Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Think your fuel consumption is bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:53 AM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Post Think your fuel consumption is bad?

The next time you think you are getting poor mileage, check this out,

This is a fuel pump demonstration of a Single cylinder on a Top Fuel Dragster, A typical 500-cubic inch all aluminum 8000+ horsepower Nitro burning Hemi engine.

Remember this is only ONE cylinder of the eight cylinders.

It has an engine driven mechanical fuel pump that flows 100 GPM that feed 40 or more fuel injector nozzles.

The first flow is the engine at idle.
Then it accelerates to full throttle.

Did you know,

Under full throttle the dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitromethane per second.

The cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

http://www.7extrememotorsports.com/nhra/stats/

The 14-71 blower consumes up to 900 horsepower to run.

Nitromethane cost about $100.00 per gallon.

If nothing breaks, A Top Fuel Dragster cost $1000.00 per second to run.

I guess my mileage isn't so bad after all.

Just in case you don't know what a Top Fuel Dragster is:

Jim
Old 03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This is pretty cool. I have a paper titled 'The definition of acceleration' somewhere, it explains how fast the car is. If i can find it, I'll post it up.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That fuel line to that single pump looks like 3/8" ? Impressive.
I have one of those pumps on my cyl Kubota-Mobile.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Did you also know that on a 1/4 mile run the engine only turns about 600-800 total revolutions to complete it?

Pretty crazy, do the math if you don't believe it.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Did you also know that on a 1/4 mile run the engine only turns about 600-800 total revolutions to complete it?

Pretty crazy, do the math if you don't believe it.
6,what do they idle at?
What is launch rpm?
Your kidding...........right?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:44 PM

They turn around 8500-10000 rpm but only blast it for about 4.5 seconds. I lost the bonus question for a free meal at a restaurant years ago and researched this and found out it was true.

I don't think they idle any higher than a typical cammy street engine would need, probably 7-900 rpm.

But I'm talkin for the actual pass from stabbin it to parachute, its surprisingly a low amount of turns considering what they do.

That's why they don't have radiators either, they heat em up, run and then shut 'em down.

So 10,000 rpm is divided by 60 seconds for a total turn of 166.66666/second.
166.7 times a 4.5 second run@10,000 rpm is only 750 total revolutions to make over 300 mph in 1500 feet.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Neat stuff! I knew how much fuel they used but never gave a thought about fuel pumps.
Never thought about the total revs being so low.
Thats crazy.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I often have lunch with a guy who builds crankshafts for top-fuel cars. He said they used to get just a couple of passes on a crank and the keyed nose where everything is driven would start to go. He came up with the idea of splining the front of the crank for much more surface area and they are getting up to eight passes now! How would you like to have to replace your crankshaft every two miles!?
Old 03-17-2012, 01:17 AM

Thats just crazy.

I've always wondered about/wanted to see the internals of their trans setup. I brake shafts at 425hp, how do these fools keep everything in check with thousands of hp. lol
Old 03-17-2012, 04:41 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZTxOgaF5-g

You can practically count the rpms here.

Slev
Old 03-17-2012, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by RTillery
I often have lunch with a guy who builds crankshafts for top-fuel cars. He said they used to get just a couple of passes on a crank and the keyed nose where everything is driven would start to go. He came up with the idea of splining the front of the crank for much more surface area and they are getting up to eight passes now! How would you like to have to replace your crankshaft every two miles!?
They get about 2 miles out of a crank and rods and then thy are junk.

Regarding the trans shaft, they are set up to actually slip the clutch for most of the run until the tires finally get a full bite and then are they are off of it.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
The engine block is machined from a block of forged aluminum for strength,
the heads are machined from billet aluminum and there are no coolant passages in either the block or in the heads, allof the engine cooling is accomplished by the mixture of fuel/ air flowing through the heads.

The dual 14mm spark plugs are fired by two magnetos each producing 44-amps each.

The fuel pump delivers 100 GPM flow @500-PSI at full throttle.

Most Top Fuel Dragsters and Top Fuel Funny Cars launch at 8000 RPM's

Top Fuel Dragsters and Top Fuel Funny Cars to not have a transmission, 8000 horsepower is coupled only through a Glide Clutch that is unlike any clutch used in automobiles, they have multiple disk and floaters and engagement is controlled by an onboard timer acting on a pneumatically actuated pilot bearing that press upon many tuned centrifugally weighted arms, there is also a reverse gear.

If you are really serious about a good transmission you need to get a Lenco, they make a bulletproof planetary transmission and are used on most Pro Stock, they are a unique design, each gear is a separate assembly and they are stacked end to end, each gear has its own shift lever and they are quicker than an automatic, depending on class you can also get an air assisted shifter.

http://www.lencoracing.com/

This transmission will handle 3000 horsepower.

I grew up in the 60's living at Irwindale Raceway and got to know many of the big time racers from when they were just starting out like Mickey Thompson, Don Nicholson, Gas Rhonda and many others.

This is the big race that all racers live for, The Winternationals nearby in Pomona California.

I can hear the cars from my home and we live about 10 miles from it, these cars produce sound pressures exceeding 150db.

Seeing them race it is easy to see how they can consume so much nitromethane in only a few seconds of time.

Turn up the volume!

Funny Cars are incredible.

Listen to the Pro Stock hear how quick they shift the 5 speed Lenco transmissions.

This explains about the Glide or Slipper Clutch I was refering to. some of the old timers should remember the CrowerGlide Clutch http://tractorpull.calpoly.edu/images/specs/181-182.pdf

Here is the inside of a ProStock using a Lenco with an air shifter.

And another one

Then sometimes everything just goes wrong.

Jim
Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

drag racing is my kinda racing. 30 seconds, you've lined up, sized up your competitor, and the race is over. that's about the extent of my attention span. None of this 500 miles of driving around in circles.
Old 03-18-2012, 12:56 PM

Thanks for posting that stuff JIMLANE!

I used to go to Carlsbad and occasionally Pomona to watch em run.
My friend Vince used to run "Mottavation", his homebuilt dragster down your way.

Great posts.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pretty impressive...

* One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Indy 500.

* Under full throttle, a Top Fuel dragster engine consumes 1 gallon of nitromethane per second. A fully loaded 747 consumes jet fuel at the same rate with 25% less energy being produced.

* A stock Dodge 426 Hemi V8 engine cannot produce enough power to drive the dragster's supercharger.

* With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

* At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitromethane the flame front temperature measures 7050ºF.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400ºF. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow the cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.

* In order to exceed 300 mph in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. In order to reach 200 mph well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8G's.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have completed reading this sentence.

* Top Fuel Engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light, including the burnout the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.

* The red-line is actually quite high at 9500 rpm.

* The Bottom Line; assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000.00 per second. The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 mph (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66' of the run, (09/28/03 Doug Kalitta).

Putting all of this into perspective:
You are riding the average $250,000 Honda MotoGP bike. Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged and ready to launch down a quarter mile strip as you pass. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the RC211V hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line and past the dragster at an honest 200 mph (293 ft/sec). The 'tree' goes green for both of you at that moment. The dragster launches and starts after you. You keep your wrist cranked hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums and within 3 seconds the dragster catches and passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter mile away from where you just passed him.

Think about it, from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 mph and not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race course.

That folks, is acceleration!

Quick Reply: Think your fuel consumption is bad?