Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What's a Kilo Volt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's a Kilo Volt?

Ok, here's the deal; I just bought a volt meter specifically to test my electric fences. (I didn't know if they were working or not, and NO, I'm not gonna just grab onto 'em!) So this new meter comes with no explanations or instructions, tho I kinda figured that the long pointy thing on the end of the wire gets stuffed into the ground, and the short one at the top of the meter gets touched to the electric fence wire. So I do just that, and it tells me I have 1.4 kV.

Whoppee! So NOW all I know that there's something in the wire. I still don't know if that's good or bad, hence the question; What the heck is a Kilo Volt?

And just outta curiosity, is this AC or DC voltage in the electric fence wire?

chaikwa.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1kv == 1000 volts
Old 02-19-2006, 04:08 PM

I think he meant is 1.4 kilo volts normal for an electric fence or low or high or what....
Old 02-19-2006, 04:15 PM

Well, if that was what he was asking ....
then that seems low. Does your energizer have any output specs on the box?

The signals coming out are usually pulse modulated from N kV to ~0V.
Old 02-19-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
My lowest powered charger is 5.5 K.V. rated for 10 miles of fence. Sounds like you may have a little corrosion or somthing shorting out the fence.

My Bigest charger is a old mechanical point type machine. I tested it with the normal tester and blew the tester. NOT going to touch that one.

Ed
Old 02-19-2006, 04:48 PM
JKM

Don't wanna touch it? Just take a leak on it , that should tell ya if it's working or not...

I like the fencers rated for 40 miles of fence , folks, around here , if your cows are 40 miles from the barn , THERE IS A PROBLEM...
Old 02-19-2006, 04:58 PM

think about it,,,if you have a perfect 40 acre square,you have 1 mile of fence........dont be skeered!grab it!...................bama
Old 02-19-2006, 05:06 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With an open circuit, the output should be around 10 - 15 KV (15,000 volts). The less resistance to ground will decrease the voltage, 50 ohm will drop the output to 4 - 5KV.
My guess is that you have a short somewhere. Check for grass, weeds, etc. Sometimes, if you have lots of moisture between the hot and ground, you will lose power output. More so with treated posts since they use a salt solution.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Timmay2
I think he meant is 1.4 kilo volts normal for an electric fence or low or high or what....
Well, yeah. I guess I meant that. But I have no baseline to go from when I don't even know what the reading on the meter means!

Originally Posted by rbuchana
Well, if that was what he was asking ....
then that seems low. Does your energizer have any output specs on the box?
The signals coming out are usually pulse modulated from N kV to ~0V.
No, no output specs on the charger or the box it came in. And I appreciate the reply, I really do. But I have NO idea what 'N kV to ~0V' means!

Originally Posted by sherod
My lowest powered charger is 5.5 K.V. rated for 10 miles of fence. Sounds like you may have a little corrosion or somthing shorting out the fence.
I hope not... everything is new! I checked it this afternoon just to make sure before I started taking meter readings and everything looks good. Nothing touching the wire except air!

Originally Posted by JKM
Don't wanna touch it? Just take a leak on it , that should tell ya if it's working or not... I like the fencers rated for 40 miles of fence , folks, around here , if your cows are 40 miles from the barn , THERE IS A PROBLEM...
I might be just a dumb janitor, but I know what NOT to pee on! YOU come do a 'leak-test' on it! My charger says it's rated for 5 miles of fence, and it's charging MAYBE, a 1/4 mile. 200' X 250', one strand at the top of the fence.

So if I unnerstand all this right, maybe I should get a bigger charger?

Thanks for all the replies!

allchargedupchaikwa.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shortround
Sometimes, if you have lots of moisture between the hot and ground, you will lose power output. More so with treated posts since they use a salt solution.
Hmmm, that brings a thought to mind... the ground wire I have running from the charger to the ground rod is just another piece of fence wire. 14 Gauge aluminum I think. Is that a bad thing?

chaikwa.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:18 PM

No , that charger will still give a pretty good tickle. How is the earth ground? Did you use a seperate rod from the AC power? Doing that will make a really big difference.

Soil moisture is also critical for the charger. I've even seen some areas have to salt the ground rod for proper operation.

Ed
Old 02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sherod
Did you use a seperate rod from the AC power? Doing that will make a really big difference.Soil moisture is also critical for the charger. I've even seen some areas have to salt the ground rod for proper operation.
Ed
Yes, I used a brand new, 8 foot copper rod, driven into the ground right at the post the charger is mounted to. Ground moisture I don't know about. It's all pure blue clay here, so I would *think* there'd be sufficient moisture.

chaikwa.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:29 PM

Maybe you aren't getting a good reading on your meter.
Make sure you have a good ground to the meter.
Old 02-19-2006, 05:32 PM

I'd say you are good to go. Is this a solar charger with backup battery or a straight AC powered unit. If it is solar, it's kickin. I've had several of them. Just watch for internal corrosion on the backup batteries.

Just invite some folks over who don't know about chargers. At least ONE of them will try it out.

Ed
Old 02-19-2006, 05:38 PM

Funny clip:

http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/oa/SIG=11oq0g...electricf1.mpg

Quick Reply: What's a Kilo Volt?