Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Valentine's Party Breakroom 2/14 - 2/20

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Weird weather out here. 70's all weekend through Tuesday. Then the storm hits last night, snow down to 3500'. Trucks stopped at Applegate and not allowed over Donner summit. Back to 70* by Sunday!
Boy, you brought back memories - - spent too many nights up there. Not fun - - cold in that truck. Had more fun landing in a small plane early one morning after an earthquake messed up Tehachapi bad. Big gap in runway at one end - - in to take pictures for Fresno Bee. Scary. When is the aftershock? Will we be able to take off? Yikes.......

Lary, goodies look very edible - - thanks. Grabbing some and my ph00.........................gone
Old 02-18-2016, 03:05 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the honor of meeting one of the few WWII heroes left today. Lt Col Cole, co-pilot to Jimmy Doolittle of Doolittle's Raiders stopped by. We were treated to a very good video made from actual photos and film of the mission. A 30 minute question and answer session followed. Lt Col Cole just turned 100 and was clearly enjoying telling us about the mission.

Years ago I had the experience of standing on the centerline of the actual runway marked out for their practice. He had a big grin when I told him along with my comment of "Wow! That's tiny!"
Old 02-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by soulezoo
Had to cut back on coffee due to blood pressure. I wish they would have made me cut back on going to work-- that actually causes the high blood pressure.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:30 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod
I had the honor of meeting one of the few WWII heroes left today. Lt Col Cole, co-pilot to Jimmy Doolittle of Doolittle's Raiders stopped by. We were treated to a very good video made from actual photos and film of the mission. A 30 minute question and answer session followed. Lt Col Cole just turned 100 and was clearly enjoying telling us about the mission.

Years ago I had the experience of standing on the centerline of the actual runway marked out for their practice. He had a big grin when I told him along with my comment of "Wow! That's tiny!"
Wow! What a great honor!....
Old 02-18-2016, 07:48 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by sherod

That's very cool.
Especially hitting 100yrs old!
Old 02-19-2016, 08:24 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
A gorgeous morning to all. If yours is cold and nasty, try Florida. It is amazing out there this morning. Up at day break and out working in the plantings. Can't understand why the weeds can grow faster than the plants. .................

Put some fresh coffee and ph00 but don't have any goodies - - maybe someone will chime in with something.

Back at it.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had the day off, but went in to help with OC spray training with my new guys. The wind was variable, so guess who got the worst on the first spray?

One poor very pale complected guy took about an hour and a half to recover to the point he could talk again.

I had a ball!

Now if the bruises on my wrists from the handcuffs would go away!!!

I love my job!!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 07:14 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Evening. Nothing decent smelling to drink here and no food. The dragon just burped, hmmm, I wonder ......

Just returned for my most favorite place in the whole wide world - the dentist. Had a root canal done. Not that bad, but half my face is still frozen. Have to be very careful not to dribble coffee when I drink because I can't feel part of my lips.

Got another question for the electrical gurus. Have just installed a 5HP, 220 volt single phase compressor and it works very well. Only problem is that I am not comfortable with no ground on it. Have asked different electricians what to do with the neutral and most say just to cap it. One person said to connect the neutral from the panel to the compressor frame and that will be the ground. This does not seem right. Another guy said to connect the neutral wire to the compressor frame, but also then change the neutral in the main box to the ground side. Maybe, but what happens if there is some sort of feedback? So, what is the correct and safe way to ground this unit?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:47 PM

Stan,
With a 220V motor, the path for current is from one 110 leg to the other 110 leg, which is 180° out of phase, giving 220 V between them. No current returns to the ground point between the legs.

There should be a safety ground wire from the motor frame to the ground bar in the panel. The green, or bare wire in the cable is used for that. Wouldn't hurt to parallel it with the white wire if it isn't being used to complete a 110V circuit, but it's not needed. In fact, usually you'd use a 2 conductor with ground cable (NM2wG) and use the white wire for one of the 220V legs.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:53 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Thanks for the answer.

I used the unused (neutral) green wire to connect to the motor frame and already switched the other end in the main panel from the neutral position to the ground. This is a dedicated cable, so 110 volts is not needed. You confirmed that I did it right. Thanks again.

Nice to have so many 'spurts on this site.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM
Admin Team Leader

Ummm Stan.....your drooling
Old 02-20-2016, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Nice to have so many 'spurts on this site.
Understand that a consultant (expert) is an ordinary bloke from out of town with a briefcase.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
I'm still not having fun yet! Broke my wrist Sunday morning just before getting on a plane to WI. Boss is making me work with it. Pulled an engine and dropped it off in Canada. While I'm waiting for it to come back, I'm doing an annual on a Caravan. When I say I can work on an aircraft one handed, you can believe me.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:59 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by cougar
I'm still not having fun yet! Broke my wrist Sunday morning just before getting on a plane to WI. Boss is making me work with it. Pulled an engine and dropped it off in Canada. While I'm waiting for it to come back, I'm doing an annual on a Caravan. When I say I can work on an aircraft one handed, you can believe me.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going.....Prayers for a speedy recovery and some time to heal