Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer help , installing driver...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 03:26 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer help , installing driver...

I bought a Map program , and it came with a GPS for my laptop, i got the map program installed no problem , but i can't get the driver to install , every time i plug the GPS into the USB , the note pops up on my screen and says "new hardware found" then i get the add new hardware wizard popped up , and i follow the steps in it , but it can't find the driver, i have gone as far as finding the driver on the CD myself and telling it what folder to look in , but still no go, i tried putting it in a folder on my HD , and since it doesn't recognize the file , i can't go and select that folder.

Does anyone here have any suggestions.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The driver directory should have a *.inf file. See if it's there.

MikeyB
Old 02-15-2006, 03:33 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CD doesn't have a set up?

autorun.exe (or something)?
Old 02-15-2006, 03:44 PM

In order for it to find the .inf file on your hard drive in a different directory, you will have to click on the drop window and pick "all files" and then you can browse where you want to find the driver. You may also want to visit the web site of the software maker and download from their web site the driver you need. Typically the download from their web site will automatically load the driver where it goes as long as you picked "normal" install and let the cd create it's own directory.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:33 PM
JKM

How do i find the driver directory?

the software installed automatically (2 cd's) but for some reason it did not install the driver.

The product is microsft streets and trips , with the GPS , i poked around the site , but i could not find the driver.

I have had this problem before , with my USB transfer cable.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:55 PM

I had a problem like this recently with a friends computer. She was trying to load a medical billing program and it would not load from the CD. For some reason her CD player didn't like the setup exe file. I brought the CD home and loaded the executable folder on my thumb drive and the darn thing installed... go figure. I tested the CD drive with a drive test utility and found nothing wrong with it. It was an odd one.
Old 02-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go to File Manager and right click the little PC at the top, then click "scan for new devices". If it finds it, look at "PROPERITIES", and delete the driver, then reinstall it from the CD location when it ask where to download it from.

I just installed the same software and a GPS, and getting it all to talk was a little tricky.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
I bought a Map program , and it came with a GPS for my laptop, i got the map program installed no problem , but i can't get the driver to install , every time i plug the GPS into the USB , the note pops up on my screen and says "new hardware found" then i get the add new hardware wizard popped up , and i follow the steps in it , but it can't find the driver, i have gone as far as finding the driver on the CD myself and telling it what folder to look in , but still no go, i tried putting it in a folder on my HD , and since it doesn't recognize the file , i can't go and select that folder.

Does anyone here have any suggestions.
Why do you think they call it "Plug-and-Pray"?

Try all the things above and if you still can't get it going post back here and maybe I can help more.

Edwin
Old 02-16-2006, 03:22 PM

Go here http://support.microsoft.com/sandt2005 and click on the one that matches your problem. Follow their instructions and it should help identify either a fix or a new driver. Keep us updated.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:46 PM
JKM

Ok , i have tried the advice given to me thus far (much appreciated BTW guys) And i still do not have a functonal GPS.

I had been trying to do it the way crobtex described , and was having no luck.

I followed the insturctions in staarma's link , and i get as far as where it tells me to click on "have disk" and select the driver from the folder i saved to the desktop, when i do that , and click ok , it says the information in that folder has nothing to do with my "usb device".
Old 02-16-2006, 05:20 PM

Sometimes, I've had success installing reluctant drivers by finding the .inf file on the CD, right-clicking it, and choosing Install from the context menu that pops up.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:40 PM

You may have look at this link already but just in case.

http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;894511

From the KB -

"in the Copy manufacturer's files from box, type the following path of the driver files :
CD_Drive_Letter:\GPSDRVRS\Operating_System\"

This is a long shot, but could you have a USB speed mismatch?

I never installed a GPS before, but I've had issue where the OS didn't recognized the device. I usually uninstall every thing associated to the product and start over. And if there's another PC available, I'll test the install there. That at least isolates where or not it's the PC or the device.

Hope that helps..
Old 02-17-2006, 12:17 AM

Sounds like the device .inf was written wrong.

There are 2 ways to install drivers.

The first way is what others have suggested, which doesn't appear to be working. You can force Windows to install the driver by using the second method.

The second way is to install the driver by telling Windows to select from a spacific location. Then choose "do not search" and you will choose the driver to install. Then select "show all devices" and then select "have disk". Tell Windows to install the driver even if it says the driver won't work.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:31 PM
JKM

I have tried both ways to install the driver, none will work, i have tried right clicking and selecting "install" right from the CD, as well as in the folder i downloaded from microsoft, and neither will work .

I have tried going in and manually choosing the driver by clicking all devices , then have disk , and picked the right driver (both from CD and the downloaded driver) and the message i get says that the files i have selected are not related to the "usb-serial device" that i am trying to install.

Xonid- what is a USB speed mis-match? i have tried this on 3 different computers (2 desktop , one laptop , all running XP (2 have home , one is pro , all with SP2) And this is the 2006 version of the streets and trips software , brand new off of the shelf less than a week ago. The computers are all ACER , and the oldest one is just over a year old.

I should also add that i tried calling the 1 888 number provided by microsoft for "pharos" the maker of the GPS , and the number has been dis-connected.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
Xonid- what is a USB speed mis-match? i have tried this on 3 different computers (2 desktop , one laptop , all running XP (2 have home , one is pro , all with SP2) And this is the 2006 version of the streets and trips software , brand new off of the shelf less than a week ago. The computers are all ACER , and the oldest one is just over a year old.
If the device is USB 2.0 and the ports are 1.1 or vice versa. Normally it doesn't matter since they should auto detect speed and are compatible, but some devices may not be compatible. There are also USB cables that are certified for compatiblity, but I don't usually pay attention to them since it's never cause me any problems.

Your device is probably USB 2.0 and the machines are new enough and should also be USB 2.0. But if the device isn't being recognized on any of the boxes, it may have a bad port. I'm assuming you have tried other cables.

This is a PITA, but I would take it to where you bought it and see if they can install it on one of their machines and if not, get a new one.

Quick Reply: Computer help , installing driver...