Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Used Compressors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used Compressors

I looked at a 60 gallon used one tonight (Husky). Its a decent price.

BUT, its been sitting for 5-6 years and to guy doesnt have 220V so I cant really check it out. Im going to try to run it on 120V tomorrow.

Are there any concerns with buying this? Im mainly wondering about the pump sitting that long.

Do any of you guys work with or know compressors?

Any advice/insite would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:19 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
I would want to test it out. Best thing to do, is change the oil in the compressor case, see if there is any condensation in there. If there is, then don't pay much for it.

I know ingersol compressors are completely rebuildable, with parts available pretty much over the counter through thermo king, but I am not sure about the husky units.

When you try it out, keep an eye on how long it takes to build, and while its building, pull the fill plug out of the recip assembly case, and see what kind of blow-by is there. if there is lots, run away. If not, it might be worth having. otherwise, check the belts and sheaves for wear, see if the motor has oil ports for the end bushings, and whether or not its been oiled. Check the air intake filter for crud as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:30 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Well never had one my self, but my neighbor brought one out of storage a year or so ago. It had been in storage for at least a few years, probably more. Before he started it, he changed the oil and we rotated it by hand. We had to put a new belt on, the old one was basically dust. he ran it for about two minutes with the bottom drain open, just to make sure everything was ok before he put much of a load on it. He then turned it off and rotated by hand again. Then turned it on and watched as it pressured up and kicked off.

Dale did not seem to have a bit of concern about starting it up again, he just made sure things looked and felt right before he did.

Not sure if this helps.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by wyododge
Well never had one my self, but my neighbor brought one out of storage a year or so ago. It had been in storage for at least a few years, probably more. Before he started it, he changed the oil and we rotated it by hand. We had to put a new belt on, the old one was basically dust. he ran it for about two minutes with the bottom drain open, just to make sure everything was ok before he put much of a load on it. He then turned it off and rotated by hand again. Then turned it on and watched as it pressured up and kicked off.

Dale did not seem to have a bit of concern about starting it up again, he just made sure things looked and felt right before he did.

Not sure if this helps.

Valuable advice for sure

Thanks gents.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:38 AM

The old guy that owns it said he did use it on 120V when he first got it because he didnt have 220. He has stored it with the petcok open so any moisture/condensation can drain out.

I would think its just a single stage unit. Its a Husky.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:19 AM

Rewire it for 120v and find a stout circuit to run it.

Dribble some compressor oil into the intakes when it starts up to clean out any "red" stuff in the compressor.

For some reason, I've posted 3 replies to this thread and it won't "take"...
Old 07-24-2010, 10:33 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by whiteeye42
Sorry to tell you but it won't even start on 120v it will just sit there and hum what i would do is get a generator that has 220v and hook the air compressor up to it and try it. But first i would change the oil and the belt then turn by hand to make sure the piston is not stuck then open the drain vavle on the bottom and run for at least 10 minutes to see if it will build air then shut the vavle and run until it shuts off check all fitting for leaks and look over the tank for any rust and or pitting check really good on the bottom of the tank. Is it a two stage compressor or a single stage the reason i ask this is because they take different oil in the compressor
Originally Posted by SoTexRattler
Rewire it for 120v and find a stout circuit to run it.

Dribble some compressor oil into the intakes when it starts up to clean out any "red" stuff in the compressor.

For some reason, I've posted 3 replies to this thread and it won't "take"...
unless its a cheap motor, it should have the wiring in place to run high voltage or low voltage. you can get a single voltage motor, but they aren't common because there isn't much difference in a single voltage and dual voltage motor and the motor is more versitile in dual voltage.