Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Trainer Killed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
Trainer Killed

Sorry to hear that a trainer was killed today at Sea World in Orlando. This is not the first time this killer whale has took a life. This whale should have been release to the wild since it showed aggression and killed two other people before this trainer today. Read article
http://www.fox59.com/news/nationworl...,2841137.story
Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Time for fish sticks... someone get the tartar...
Old 02-24-2010, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The name says it all, (killer whale). Swim with it or sharks and your time will come at some point. We are land mammals for a reason.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of those killed was not a trainer but some fool who snuck into the park and wanted to swim with the whales.
Old 02-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I feel horrible for the family but unfortunately wild animals like that will ALWAYS be wild and can turn at any given moment.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:05 AM

Those trainers all live on borrowed time ... and they know it.

I feel bad for the family, but that was a hazard of the job they chose ...

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 02-25-2010, 09:35 AM

I am surprised the trainers do not get injured or killed more often. They are working with an animal that can grow to 25-30', weigh 10,000lb+, and swim at 30 knots+. One mistake on your part or the whale's and you are down.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:49 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Yes, a sad day indeed.

However, like already mentioned, these are wild animals, in captivity.

What now? Kill the whale, try to punish it? Humans made this mess, I guess someone will figure out a way to fix it.

What's Orca taste like?
Old 02-25-2010, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
What's Orca taste like?
Chicken of the Sea?
Old 02-26-2010, 04:18 PM
Chapter President

Unlike most, not so sad, actually has not affected me at all. Suppose I was out in Africa studying the crocodile or lions and got caught one day and eaten. Well, I'm gone. If I'm an Ironworker and fall off the building, part of the job. Welding on a gas pipe and blow myself to kingdom come, in my job description....."dangerous work". If I'm in the Olympics and doing the luge and fly off and hit a pole? See where I'm going here? Probably some kids that are going to have some pretty crazy dreams for the next few weeks though. They should let the big whale go, said he was taken from his pod when he was 2 years old to be in some circus side show. That would be like taking one of your kids from you and sticking them in the circus, hopefully the kid would kill a trainer or two. They said, "There has never been a report of an Orca attack on a human being in the wild, only while in captivity". Pretty self explanatory huh? Now we're supposed to kill the whale as one said? For what? Don't take him from his pod in the ocean, three people still alive, pretty simple math in my opinion.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:59 PM

I don't feel sorry for these kind of people. Just because you (think) you tamed the animal doesn't mean it won't decide to make a meal out of you. If I did that kind of work I would want no one to feel sorry for me or my family. You know what you are doing and the risks that come with it.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
"Kill the whale" was meant as an easy human solution to a complicated question.

I have always known that wild animals aren't meant to be caged up and kept from their natural environment, even to "study". My vote would be to let him go back were he came from, hoping he could re-join his own kind and survive.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:19 PM

If that were my sister there wouldbe a dead whale!
Old 02-26-2010, 11:58 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Kinda funny how there are those who would say we can control the environment of the entire globe, yet we can't even control a whale in a swimming pool.

Go Figure.

FWIW - it is a tragedy, but should be expected. It has happened time and time again with animal 'trainers'. The wale should be let go.
Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 AM
Chapter President

If that were my sister sure I'd most likely be edit but everyday before her death I would text her and say, "is that safe??" "you know he can eat you in one bite???" Can't blame a wild animal for doing what it has instinctively done for 1000's of years, now us upright walkers come along and think we can control everything. Perhaps it would be something along the lines of you jumping in your super horsepower diesel, show boating in front of the camera and loosing control, rolling the truck over ejecting you cause you were not wearing your seat belt then the truck crushes you. Guess we could blame the "stupid truck" for killing you. I'm not a big time animal activist but stupid is as stupid does, don't get in the big pool with the wild animal, if you do and he decides you look pretty good for lunch one day then tough edit! Which is what you may end up as!!!

They shot the monkey last year that attacked that woman, or whenever it was. The cop said the monkey opened the car door and stood their covered in blood and snarled and showed his fangs, I would have shot him too. Different situation but again, having a wild animal, un-domesticated like our cats and dogs, is well, dangerous?? You keep a rattlesnake as a pet and he bites you, stupid human.

Quick Reply: Trainer Killed