Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/)
-   Other (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/)
-   -   steal proofing your RAM? (https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/other-94/steal-proofing-your-ram-167204/)

nchapa 08-30-2007 08:12 PM

steal proofing your RAM?

Hello all, I speak with great sadness and yet with great delight. Last night at about 5 a.m. cops knocked on my door, they just happen to be driving by my house while my truck was being stolen. 2 guys in my truck backing out of my driveway when cop just happened to drive by and the 2 idiots get out and start running, well they didnt get caught. But the good news is i still have my truck, broken steering column and door handle, I need a screw driver to turn it on. it can get fixed but i feel violated, it happened in my drive way, and i was awake i got home at 3 from work and was just watching tv when the cops knocked.

I am very diappointed in Dodge, my alarm didnt go off, i wouldve been out there with my 12 gauge putting holes in the scum have i heard my "factory alarm". and what about the sentry key, supposedley you cant turn it on with out the original key, my keys were in my bedroom, the thieves had a screw driver in the ignition. investigator told me the factory alarm and sentry keys are something thieves look for because its so easy to by-pass and steal in less then a minute.

Last night in this little town of about 25,000 weslaco, texas 11 trucks were stolen ford f250 and 350, and ram 2500 and 3500's 2006 and up, there have been a series of car jackings as well in the last week. I live in a border town with mexico and there is no stopping these thieves they take one minute to steal your truck and run the port of entry south into mexico, scott free in 5 to 10 minutes, what should i do, should i steal proof my truck or give up on it, sell it and get something that is not on the top of the list to get stolen like a tacoma. (seriously talking).

How can i steal proof my truck? What are the best anti theft devices, alarm, kill switch etc. i bought a club today hopefully my truck will still be there tomorrow morning.

p.s. there was 3 high speed pursuits last night 3 vehicles were recovered 2 fords and 1 dodge and 2 arrests, both mexican illegal aliens, this happened blocks away from the port of entry and while they were arresting these guys on the side of the road another 3 trucks ran the port right in frot of Police and Border Patrol. 1 cop that tried to stop them almost got run over.

sorry for the long post and thanks for the replies.
N. Chapa

06 DIESEL 08-30-2007 08:19 PM

An aftermarket alarm is very helpful as ling as it has the blinking light on the dash, this is a big deterant. You also might think about lojak or someting like that. Don't let them make your truck decisions. Show them who is boss. You could also get a boot and put it on your truck every night that way they can not move your truck. Just a few ideas.

Diesel_Storm 08-30-2007 08:20 PM

are you positive that you have a factory alarm and not just remote locks?

i know when i bought my 01 i thought it had an alarm. turns out its just remote locks and the horn only beeps to let me know it is locked.

i would definatly get an aftermarket alarm. dont skimp and buy a cheapo. buy a good one such as a Viper or a Python.

BadCompany99 08-30-2007 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by nchapa (Post 1673031)
Last night in this little town of about 25,000 weslaco, texas 11 trucks were stolen ford f250 and 350, and ram 2500 and 3500's 2006 and up, there have been a series of car jackings as well in the last week. I live in a border town with mexico and there is no stopping these thieves they take one minute to steal your truck and run the port of entry south into mexico, scott free in 5 to 10 minutes,

Just to add with your story, my husband and I were in Tucson, AZ last week. We got in at 4 am, left the dogs in the truck with the windows cracked a couple inches. Got up around 7 am to get the dogs out of the truck cause the sun was out and it was getting hot. Rolled up the windows and locked the truck. Went back out around 10 am and found my husbands 99 F250 had been broken into (in broad f'ing daylight [verymad] ) and over $2500 worth of stuff stolen, including my husbands XD40 and the two clips that went in it (they really had to tear the truck apart to find it). They waited until we took the friggin dogs out of the truck to break into it. (My dog is especially vicious if you get new the truck and he doesn't know you)

At least the cops in your area gave a flip. The Tucson police? After calling 911 three different times we had to force the 3rd person to take the serial number of the firearm because the previous two refused to take it. They didn't bother sending a cop out until FOUR days later and after waiting over three hours for him to show up (never came), we called IA and filed a complaint and the SGT there was more than happy to take our statement over the phone.

So yeah, you were more than waaaaaay lucky they didn't get away with your truck and the cops bothered to check it out. Glad to hear the theives didn't get it though.

t-boe 08-30-2007 09:55 PM

The Ravelco is pretty good. It prevented DTR member cbrahs truck from being stolen. Also get some jimmi jammers. They're little plates that go behind the door handle to prevent someone from popping the lock. Remember the only one that's going to respond to your alarm is YOU. Most people just think they're annoying and don't even look out the window.

MikeyB 08-31-2007 07:20 AM

Another cheap solution is a hidden kill switch for the lift pump.

MikeyB

lotero 08-31-2007 08:33 AM

talk to CBrahs...

NWDave 08-31-2007 08:56 AM

The club is a piece of junk. A can of compressed inert gas and a sharp rap by a hammer will take care of that obstacle.

TreeFarm 08-31-2007 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by MikeyB (Post 1673595)
Another cheap solution is a hidden kill switch for the lift pump.

MikeyB

Two questions:

1. Does that really work in all cases? In some cases, can't the IP suck at least some fuel past an inoperative lift pump?

2. Is there no chance of damage? Won't some injection pumps be damaged by low or no fuel pressure at their intake?

TreeFarm 08-31-2007 09:31 AM

How about a hidden switch and relay that routes starter solenoid power to the horns, instead of the starter solenoid. Not only would it prevent the truck from being started, but it would also sound a warning when the thieves tried to start it.

It would take some work with a wiring diagram at hand, but it should work.

lotero 08-31-2007 09:38 AM

thats a good idea, switch the power over with a switch, i would love to see the face of the thief that turns the ignition at 0300 and the air horns blast! :o

dodgezilla04 08-31-2007 09:39 AM

best means to prevent your truck from being stolen in the driveway. Park it in the garage.......

i cant however, cause it doesnt fit inside.

nchapa 08-31-2007 01:40 PM

BREAKING NEWS: This morning I saw in the news they now have the name of the ring leader (Francisco Javier Morales), and arrested 3 thugs, an unknown number of thugs were stealing up to 7 trucks per night each, cops think there might be as many as 15 to 20 thieves in this ring, and recieving 1,000 to 2,000 per stolen truck in mexico. They were not only stealing in Weslaco, Texas but all through the valley from Brownsville to Mcallen. but Weslaco was the route taken to mexico most of the time.

Thanks for all the replies.

The thieves left all their tools in my truck when they made their getaway, a screw driver.

I went to a local shop and they told me best protection is to layer anti theft devices, the more the merrier. he recommended a viper alarm shock sensitive with silent alarm mode, what that means is that if the sensitivity is high, just by putting their palms of their hand on my truck my remote will let me know, once the handle is pulled or door opened it will sound off, that should give me time to go outside and start blasting.

he also suggested a kill switch, and a club, the guy said that would be thieves might carry enough tools to disable 1 or 2 anti-theft devices, but the more i have the less chances of it getting stolen.

oh and truck doesnt fit in garage[nonono], length wise with the road armor bumpers.

dj_souvlaki 08-31-2007 07:03 PM

had one guy try to break into my truck.

end result was me chasing him with to extendo bats down the street. beat him to a plup. took his id, told him if i ever have any problems around any of my vehicles or my house i'll burn down his house. and went to sleep lol.

6speedcowboy 08-31-2007 07:34 PM

Get a dog like mine that only barks at criminals that way when you hear it bark you know to grab your gun. My dog has saved me many times. Or get the meanest nastiest dog you can find and tie him up to the truck at night that way you can let the dog handle the situation and won't have to get out of bed.