Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Welcome to Fall Breakroom

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
My Elder Twin Lary the Legger is fenced in by some girl named Bambi.
He thinks its the other way around. 😀
Did Bambi take his peuter away from him? We miss him - - - and you. I have been not too active lately because of being gone and so blasted busy. Now I have our POA (Property Owners Assn.)
president coming tomorrow night to see me - - he wants me to chair two of our committees. Maybe I opened my mouth too much on the last two meetings. Oh mercy - - - I want to help but am definitely torn. I know he needs help - - so many do not want to commit to such a chore so things are not getting done. Not good for the subdivision. We will see.
Back to work. Finished one of the showers yesterday - - boy my back hurts. Cleaning up my mess today. Had to work on wife's computer - - she messed up her Quick Books somehow - - have some it corrected but more to go. Sooooo, "low" - - - "buy". LOL
Old 09-26-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys, haven't been on in a long time. Figured I would stop by. I miss the booming DTR forum days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Spooler:
FiverBob (09-26-2018), oliver foster (09-26-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
After days of rain, we are drying out. I MAY get to take the 150 out for a flight this weekend. Last time I flew was 4th of July. Got to smash some bugs as the Bride wants to go get one of those $100 dollar burgers. A friend who I helped with ground school 6 years ago just landed a job flying 767's for a cargo company. Wish I was younger...... Ran into the guy that bought my 2008 3500. He just had to put a new flywheel and clutch in it. That failure was the exact reason I sold it. Wife wants me to buy another truck. What's best out there now?
Old 09-27-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
I opened a window and let the dragon out.

Beautiful 65F degree, sunny, fall day up here in VT.
I got some welding done one of my '85 crew cabs cowl cracks while it is still nice enough to have the garage doors open in the evening.

Grabbing a cold beer as a reward and headed back out to clean up the welds a little with the grinder, so I can hit it with a little paint after work tomorrow. They are calling for another nice 60-65F degree day.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:25 PM

Received 2,375 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Is this the FALL or the FAIL break room?
Haha.

We didn't even get Bobby or Stan in here today!

I am grabbing another beer and sitting down in the comfy chair after a good day. Lots to do tomorrow.
Old 09-28-2018, 09:36 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
We didn't even get Bobby or Stan in here today!

I am grabbing another beer and sitting down in the comfy chair after a good day. Lots to do tomorrow.
Hey, wake up Oliver. From the looks of things, you didn't even wake up to wander into the bathroom and - - - uhhhhh - -- well, you know. …………...

Yesterday was such a crammed in day - - going until late last night, and when company left I got engrossed (and enraged) with the garbage on the TV. Lord help us if the dems make headway in this coming election. They have changed
dramatically in the last few years. They don't care about the country, our civility, or the rules - - just their agenda and getting more of our money in their pockets for a cushy retirement. Sooooo sad.

OK, coffee and ph00 are on, pet the dragon and fresh food is in his/her bowl. Sprinkles are on the counter perchance Lary makes it in. I have another jammed up day. Whew, so glad when I can retire.

Have a great day …………………..

Old 09-28-2018, 10:57 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Meow!

Complaining about too much putty cats is never a good sign...

They know a softy when they see one.
Sometimes referred to as the cat whisperer. The problem is even the BIG cats like me.

A long boring week at work. My start moving into the new place this weekend.
Old 09-29-2018, 03:20 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well not much has changed here I've been at Myrtle Beach and it's a mess around Conway SC 13 days after hurricane Florance roads are still closed or being closed houses surrounded by water.

So keep them in mind when you say a word in prayer, and pray for this country where 30 plus years latter your past some how shows up.
Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Hello folks.

Had a fun day today. Took on a project I normally don't do, and got to experiment with my new "flux core" wire I've been experimenting with over the last week. I've always used 75/25 argon/ co2, but have switched over the the spatter wire. So much more forgiving than the other, when it comes to outside welding. Now comes the part where I re-learn how to weld all over again. Not pretty, but it should hold.... or so I hope.

This is a 5 gallon paint mixer where someone claimed they were doing maintenance, but in reality did nothing. The bearings on the bottom went bad because they never greased them. Drier than an old ladies....... Well, anyway, should have been greased at least once or twice over the decade of mixing paint. Nope. Metal fatigue settled in and blew out the side of the carriage plate.

This job came about from my local, mom and pop, building materials supplier. Someone there knew I dabbled in welding, and asked if I'd oblige. Took the 450 lb behemoth back home in the dodge, and took it all apart. The guy who fixes these things is in NY state, about 3 hours or so away. He wanted $2000 to "weld the plate" and said it's not the welding that is the issue, it's the disassembly. Said it "takes forever". Well, it took me no more than 3 hours to get it all apart, 5 hours of grinding and welding, and now I have to fabricate a sister plate to slap / weld onto the face of the plate so that I "HOPE" the unit doesn't go bad again. Can't reassemble it till I have new bearings in my hand, so I'm waiting on approval on that. If I reassemble this thing with bad bearings, it's gonna wipe itself out very quickly.

Flux core is great because I don't get any porosity, it welds much hotter, and deeper penetration. (sounds like a good movie, eh? ) I'm just not up to speed with the "clean lines look" yet, and even so, flux core will never look as nice as mix solid wire anyway. It's not how it looks, it's how well it holds together. Metal fatigue is the unknown here, so only time will tell. I've given them the option to buy a new plate, and I'll lower my labor fee, but it all depends on how much the new plate is. I know the bearings are about $120 each, USD.

Can't wait to reassemble it. RIght now the carriage is temporarily reassembled so I can template the added sister plating on there.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:50 AM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Found that the manufacturing company tthat makes the machine sells the new plate and bearings as a kit. Will be ordering a new plate bearings kit, and tossing this worn out heap in the trash.

Even if I don't make a dime, at least I know it's not going to fail.

Fun trying is good enough for me