Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Toilet paper ettiquette

Old 08-09-2012, 02:32 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't call it settled just yet. Your hand on experience is greatly appreciated, however, I see some issues. Depending on which side the paper hanger was mounted on, and which hand you were using, would that not have an effect on being able to place your thumb on top of the roll?

Furthermore, with the roll mounted in the under position, could you not grasp the paper with your hand, while placing your thumb on the side of the roll to brace it for the tear off?

JustthinkingoutloudJKM
Old 08-09-2012, 02:43 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKM
I wouldn't call it settled just yet. Your hand on experience is greatly appreciated, however, I see some issues. Depending on which side the paper hanger was mounted on, and which hand you were using, would that not have an effect on being able to place your thumb on top of the roll?

Furthermore, with the roll mounted in the under position, could you not grasp the paper with your hand, while placing your thumb on the side of the roll to brace it for the tear off?

JustthinkingoutloudJKM

You raise a good question about the position of the roll on which side of the body. However in practice, it isn't even a close comparison between over or under. In our house my mstr bath has the roll on the right. In our downstairs restroom the roll is on the left. So, on a daily basis both are used without errant unrolling (I'm right handed) For the rill on the right the first two fingers grasp the tp and the last couple of fingers/back of hand push up and hold the roll steady against the holder rod so the roll cant move. Then push away to tear. For the roll on te left is that thumb over the line technique I mentioned.

I will comfortably and without a doubt say that over is better Been doing this for 14yrs now this way and I have cursed every single under roll I have come across. Of course YMMV.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shorts
For the rill on the right the first two fingers grasp the tp and the last couple of fingers/back of hand push up and hold the roll steady against the holder rod so the roll cant move. Then push away to tear. For the roll on te left is that thumb over the line technique I mentioned.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Blake Clark
Very possible Bobby, but I do know one thing.
If you put a roll of toilet paper on a treadmill, unlike a plane, it wont fly.
Absolutely it will - - - if you are a little creative. You do some magic on that roll like them characters that make all kinds of things with paper. You create wings on that sucker out of the paper - - and, voalllaa - - up up and away, in my beautiful, my beautiful toilet paperroll. YEH. DUH. ............

Originally Posted by JKM
Think we could mount one on a motorized wheel chair? And if we could, and put it on a treadmill, would it fly?
Another DUH. Did you read the remote buttons or are you typical male (ALSO - - LOL). One of them suckers reads "Deploy Wings." When depressed, the chair unfolds its wings and up it goes. Simple. .......................

Originally Posted by JKM

JustthinkingoutloudJKM
Man, do I have to do everyone's thinking today???? Shorts is exactly right in demanding over the top, but wrong in the performance of the "tear." You grab te desired amount and quickly jerk it - - it will politely detach without even moving the roll, allowing it to await the next deployment.

OK, I am tired from teaching class and retiring to my wheel chair. Bye.

ExhaustedBob
Old 08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
DIRTY OLD MAN!!!!!!!!!!!! .........
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM

You are so weird.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Shorts is exactly right in demanding over the top, but wrong in the performance of the "tear." You grab te desired amount and quickly jerk it - - it will politely detach without even moving the roll, allowing it to await the next deployment.

ExhaustedBob
Mmmmm, yes and no. I've found this method depends on the style of tp and how good the roller holder is. There have been times I've tried this and way too much tp unwound Looked like the cat was playing with it. Usually the unwinding will happen in public/business restrooms.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:31 PM
Administrator

You are so weird.
I'M WEIRD??? I simply wanted to visualize the method you've described! Nevermind, I'LL post a pic then.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM

I'M WEIRD??? I simply wanted to visualize the method you've described! Nevermind, I'LL post a pic then.
Ohh yaaa cause the one armed girl can take a pic of her one arm demonstrating the technique
Old 08-09-2012, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Ohh yaaa cause the one armed girl can take a pic of her one arm demonstrating the technique
Y'know, we've never met, but from what I know about you, if you really want to do something, you'll find a way!
Old 08-09-2012, 03:47 PM

Y'know, we've never met, but from what I know about you, if you really want to do something, you'll find a way!

haha yeah, I could but I still try to take the easy way out
Old 08-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Administrator

haha yeah, I could but I still try to take the easy way out
Well if anyone ever deserved it, it'd be you!
Old 08-09-2012, 04:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I know no more about her than you do....but I agree and would bet a months pay NOTHING stops this Lady from doing anything she sets her mind to
Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I have been doing some research at the hotel... The results speak for them selfs!

Name:  fe3d7efc.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 08-09-2012, 06:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by JKM
So I have been doing some research at the hotel... The results speak for them selfs!
What results? You've used more of one roll than the other. What's that prove? You didn't get stuck on the toilet seat did you?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Here's a whole study on the subject. Have fun!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Toilet paper ettiquette