Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Vehicle graveyard

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 05:11 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Vehicle graveyard

This is so sad, even though it was the former Soviet Union, they were people.

All of these vehicles were used in the rescue efforts of Chernobyl and became so hot radioactivity they had to be abandoned; they are still hot today over 30 years later.

The first responders were so hot they all had to be buried, vehicles and people.

Name:  kladbishe07.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  48.6 KB

Name:  kladbishe06.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  51.8 KB

Name:  kladbishe05.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  76.3 KB

Check out the rows of engines.
They appear to be aircraft engines probably out of the tanks.

Don't think the Soviets had any Dodges though.

Name:  kladbishe03.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  kladbishe02.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  63.6 KB

Name:  kladbishe01.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  kladbishe11.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  56.4 KB

This was where people once lived, no all abandoned.

http://www.nuclearflower.com/april/ghosts.html

So sad, think this couldn't happen here?

Jim
Old 12-16-2010, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sure would be fun to put on a suit and go snoop .... I love places like that.

Wonder who has the job of keeping the weeds down ?? Low man on the totem pole.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 AM

2011 tourist can visit the plant
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...ists-2011.html
Old 12-16-2010, 08:06 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

If I remember right, there qwas like an 8 minute life expectancy of the initial responders trying to contain it.

A couple of nice programs about it on discovery that air every so often. One about all the wildlife that has recovered and taken over.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by sdntive
"Although radiation levels in the zone are still high, flourishing wildlife means that the area is now deemed safe enough for humans."

Thats the dumbest thing I've read all day. That would truly be the last place I would want to go and visit.

Although I do like watching the documentaries on the History Channel, thanks for posting up those graveyard pictures. That was interesting.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Who has been scavenging the parts and mowing? I would thinnk this stuff would have been buried a long time ago.

I'm skeptical, looks like a military boneyard to me.
Old 12-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Go to the link he posted. Lots of interesting info there. I s'pose you don't believe in Santa either?

Old 12-16-2010, 07:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nate-03 D
"Although radiation levels in the zone are still high, flourishing wildlife means that the area is now deemed safe enough for humans."

Thats the dumbest thing I've read all day. That would truly be the last place I would want to go and visit.

Although I do like watching the documentaries on the History Channel, thanks for posting up those graveyard pictures. That was interesting.

I am wondering if hearty little critters like cockroaches have been able to adapt to the radiation and mutate into the size of small dogs?

I think it would be intresting to go and see this.
Old 12-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Who has been scavenging the parts and mowing? I would thinnk this stuff would have been buried a long time ago.

I have read that people were stealing parts from the vehicles and they were worried about the irradiated parts that someone might have in their possession.

I have also read that the military have tried to disable most of the vehicles so they cannot be stolen.

Most of these people look like the poorest people on earth.
http://www.nuclearflower.com/april/zone.html
Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Redleg
If I remember right, there qwas like an 8 minute life expectancy of the initial responders trying to contain it.

A couple of nice programs about it on discovery that air every so often. One about all the wildlife that has recovered and taken over.
Quote:
Immediately following this accident, the radiation levels were high as 20,000 to 30,000 Roentgen per hour. What is considered lethal for a human being is 500 Roentgen over the course of five hours. It is believed that a human can be exposed to just two Roentgens per year without experiencing any serious problems.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...byl_2010&num=3

Quote:
Thousands of coal miners – drafted because of their expertise in underground tunneling – were tasked with digging a tunnel under the reactor and to install a coil for cooling the concrete base of the reactor and to reinforce any cracks appearing in the concrete.

These men worked in extremely high temperatures and were exposed to high doses of radiation. Their self-sacrifice likely prevented a second nuclear explosion that would have exposed Europe to massive doses of radioactive contamination.

Liquidators have reported that they could only work 5 to 60 seconds at a time due to the extreme temperatures and radiation levels. Others report that KGB confiscated their Geiger counters.

http://www.chernobyl-international.org/liquidators.html
Old 12-16-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Google Earth 51 09 12 42 N, 29 58 53 40 E.

Can see a satellite image of the bone yard near Chernobyl.

MikeyB
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM

Id say they just spray the place to keep the grass/weeds down and not stir it up. A fair amount of equipment sitting there.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 67HotRod
Id say they just spray the place to keep the grass/weeds down and not stir it up. A fair amount of equipment sitting there.
Dioxin seems to do a good job of controlling vegetation, shouldn't be any problems with the side effects.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:27 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

One of the documentaries you refer to made you really respect the bravery of the responders. The chopper pilots who knew they were going to probabaly die after they ran the loads of cement in were real hero's.
Old 12-17-2010, 03:56 AM
Administrator

All of these guys were heros dropping neutron absorbers, lead and cement into the open inferno burning in excess of 4000 degrees, they were flying into radiation @ 20,000 to 30,000 Roentgen per hour and were already dead from radiation poisoning but continued their mission.

I read where the crew were already vomiting from poisoning and the pilot might have went unconscious piloting the chopper and hit the cables.

Some of the pilots reported that at night they could see the glowing plumes of radioactive smoke.

Their actions saver the rest of europe from further disaster.

This also includes the 800,000 liquidators that were sent in to contain the radioactive debris.

If you want to see the poor souls that survived the results of the Chernobyl disaster then go to youtube and check "Chernobyl's Children" all of the kids born with deformities and cancer, it is truly disturbing but be warned it is graphic.

Jim

Quick Reply: Vehicle graveyard