds and rain are gone and it is starting to warm up. Living at this elevation and right where the terrain changes from mountains to high priaries is always interesting.
Have a great day everyone.

Have installed quite a few ceiling fans over the years and like you, do not enjoy working on them. In any case, do not enjoy working on top of ladders. This particular fan is mounted on a sloped ceiling about 10 feet high.
I have proven many times that once the factory prepacked smoke is let out of wires, motors and electronics that those parts are history.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:42 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Lots of rain and cool here.
Winds gusting to lift skirt and take hat levels.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty
Lots of rain and cool here.
Winds gusting to lift skirt and take hat levels.

You wear a skirt and a hat at the same time?