Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toyota ---Nascar??

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SolarExpress
Umm, Toyota is a Japanese company with manufacuring plants in the U.S. The big three are American companies with manufacturing plants the other contries. I dont care if Toyota races, just dont get the cheerleaders lying to me.
I think it would be irrational to consider it a lie, it's more of a semantics and opinion issue.

What if Toyota were to employ more Americans than any of the "American" companies? Then what?

What if Toyota were to annually invest more money in American operations than the "American" companies? Then what?
Old 02-21-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dee-Dubya told me several times during the broadcast that Toyotas are built in the US, Dodges are built in Mexico and Canada, blah, blah. They're just as American as Ford, Chevy or Dodge. Umm, Toyota is a Japanese company with manufacuring plants in the U.S. The big three are American companies with manufacturing plants the other contries. I dont care if Toyota races, just dont get the cheerleaders lying to me. It doesnt matter much anyway, NASCAR has been NAR(ace)CAR for 20 years now. Maybe for the 2010 NARCAR season they can race Camaros, Challengers and Mustangs. Just slap a rollcage in and your there.
Sorry , D/C is a German company - 80% of the stock is owned by Germans. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3012
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Begle1
I think it would be irrational to consider it a lie, it's more of a semantics and opinion issue.

What if Toyota were to employ more Americans than any of the "American" companies? Then what?

What if Toyota were to annually invest more money in American operations than the "American" companies? Then what?
this is no place for logic!!! Dale Earnardt wasn't a redneck bully that drove in circles, he was a HERO!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 AM

well as far as him being a hero you need to look that up!!!!
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RickG
Sorry , D/C is a German company - 80% of the stock is owned by Germans. http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=3012
I am aware of the that fact. Was "The Big Three" reduced to "The Big Two" when Diamler purchased Chrysler? No. It is still considered an American company. If GM purchased Toyota would they be considered an American company? I dont think so. It would still be a Japanese company but with American interests. Ya'll can play smenatics, but I think you understand my point.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Begle1

1. DeeDubya is trying to tell me that Toyota is more American than the Americans. Just because someone opens a plant here does not make them American no more than my truck being built in Mexico makes Chrysler a Mexican company.

2. That would be considered outsourcing. Is AT&T consiered an Indian corporation because all their customer service centers are in India?

3. Same as #2.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya'll can play smenatics, but I think you understand my point.
Not really. My Acura 3.2TL-S was manufactured in Marysville, OH by a Japanese company using an engine built in Ada, OH. My Ram was assembled in Mexico by a German company using an engine presumably built in Columbus, IN. Which one is more "American"?

Rusty
Old 02-22-2007, 05:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. DeeDubya is trying to tell me that Toyota is more American than the Americans. Just because someone opens a plant here does not make them American no more than my truck being built in Mexico makes Chrysler a Mexican company.

2. That would be considered outsourcing. Is AT&T consiered an Indian corporation because all their customer service centers are in India?

3. Same as #2.
You see, I do consider AT&T an Indian company. They have assets in India, they invest money in India, they are managed in India, and they cater to Indians. AT&T is also an American company, because they do the alot of the same things in America as they do in India.

If you're labelling companies based on history and name alone, then what's the point of the label? The only reason I consider Chrysler "more" American than Toyota is (I presume) that Americans own much more stock in Chrysler than in Toyota. But I really don't have any clues on what the nationality-of-ownership is for either company. Simply judging by how and where they do business, I consider Toyota plenty American.

Now, whether or not I consider the Toyota's in NASCAR as Toyota's is another issue of semantics that needs to be discussed.

Originally Posted by RustyJC
Not really. My Acura 3.2TL-S was manufactured in Marysville, OH by a Japanese company using an engine built in Ada, OH. My Ram was assembled in Mexico by a German company using an engine presumably built in Columbus, IN. Which one is more "American"?

Rusty
I would say that there's a difference between American product and American company... It wouldn't take much to convince me that more of that Toyota is made in America than the Ford, even if FoMoCo has more American capital and a more American supply base.

And the Cummins is only assembled in Columbus, I think pieces come from Germany, Britain, India and Brazil...
Old 02-22-2007, 06:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
this is no place for logic!!! Dale Earnardt wasn't a redneck bully that drove in circles, he was a HERO!!!!!!
Exactly. I can't argue this whole Toyota thing in a rational, logical fashion because it's not about logic. Being a race fan is not logical or rational, it's emotional. I don't have a logical defense for my position on this situation, but that doesn't change the way I feel about it. It just don't seem right...