Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Traditional breakroom, Nov 12 - 18

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:46 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Good morning. A beautiful clear day dawning down here. A very pretty long orange line on the eastern horizon. Coffee and ph00 time.

Was called in yesterday to help stepson to move his office. He is going to a new office building where everything is common. Think it is known as co-sharing. Everybody has their own private office, but share meeting rooms etc. All the phone calls, international or otherwise are part of the rent. Coffee and other drinks are freely available to all. There is a small restaurant as part of the deal. Everybody shares a common gatekeeper (secretary). There are 4 floors with multiple tenants. It looks very nice and quite upscale and professional. This place even has bicycles for the use of their tenants for local running around.

John, that skinning job sounds like you got skinned. Hard work! Thanks for the fuse info. Generally I can get anything I want around here, but once in a while hit an oddball, like the 250 or 300 amp ANL fuses that I needed recently. Then I need to order them, but shipping international shipping costs are a killer. Those $7:50 fuses you mentioned could cost at least double that to ship.

Got to go and check my truck because I have a suspicion that the alternator died last night. Only have 12.40 volts with the engine running.

Ciao
Old 11-15-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Got the deer quartered this morning. That, too, was a bit rugged as a cold front came through, temp about 33°, and enough wind to get the critters I was trying to knife swinging and turning. I threw a few trimmings on the ground and the hungry cats dug in. Last time I looked they were laying in various corners of the boiler room holding their bellys and saying "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

Just started to process them. At a few rib eye steaks for supper. Cut em with the side of my fork.

What's with the generator thing. I put a new one in my truck a year ago, replaced it this spring with a warranty, and now the battery was dead this evening when I went to start it.

Stan, you could look up what you need in Mouser, get the mfg's part number and ask the locals if they can get it for you.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:13 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Good morning from Paradise ................. of course, where another beeeeuuutiful clear, cloudless day is dawning.

John, take a vacation and bring some of the venison down to me for a BBQ. I'll supply the tortillas.

Good idea about getting the part numbers and seeing if the locals can order them.

Yesterday I went out with the truck in spite of the low voltage reading. About 10 minutes from home there was a ding and the dash warning light came on. At that point the voltage gauge read zero. Turned around and came home. By the time I got home the alternator was so hot that I could not even touch it. I know that normal engine heat will heat it up, but this was a lot more than normal.

Pulled the alternator and looking through the vents in the case could see that some of the coils looked burned. Also could hardly turn it. This stiffness did not feel like a bad bearing, but more like something was binding inside. NAPA did not have an alternator in stock and would take 5 days to get me one. Autozone had a couple, but both were slightly different to mine. One had a made in China sticker on it and didn't even look close to the Bosch, so that was an automatic no option. The other one was Bosch, but the main lug came out the side and not out the back like mine, but other than that it appeared identical to mine. It had a 7 groove pulley and not an 8 like mine. It was also rated at 150 amp and not like the OE which is 136 amps. Bigger amps is not a problem.

Decided to take the Bosch and just exchanged pulley's. The lug out the side was no problem as the OE wire from the battery could still reach it. This lug was very long and brought the end uncomfortably close to the metal turbo pipe, so just cut about 1/2" from it. Everything is back to working purrrfectly on my truck again. The price came to about US$139 which is about average for the Rock Auto alternators, so am not complaining. Alternator replacement is an easy and fast job on these trucks.

No ph00 or coffee made as nobody comes to drink it.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:42 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good Morning folks, Hot coffee and phoo are in the carafes, fresh baked goodies and fruit on the counter dig in!

Special message for Scotty: lOoK aT mY LeGgS!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Special message for Scotty: lOoK aT mY LeGgS!

YIKES!!!
Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Has anybody ever noticed the increase in trackers everywhere? Just here on DTR I have the following blocked;
9 advertising trackers
3 social media
2 site analytic's.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Depends on the web site Stan. Some I quit going to because of that. I use Add Blocker Plus and it seems to work pretty well. It blocks most of them until they figure a way around it. Then ABP comes up with an update.
Snowing today, finally.
We are making an offer on a house today. We'll see what happens.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:09 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Gorgeous and cool morning down here in Sunny Florida. Hi will be in mid 70's, lows in low 60/high50's. Great day to go to beach - - if I had time. Just talked to wife on phone - - for once, had a full nights sleep with no interruptions from her sis with the TV blaring. Sis looked a bit brighter yesterday and could tease back a bit. Sad.

Grabbing a ph00 and heading out to conquer the world. UUUHHH, well, maybe just a couple things will be fine. .......................................Ph00................
Old 11-17-2017, 12:27 PM

17° and a nice quiet layer of snow on the ground.
The seller made a counter offer that we excepted. So now we wait.
Attached Thumbnails Traditional breakroom, Nov 12 - 18-kings-court.jpg  
Old 11-18-2017, 08:12 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
DEliGhtFul
LeGgs
L A R y
Old 11-18-2017, 08:58 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Poked my nose in, took a look around. Ran like the wind.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:08 AM

I didn't even get that far, the smell is horrible. Wow! Called a HAZMAT crew.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I was gonna just stop in and say hi and have a cup but the pot is off and nobody around. Rained hard most all night. Heard a tree crash down sometime during the night and just kinda waiting for daylight to see where it landed.
Might work on busted brake line on the pickup today ..... We'll see....
I'm going to leave the lights off and head on down road , cause maybe everybody sleeps in on Sunday mornings nowadays.