Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toyota to get the Cummins Rival!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never put much stock in anything car&driver said, especially if it had to do with pick-ups. I have seen them consistantly mis-print things that had to do with Dodge.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll look at the new Cat/Toyota truck, and might even test drive one IF it comes out, but I wouldn't trade my CTD to have one.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:33 AM

From edmunds
In the works is a new big-block diesel V8, an engine Toyota plans to drop into the new Tundra and build at the rate of 70,000 units per year out of its new greenfield TMMTX plant in San Antonio, Texas, that opens this year. However, the diesel is apparently still three years away.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:42 AM

from truckaccessoryguide.com when asked about building their own diesel.
According to Toyota, they will probably develop one on their own or look to their commercial truck division to supply what they need, but in the mean time, someone else may get the call.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:45 AM

From autoweek.com
ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Could Toyota break with 50 years of business practices and go outside the company for an engine?

It's not out of the question for the diesel engine being planned for the new generation of Toyota's Tundra pickup. Production of that vehicle begins next month, but Toyota has not said when a diesel option might be offered.

"We realize that to be a true truck company, it's important to develop a diesel," said Gary Convis, Toyota's executive vice president of engineering and manufacturing for North America. He spoke Sept. 8 at the groundbreaking ceremonies for Toyota's new North American Technical Center, scheduled to open in 2008.

Convis said that more than likely, Toyota will develop its own diesel or lean on its heavy-duty commercial-truck division, Hino, for diesel technology.

But Convis says Toyota has not ruled out buying one from an established supplier.

If Toyota does buy a diesel from a supplier, it would be the first time in the company's 50-year U.S. history that one of its vehicles would use a non-Toyota engine.

Possible U.S.-based diesel-engine suppliers could include Detroit Diesel Inc., John Deere & Co., Caterpillar Inc., Cummins Inc. and International Truck & Engine Corp.

Cummins and International already supply engines to automakers. Cummins builds the 5.9-liter turbocharged diesel in the Dodge Ram and has announced a new deal with an automaker for two more diesels, a V-6 and a V-8 that will be launched in 2010. Cummins has not named the automaker, but DaimlerChrysler is likely to be the customer.

International builds the Ford Power Stroke diesel and is well into negotiations with Nissan to supply a diesel V-8 for the Titan pickup.

Toyota will need a diesel for the Tundra not only because consumers are demanding better fuel economy but also because Ford, GM and Dodge are planning to use small-displacement diesels in light-duty trucks around 2010.

Convis says the Tundra launch late next month in San Antonio will be kept deliberately slow while Toyota officials keep an eye on quality. The truck will be built in a new factory and with a new engine. The first trucks will show up at dealerships before the end of the year, Convis said.

Without giving a number, Convis said the Tundra launch will be the biggest and most expensive in Toyota history. Toyota hopes to double sales of the Tundra to about 250,000 units a year.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sidewinder
Does anyone need a bigger cab? I think the Mega-cab is already too big.
Amen to that. It looks kind of funny in my opinion.

Personally, I'd be open to a Toyota / CAT combo for my next truck if I liked the way it looked and it had features that I liked.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
From autoweek.com

Possible U.S.-based diesel-engine suppliers could include Detroit Diesel Inc., John Deere & Co., Caterpillar Inc., Cummins Inc. and International Truck & Engine Corp.

Cummins and International already supply engines to automakers. Cummins builds the 5.9-liter turbocharged diesel in the Dodge Ram and has announced a new deal with an automaker for two more diesels, a V-6 and a V-8 that will be launched in 2010. Cummins has not named the automaker, but DaimlerChrysler is likely to be the customer.

International builds the Ford Power Stroke diesel and is well into negotiations with Nissan to supply a diesel V-8 for the Titan pickup.

I had no idea that Nissan was developing a diesel pickup as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
With decades of experienceing building light duty diesel engines and with Toyota powered medium duty trucks all over the rest of the world, it is difficult for me to imagine Toyota not using/developing an in house engine for their 3/4 and 1 ton pick up - this isn't exactly breaking new ground for this company. IMO, the C7 would be an unlikely canidate for a light duty pick up.....anyone who has seen a C7 first hand would know it wouldn't lend itself well to fitting in a conventional light duty pick up truck. Could it fit? I suppose it is possible but Toyota would have to develop a platform that is quite a departure from it's existing pick up. Those that have seen under the hood of a Tundra and have seen a C7 first hand will already know that in it's present state, there is NO CHANCE that the Tundra will accommadate a C7. Those who disagree probably have not seen both first hand!
Old 11-14-2006, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
With decades of experienceing building light duty diesel engines and with Toyota powered medium duty trucks all over the rest of the world, it is difficult for me to imagine Toyota not using/developing an in house engine for their 3/4 and 1 ton pick up - this isn't exactly breaking new ground for this company. IMO, the C7 would be an unlikely canidate for a light duty pick up.....anyone who has seen a C7 first hand would know it wouldn't lend itself well to fitting in a conventional light duty pick up truck. Could it fit? I suppose it is possible but Toyota would have to develop a platform that is quite a departure from it's existing pick up. Those that have seen under the hood of a Tundra and have seen a C7 first hand will already know that in it's present state, there is NO CHANCE that the Tundra will accommadate a C7. Those who disagree probably have not seen both first hand!
The NEW TUNDRA is allot BIGGER than the current version. The Engine Bay is as big as the Dodge if not Bigger. The C7 will fit-------expecially if Toyota design it to fit!! The statements above show clear that Toyota is not throwing the idea of using the C7 out the window for what seems like the inital start of there Heavy Duty Division. Once they can get there own Diesel into production then they will probably offer the C7 as an option!!!! Now that would be even better for the consumer!---------------------The cab that is being described I dont think will be BIGGER than the Mega, it will just make the Mega Cab look standard umong pick-up's in the coming years. Just as the 4 Door Trucks have stole the marketplace.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:37 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

International diesels dont meet US emission standards.
The US is worried about NOx , the rest of the world cares about CO.

Nissan has a nice 3.0 I4 in their Nivara trucks (frontier outside the US).
They also have an optional 4.2L V6 diesel that is not turbo charged they use in their Chassis cab Patrols (Titan)
Im not sure what Toyota is using, but if they are wanting to break into the US market, the easiest way would be to drop in an industrial engine that meets the US emmissions instead of screwing with their engine trying to meet the US standard and getting a bad name for having problems.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 PM

As long as the Titans get the same troublesome parts fords get ill be happy.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:02 PM

From what i have seen in the Toyota hi-lux pick up over here is the 2.8 4 banger turbo diesel. I wish they still made the hi-lux for the states a great lil pick up truck with go anywhere attatude. Basical the same truck from the early 90's toyota had in the states and they even have a four dour model with 4 full size doors and a short box. They even have Furd Stranger 4 door trucks with a four banger turbo diesel. All in all pretty good lil 4x4s and they puff black on top of it.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:35 PM

Noway a C7 cat will fit in a light duty pickup, They are like 7 inches taller then B-series cummins and 4 inches longer, They barely fit in a 5500 chevy Kodiak.

Jed
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 AM

I've seen the new Tundra's first hand at the San Antonio plant. My company builds the conveyor that they use in the paint department. You will be extremely suprised how big these things are. They make my crew cab interior look small. I can't say for sure, but unless Toyota owns a large percentage of cat (to my knowledge they don't) they won't be using cat engines. That's just not how they do business. The only info I got was that they would use one of their current diesels from their medium duty truck line.

They won't be producing a diesel truck until they complete the second phase of their San Antonio plant. The current plant only supports one length frame. And with the largest cab, the bed is shorter than 6ft.

I know toyota quality is great, but even if they do sell a diesel truck. I'll still be driving my american made dodge.
Old 11-16-2006, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by mtedwards
I'll still be driving my american made dodge.
You mean your mexican made dodge?

Yea, all articles quoting reps from toyota say that the diesel will be built at the san antonio plant. The only reason they'd outsource an engine (would be the first time ever for them) is because they want to release a diesel before their own engine is complete...

Really, all this is speculation until we get an announcement of some sort.

Quick Reply: Toyota to get the Cummins Rival!!!!