Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Took a break, now I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took a break, now I'm back

Hey folks,

I took a break from the forums for some online classes I absolutely had to get done for work but now that I'm starting to wind down I've a bit more free time and decided it was time to stop by.

I'm really liking the new look on the forums, the subtle changes and how everything is in order.

Just wanted to stop by with a quick "Hi" and do some more browsing.

-Kris
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HMX-1
and how everything is in order.
You must be seeing things that the rest of us cant. Stop by more often!
Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by HMX-1
Hey folks,

I took a break from the forums for some online classes ......... and how everything is in order.

-Kris
What are you studying, chaos theory?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:45 AM

Laughing ... hey, its been a while!

I'm taking an online class for CCNA .... Cisco Certified Network Associate. It's a cert I need for work and there are some computer labs I need that go along with it. Making routers talk to each other, the different protocols, etc..
Old 08-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

HMX,
Have fun with those courses. I got my CCNA back in 1996. Things were a bit different back then but at that time, Cisco ran some of the best courses out there. When I got my ceritification, switched Ethernet was was just coming on the scene. I worked in a shop that was 95% token-ring. We were also putting our first collapsed backbone and some of the first fibre in Alberta outside of the telcos. Our collapsed backbone was ethernet. We could bridge token-ring to token-ring or Ethernet to Ethernet but had to route between the different topologies. Some of the stuff we had to learn , like how to make crossover cables or how to open a port in a MAU (token-ring) are now dead skills. The one thing that really killed me was subnet masking. I memorized the formula and did the math mechanically but the theory about why I was doing what I did just never stuck. Good luck on those courses, they will never do you harm in the future.

This wil give you a chuckle. Most of our WAN connections were 56 Kbps and our Netbios traffic shared those connections with the IBM 3174's for the IBM 3270 terminals (I forget what protocols the mainframe stuff used).

Here is another dead skill screwing a tap into the lump on a thicknet cable. Tracking down missing terminators on thinnet runs wasn't much fun either....
Old 08-12-2012, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
HMX,
Have fun with those courses. I got my CCNA back in 1996. Things were a bit different back then but at that time, Cisco ran some of the best courses out there. When I got my ceritification, switched Ethernet was was just coming on the scene. I worked in a shop that was 95% token-ring. We were also putting our first collapsed backbone and some of the first fibre in Alberta outside of the telcos. Our collapsed backbone was ethernet. We could bridge token-ring to token-ring or Ethernet to Ethernet but had to route between the different topologies. Some of the stuff we had to learn , like how to make crossover cables or how to open a port in a MAU (token-ring) are now dead skills. The one thing that really killed me was subnet masking. I memorized the formula and did the math mechanically but the theory about why I was doing what I did just never stuck. Good luck on those courses, they will never do you harm in the future.

This wil give you a chuckle. Most of our WAN connections were 56 Kbps and our Netbios traffic shared those connections with the IBM 3174's for the IBM 3270 terminals (I forget what protocols the mainframe stuff used).

Here is another dead skill screwing a tap into the lump on a thicknet cable. Tracking down missing terminators on thinnet runs wasn't much fun either....
Oh I remember those days too .... Arc-Net being the mix of Ethernet (thinnet and 10Base-T with Token-ring using a star topology and RG-59 with token passing), RG-59/62 for TELEX machines and the 274 controllers, Synoptic hubs for the very early 10Base-T installs, vampire taps on thick net, 64k ISDN (BRI) and SDLC modem connections for remote 3270 connections.

Using DEBUG and the "g=c800:5" commands to access the hard drive controller before using "PREP" and "PART" .... back in the days of MS-DOS 3.x before they switches to "FDISK" and "FORMAT".

Somewhere I think I still have a bootable 5.25" floppy with MS-DOS 2.1 on it, and mounted on my wall in a frame is an 8 inch floppy disk, right next to a Pentium 60 board and CPU, and the Hayes V-series SmartModem 9600 baud and Zenith 300 baud modems .....

And yeah, sub-netting is a PITA.