Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   These guys can drive (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/these-guys-can-drive-173346/)

soulezoo 10-14-2007 11:45 PM

That video was taken at the West Sacramento, CA, CHP academy test track. That was a public demonstration day, they do it about once a year. A couple of CHPpies I know participate in that, but not in any of the shots in this vid. They are very proud of their training-- and naturally have a lot of fun too. You should see some of the wet pavement stuff they do. I used to ride my dirt bike out there before the academy was built, but that was a very long time ago...

jthorpe 10-15-2007 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by 97ramctd (Post 1741276)
Yea and because you're a cop and had "training".... "you're the best driver"
I think not..

Nope. Never said that, and never thought that either. We all know what assuming does don't we? I just find it humorous some of the things that people say about how great they are on the road. Yeah, right.

PistolWhipt 10-15-2007 08:03 AM

I can remember when I was a young man and did most of my driving on the back, dirt roads in the family suburban (400cu). Being young and stupid, I got very good at being able to control that big thing at high rates of speed around some pretty hairy turns and obstacles out there on the country roads. Only hit the ditch a couple times and drove it better than most of the other kids in much smaller vehicles. Now they call it "drifting", back then we just called it "heading to school".

At that time, I thought that I was pretty bullet-proof with my driving skill too and that there was no way all those pot-bellied, donut eating deputies in Po-dunk Colorado could catch me if I wanted to run. Controlling my nerves during the chase is what I didn't have control of and would have been the deciding factor.

This is where the patrolmen have the leg up on most of us. With all the "training" as you call it, they are learning to control not only their car but their nerves as well. They can drive, talk on the radio, keep track of where they are and work on a strategic plan to get you stopped all at the same time. You and I are only working on staying on 4 wheels. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I only hope that me or my family is not on the road at the time that your cajones over-ride your brains and you try running from the police.

Have a great day,
PISTOL

lastchance 10-15-2007 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt (Post 1741536)
I can remember when I was a young man and did most of my driving on the back, dirt roads in the family suburban (400cu). Being young and stupid, I got very good at being able to control that big thing at high rates of speed around some pretty hairy turns and obstacles out there on the country roads. Only hit the ditch a couple times and drove it better than most of the other kids in much smaller vehicles. Now they call it "drifting", back then we just called it "heading to school".

At that time, I thought that I was pretty bullet-proof with my driving skill too and that there was no way all those pot-bellied, donut eating deputies in Po-dunk Colorado could catch me if I wanted to run. Controlling my nerves during the chase is what I didn't have control of and would have been the deciding factor.

This is where the patrolmen have the leg up on most of us. With all the "training" as you call it, they are learning to control not only their car but their nerves as well. They can drive, talk on the radio, keep track of where they are and work on a strategic plan to get you stopped all at the same time. You and I are only working on staying on 4 wheels. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I only hope that me or my family is not on the road at the time that your cajones over-ride your brains and you try running from the police.

Have a great day,
PISTOL

Well said!!

Nice vid Jack thanks for sharing, got my blood pumping this morning!

97ramctd 10-15-2007 08:44 PM

Lmao yea Jack whatever you say....

Diesel_Storm 10-15-2007 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by 97ramctd (Post 1741276)
Yea and because you're a cop and had "training".... "you're the best driver"
I think not..

If the "best driver" is what you are looking for, you might as well just give up, cause you will spend your whole life looking for something that is not on this earth.

No amout of training will make a person the best driver, not even the police. To be the best driver you would have to make no mistakes, even with all the training, it is still possible for even the CHP to make a mistake while driving.

I agree with Jack. I would like to see anyone who think they can out run a Police Officer, go head to head with one on a track.

I am not the best driver, nor will I ever be. I would not try to out run the Police, because like Pistol was saying, there is a lot more to high speed driving than being able to handle the car; Its about keeping you nerves in check while driving at that speed.

I can hardly keep my nerves in check while driving my truck through a construction zone, especially if there is a concrete wall beside me and its night time. :o

97ramctd 10-15-2007 11:27 PM

I never said i was the best driver nor am I looking for the best driver. I realize everyone makes mistakes. I was simply stating, just because cops have training, they are NOT impossible to out run.

jthorpe 10-16-2007 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by 97ramctd (Post 1742922)
I never said i was the best driver nor am I looking for the best driver. I realize everyone makes mistakes. I was simply stating, just because cops have training, they are NOT impossible to out run.

hmmm, let me see....

You said, "Yea and because you're a cop and had "training".... "you're the best driver... I think not"

and now you say that you were stating that just because cops have training, they are not impossible to outrun. I agree with that by the way.... and just because you might outrun one of them, it doesn't mean you will be able to do it a second time, or get killed trying.

If you said what you meant instead of using sarcasm like you used above, you might actually be able to get your point across and have it look somewhat intelligent. Say what you mean, mean what you say. ...and don't lie. You meant your first quoted post as an insult. Don't try and get out of it by telling us that you were simply stating something that is not anything near what you ACTUALLY said.

97ramctd 10-16-2007 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe (Post 1743069)
If you said what you meant instead of using sarcasm like you used above, you might actually be able to get your point across and have it look somewhat intelligent. Say what you mean, mean what you say. ...and don't lie. You meant your first quoted post as an insult. Don't try and get out of it by telling us that you were simply stating something that is not anything near what you ACTUALLY said.

Well first of all I am not trying to look intelligent or anything of the sort as i could give a **** less what you or anyone on here think of me.
And yes that was meant to be an insult, to you. Because... Well simple I don't like you (not like it matters) just truth be known.

jthorpe 10-16-2007 03:08 PM

Some forum software... $160.00

A couple of web servers... $10,000.00

Banning button... $priceless!!!

-----------

You can say all you want. You can even hate me. But don't think you can disregard the rules here and expect to stay..

A simple post of a video turns into this? Sad. Anyways, back on topic ;)

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-16-2007 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by 97ramctd (Post 1743717)
Well first of all I am not trying to look intelligent

You will be happy to know that you have completely achieved your objective [laugh]

jthorpe 10-16-2007 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top) (Post 1743805)
You will be happy to know that you have completely achieved your objective [laugh]

[laugh][laugh][laugh] Now that's funny right there, no matter who you are! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Lary Ellis (Top) 10-16-2007 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe (Post 1743806)
[laugh][laugh][laugh] Now that's funny right there, no matter who you are! [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Some people go all through life and never feel the simple pleasure of having achieved what they set out to do. I am happy that this young fellow will not be one of those people ;)

irocpractice 10-16-2007 06:14 PM

A couple o hunnert years ago on The Discovery Channel there was a piece on the training of English Police and the art of pursuit driving.The instructor had the driver give a running commentary on ALL in their field of view and possible action to be taken as they were "at speed".Wery wery interesting.Whole lot more then just early brake and late apex.[coffee]

Hippie816 10-16-2007 06:31 PM

not to be an arse but who picks up the tab for these "demonstrations." Just curious. Hopefully its from speeding tickets and moving violations.