Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What are your plans for Retirement now?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm 38, have 19 years with the company, been putting 25% in my 401K the whole time plus the company matches 6%. I have taken a HUGE hit on the 401. I can retire with full benefits in 17 years, but with the economy the way it is, I have taken an expat job in West Africa at nearly quadruple the wages I'm making here and the company pics up most of the taxes. I felt that I had to do this to make up for the money I lost outta my 401 to keep on track with my plans of retiring at 55.
Old 07-10-2009, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
R u gonna full-time it (RVing) or plan to keep your home in Allen? Did your retirement accounts not take a hit that impacted what you thought your income stream would be? I am not trying to get into your personal finances, im just curious how you avoided being impacted by the market crash at least to some degree.

yea, it took a hit but has come back alot, I plan on downsizing in home size probably get a home around Bonham,much better price than Allen and travel for a few years, then if I have to work some after that I will go back.
The best thing we did was get a financial planner several years ago, they help alot
Old 07-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Chapter President

work, work....work, turn 65....work, 70....work.....man found dead laying over pipe with stinger in hand...main concern for the company, "he did'nt even finish the weld before he died now we have to have another welder come in and grind it back out. If we found him dead a sooner before the weld cooled we could have pushed him out of the way and finished it out. Now it's gonna cost us money......"
Old 07-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasCTD
Mike, is this because you want to or because you will have to? Or maybe both?

Most likely both.

MikeyB
Old 07-10-2009, 05:55 PM

I didn't plan to ever retire, but my body seems to have other ideas, joint trouble runs on my moms side of the family, and it has caught up with me. Right now I am on disability, and hate it. Hopefully, I can find a way to get my bad hip fixed, and go back to work, but without Insurance I don't see that happening for a while. I wish I had took after dad, he is 83 and still going strong, and works on the farm every day. I do take after him in one way I hate siting around not doing anything.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:24 PM

at 30, I'm not evening thinking about my retirement... no, not in that way... I took a 25% hit in my 401k with the economic downturn but I've finally changed my fund profiles around that at least it's slightly gaining now... I've been with my current company since Jan 2, 2002 and my plan is to stay with them but you just never know... I hold shares of private stock in the company that have historically brought a very nice return. I KNOW that social security will not be there and I've never included it in my retirement plans.

I'm planning on working as long as I can keep up with the changes in my industry. I figure I have at least 35 more years of working full-time...
Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up Plans

My wife and recently retired from the school system here w/sixty years service combined. They offered us a year salary to bail,so we went for it. The house is almost paid for and Calpers is in decent shape as long as "O" doesn't pull more STIMULOSS idiocy. We're planning a trip up 101 and 1 to Oregon and back down I-5 with stops at Yosemite and Sequoia. Lots of projects at home and the beach is calling. OPEC announced today that they do not expect oil prices to rise to prior highs for five years,so just maybe I can afford to drive the Beast for a few more years. It's going to be a learning experience not awakening at 4:15 am after 28 years.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I didn't go back to read the previous thread, but my current plans are to consult.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Going to work until the day I die.....

MikeyB
I'm with you. I'm one of those folks who would never get out of bed if I didn't have someplace I needed to be. I'll live longer if I keep working.
Old 07-10-2009, 07:19 PM

At 27 years of age I have a good retirement account set up and will have all of my bills paid off in 3 to 4 years. I lost 50% with the down turn, but have gained 40% of that back. I have quit putting into the 401k for now because I do better paying off interest debt then saving at this time. I plan to retire at 55 and start guiding on local lakes and possibly at the coast. The only BIG thing I plan to buy in the next 30 years is Land and build a house. No more NEW anything besides the house and furniture. The house I have now is almost paid off and when I sell it that is my Daughters college fund and the down payment for the new land/house. I also plan to start up a small Electrical business and wire the houses that my Brother and his Brother in-law build. This will be side money and also help with the savings. If I continue to save like I have in the past and pay everything off in 4, I will have a couple Million in the bank by the time I am 55. If that cannot cut it then ........ Greetings, Welcome to WalMart......Get in! Get your Junk! Get the heck out ........
Old 07-10-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wannadiesel
I'm with you. I'm one of those folks who would never get out of bed if I didn't have someplace I needed to be. I'll live longer if I keep working.

Count me in for this plan also...