Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Stupid wind

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid wind

Three days now of sustained 35mph+, with regular gusts to 80mph. Tuesday night and Wednesday were 45mph sustained with gusts to 85. Darn gutters are vibrating against the side of the house, sand and sticks are bouncing off my windows, and there's no snow left in the front yard, but a nice drift on the leeward side of the house. Had a gust almost yank the wheel out of my hands Tuesday night, and there was a gust last night a few miles from the house of 96mph. That's F1 tornado/Cat 2 Hurricane force. This is crap.

The two worst things about the wind:

1) 14lbs of boost & 850* EGT just to do 50mph on level ground
2) Wind-chapped lips make the Scotch burn (for the first few sips anyway)

I miss living in Fairbanks where the wind doesn't blow in the winter unless it's blowing in a heat wave!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
seems to be a cold year for everybody this year

BTW say Hi to Sarah
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
that blows
Old 01-14-2011, 08:34 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have to copy a storm chaser's rig.
Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 AM

Well, that explains why it's 40 here this morning with wind and gusts. The week started out with below zero and then single digit highs and now to 40 all in the same week. It's a chinook. We had about 14 inches in the yard but it's sinking quick. Mountains are still getting it though. Snowmobiling has been awesome this year. Can't believe all the snow we've had so far. The three ski hills within 15-30 minutes of the house all opened in November this year.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by rebal
BTW say Hi to Sarah
Had coffee with her and Todd last week at the Starbucks in Target. I'll let her know you said hi.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:25 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
1. Stay indoors
2. Drink thru a straw.
Old 01-14-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Yeah, wind gets old. There is some type of re-occuring wind in France that has been known to drive people into institutes.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
Yeah, wind gets old. There is some type of re-occuring wind in France that has been known to drive people into institutes.
I think its called " the winds of change" in that case.
Old 01-14-2011, 11:20 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Hey Adam,

Workin with a guy named Dean who used to live there. Had some wicked stories of weather out there...

We have wind, but nothing like that. That stuff is crazzzzzzzy!!!!
Old 01-16-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Where I grew up in SoCal we had what we called the 2:00 suck, because it sucked all the moisture out of our concrete pours.

In Rancho Cal/Temecula you could set your clock by it. We would usually stop pouring concrete by then so we wouldn't have to fight it!

It was usually a warm wind like the Chinooks we get up here on occasion. Santa Ana's down there.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Adaminak
Three days now of sustained 35mph+, with regular gusts to 80mph. Tuesday night and Wednesday were 45mph sustained with gusts to 85. Darn gutters are vibrating against the side of the house, sand and sticks are bouncing off my windows, and there's no snow left in the front yard, but a nice drift on the leeward side of the house. Had a gust almost yank the wheel out of my hands Tuesday night, and there was a gust last night a few miles from the house of 96mph. That's F1 tornado/Cat 2 Hurricane force. This is crap.

The two worst things about the wind:

1) 14lbs of boost & 850* EGT just to do 50mph on level ground
2) Wind-chapped lips make the Scotch burn (for the first few sips anyway)

I miss living in Fairbanks where the wind doesn't blow in the winter unless it's blowing in a heat wave!

Up here in Delta that's just a normal breezy day....JK...that is nutz...In 2003 when we started building the missile defense system, we had all these contractors coming up and ignored the warnings and a lot of materials were not secured...One company failed to secure a conex an 100+ winds blew it across the runway putting holes in the asphalt and ended up paying for the repairs...They have pallets go blowing across the field every now an then...Thankfully they sometimes learn by their mistakes...I mean for engineers they aint bad...They have some anemometers on the pass south of town and they have had sustained winds over 180 mph occasionally in the winter.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:15 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Adaminak
Had coffee with her and Todd last week at the Starbucks in Target. I'll let her know you said hi.
She is an awesome lady - - so many city ladies don't understand Sarah - - not their style. She gets things done - - no grass under her feet, just a snow mobile.

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
They have some anemometers on the pass south of town and they have had sustained winds over 180 mph occasionally in the winter.
Reading about climbing Denali one has to be amazed when they talk about the winds that hit the slopes while climbers are trying to reach the top. Litterally blow them off the side of the mountain. Been to the top - - in a plane...... ..... I know, just a big chicken - - now speaking of Chicken - - well, I won't wander over there this morning.,,,,,

Bob
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I recall experiencing winds not even that strong but over 60 mph in the winter and WOW! That is some nasty stuff when there is snow in it. Talk about getting stung when that stuff hits. First step out in that I was back in to get the goggles, balaclava and heavier winter gear. We had -85 wind chill that time.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Up here in Delta that's just a normal breezy day....JK...that is nutz....They have some anemometers on the pass south of town and they have had sustained winds over 180 mph occasionally in the winter.
When I lived in Fairbanks I used to shoot skeet on Ft Greeley. There was one event in the mid-90s where the wind was so bad it blew an ammo bag with 150rnds of 12ga ammo off a picnic bench. Not a lot of shooting that day!

Originally Posted by FiverBob
She is an awesome lady - - so many city ladies don't understand Sarah - - not their style. She gets things done - - no grass under her feet, just a snow mobile.
Very down to earth and approachable when she's not politicking. I agree with many of her thoughts, but the way she presents them to others is what's going to be her downfall. She didn't have the opportunity to deal politically with anyone outside of Alaska, and Alaskans as a whole are pretty brusque and straightforward. There's a mutual respect because you understand you're talking to someone who, regardless their personal view, has struggled just as hard as you have to make a living here, so you get a pass on a few gaffs. That manner of speaking generally doesn't work with people who have never experienced outdoor plumbing in the winter, or chased a pack of wolves out of the hen house, or, for that matter, had to worry about little more than the horrible rising cost of their latte.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
now speaking of Chicken - - well, I won't wander over there this morning.,,,,,

Bob
Chicken? That's a near-border town up the Taylor Highway with a population of about 50. Mighty cold there right about now. Not a lot to do either, unless the caribou pass through town, then you can sit and count 'em, and hope Fish & Game opens an emergency hunt to harvest a few.

Speaking of cold...the wind is gone and the heat went with it. -18 this morning, and the high is -10. The temps dropped so quickly the trees never had a chance to recover, and they're still bent over at the tops. I don't know if the pic shows it very clearly, but the tops of the trees are still bent over to the left. They'll stay that way until it warms up above freezing again.
Attached Thumbnails Stupid wind-bent-trees.jpg  

Quick Reply: Stupid wind